Will a new computer run a CNC machine

Thread: Will a new computer run a CNC machine

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Will a new computer run a CNC machine

Hi all , I don't have an older computer anymore and was wondering what is the best solution for running a CNC router table with a modern day computer ?
    I was going to use Mach3 or 4 .
    Update : may go with CUCNC as per ger21

I bought XP years ago , but newer desktop motherboards don't support XP .I also purchaced a copy of windows 7 .
    It wouldn't be on my network , so viruses wouldn't be a concern .
    Originally I wanted to use my laptop , but have been reading there not ideal , so it's back to building a desktop comp.
    Would be a bonus to buy an enclosure large enough to install a computers MB and the neccesary components to run a CNC router table all in one .

I read at CNCrouterparts that you can add a parallel port PCI express card to a desk top computer, but I don't know enough about this subject to determine whether it's a good choice . Also seen a product called Smooth Stepper that works with your USB port .

Anyways to sum it up , if you we're starting from scratch and had to build a new computer,
    what would your choices be ?
    Does windows 10 have to many programs running in the background , making it a poor choice ?
    I'm not trying to nickel and dime this , just wanting to learn what would be the most stable and reliable choice to run a CNC router table .

I will be using a separate computer in my home for designing , just looking for dedicated comp ideas for a CNC .

Thanks in advance guys.
    Rick

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by MajorTendonitis; 04-08-2017 at 12:06 PM.
    I don't actually know anything about CNC router tables , but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Best case scenario for running a CNC

Not too many people are using the parallel port with modern PC's. If you're using a motion controller, you can use a laptop, although a dedicated desktop is better imo. I've seen some people using those mini PC's that cost about $200 to run their control software.
    I'd recommend UCCNC rather than Mach3/Mach4. It's cheaper, and better than Mach3. And Mach4 is an unfinished product imo, that's far too complex for most people.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for the info , I'll have to check that out . I guess my main reason for wanting to go with Mach3 , was because I know people who use it and could help me if needed .

I don't actually know anything about CNC router tables , but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Downloads
    Uploads

Just watched a video on Mach 3 versus UCCNC , and UCCNC was definitely the winner

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Will a new computer run a CNC machine

Major, can you post a link to that video?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dixdance View Post
    Major, can you post a link to that video?
    He shows a comparison of the wood after its been cut by both programs

Downloads
    Uploads

Guys I hate windows 8 and 10 and wasn't aware you could still buy windows 7 . I better buy another copy before there not available anymore