Problem Problem regarding choosing hardware

Thread: Problem regarding choosing hardware

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Problem regarding choosing hardware

Hi,
    I am creating a 3 axis industrial grade cnc for woodwork, i have figured out to use linuxCNC with pc and g-code.
    but since there will be lot of dust and power fluctuation on the site, i am confused what kind of computer to use as a controller.

Please suggest some good industrial quality pc.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Problem regarding choosing hardware

Many industrial woodworking machines (such as SCM) use a regular desktop computer inside a sealed enclosure.

Downloads
    Uploads

PCs will run with an incredible amount of sawdust in them. I have opened up computers that literally have had an inch of sawdust in them. Putting the computer inside of a filtered cabinet is the best. The higher end systems have an air conditioner on the sealed cabinet and there is no air exchanged with the outside world.

If you are concerned about power fluctuations you can install a good UPS or a constant voltage transformer. Normally not required in any but the most extreme power problems. The power supplies on modern computers normally will work from 80VAC to 240VAC so not really a big problem.

Just to put things in perspective, this machine was running just fine.

And inside the VFD

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Problem regarding choosing hardware-20150829_092059-jpg   Problem regarding choosing hardware-20150828_162732-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ankur27, if you are looking for redibuilt solid platforms you can look at a panasonic toughbook. You should be able to get someone local to build you a purpose built system at a really reasonable price. Are you looking at solutions to control the power fluctuations to your entire cnc machine and computer or just the computer? If you want the entire system then look at some of the local home solar and wind power installers and they should be able to direct you or help you out with a battery bank and charging system. I, personally, would just put my computer on a UPS and call it good. You can buy one or get a couple gel cell batteries, inverter, and battery charger and make your own.