Any User Input?? - Hind Technologies / Masso HTG5A1S Controller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any User Input?? - Hind Technologies / Masso HTG5A1S Controller

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Any User Input?? - Hind Technologies / Masso HTG5A1S Controller

This looks like an amazing controller option, has anyone tried these yet? If it performs reliably, and as advertised, 500 bucks sounds like a bargain. Although if it doesn't... 500 bucks is a lot for a paper-weight.

CNC Controllers - Hind Technology Group

I have a simple CNC router project I'm interested in trying this on, 3-axis, manual tool change, stepper control (Clearpath servos eventually), etc. My concern is that I can't find hardly any reviews or feedback regarding this controller online. That is, any reviews from people actually using it. There are a few videos and blurbs about it out there but they all appear to only be from either the manufacturer, a distributor, or someone given the controller to review. By no means do I consider this a negative thing, as I realize this is a new product and you have to start somewhere. Yet at the same time I'm a bit reluctant. Any input?

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by NardisAmps; 01-13-2017 at 01:10 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Any User Input?? - Hind Technologies / Masso HTG5A1S Controller

I purchased one to control my dual drive plasma table (needing a slave axis).

I've only been testing it on the bench just to get a feel for it before I swap it in.

It's a bit rough out of the box (programming-wise). I had the update sent to me to specifically run a plasma system and there wasn't much improvement.

I'm emailing the company to resolve the few issues I've encountered and hopefully provide some positive feedback. Doesn't help that there's a huge time difference between AUS and the US, lol.

I think the system shipped a little early before making them run-ready. it does show some promise once the bugs get resolved.

The instructions do show that they connect to Clearpaths. I do have a Clearpath driven 3 axis router ( ) and those motors connected to the signal outputs like any other stepper system I messed with so I don't think there will be any issues with that. Not sure if the Masso is configured for the collision detection interrupt from the Clearpath since I don't have the mill/router software.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't like to criticize but this is a little frustrating. This is a decent chunk of money and so far the problems are compounding. If you're thinking about getting a Masso, I advise to wait until some of these problems are resolved. Or maybe it's me? I don't know but there isn't much out there to support this.

I purchased through the US supplier, CNC4PC. It wasn't even wrapped. It showed up in a box with a single sheet of bubble wrap lying underneath the unit with the Masso pressed against the box just asking to be damaged from shipping. Pathetic. $500 and you can't even wrap the unit entirely with ten cents worth of bubble wrap?

Like I said in the last post, I just have it rigged on the bench to test before I go through the hassle to tear apart my working plasma table.

I'm assuming whichever version (plasma, mill, lathe) you order, you get the mill (I ordered the plasma version but the interface was for mill). I still wanted to give it a shot because I was excited to have this unit after having seen it on Neo7CNC's YouTube video.

I logged in using the default password and browsed the screens. So far looks pretty good. I checked out the setup screen (F1) but couldn't find the I/O setup screen like what's shown in Hind's YouTube video. I know he says it's what's to come for 2017 but what good is it if I can't even configure my I/O's? Maybe it's in the latest software update so I'll push that off for now.

I wasn't going to dive too deep into this unit right now since I believe I needed the latest software to do anything. I figure I could at least set the time. Instructions say to go into MDI and type the time in a specific format. I do it but nothing happens.

I give it a break and contact Hind for the latest plasma update. It arrives and I install it without any issues.

The Masso boots up and the screen format changed for a plasma setup which starts to seem promising.

I go back into the setup screen but nothing has changed. No I/O screen and no way to slave and axis.

I spend a while trying to select/unselect the checkboxes in the setup screen but I can't figure it out. The online documentation says nothing. I eventually catch it in one of Hind's YouTube video that you use the spacebar. Ok, so that works.

Figure I want to try and jog (simulate jogging) the machine (it's not hooked up but I do have a spare G540 and steppers that I'll hook up later).

Well, the Masso booted up with the axes in different positions so I wanted to zero it. Instructions say to hold CTRL+ALT+0 to zero all the axes. Nothing. Well, let me try to Home it (CTRL+ALT+Home). The Masso starts to jog but after a second it alarms for a Homing Error. Ok, how do I clear the alarm? Nothing in the instructions. I tried cycling the E-stop. Nothing. So I cycle power. I tried homing and zeroing numerous ways but nothing works to ready the machine. I can load a file but I can't run it because I can't ready the machine because it can't home. I get the machine's position to X0 Y0 Z0 and even in the setup I have the home set identically but the machine won't say it's at home.

Jogging doesn't even jog. It starts to move for a few increments but stops. I have to tap to move the axes. Not convenient at all.

I can set the time now.

I emailed Hind about these issues a couple days ago so I'll do my best to remain patient.

I just discovered something else. After the Masso boots up, you log in and then need to cycle the E-stop to clear the alarm; a great safety feature. Well, I found out you can still jog the machine even with the E-stop alarm activated. Not good. However, after you do cycle the E-strop and then activate it again, then it does freeze the axes.

I hope Hind is working hard to fix these issues.

I don't want to turn people away because I really want this thing to work. Once it has the bugs fixed, it has potential to be the best out there.

Downloads
    Uploads

Once it has the bugs fixed, it has potential to be the best out there.
    Unfortunately, it sounds like it's got quite a ways to go.
    Being the second version they've produced, you'd think it would be pretty close to ready right out of the gate.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hind said they'll be releasing a new update this week which should expand the controllers capabilities.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rbmgf7 View Post
    Hind said they'll be releasing a new update this week which should expand the controllers capabilities.
    Any more update on this, im quite tempted to buy one, just not till they have a few more features (backlash compensation, probing etc...)

Downloads
    Uploads

Same here, I'm sitting on the funds, but very reluctant to jump in. It's been well over a month, so I hope rbmgf7 had a good outcome with this.

edit: THIS is exactly why I'm sitting on my $$. Software upgrades are great, I have absolutely no issue with that. But what happens 6 months after I order one, and they have a (yet another) hardware update? I'm now stuck with beta hardware, while they are moving forward with new features that may not be available to me in future software upgrades. I expect this in phone technology. I don't want this in my CNC controller technology. I think I just talked myself out of this controller, at least for the time being. I hate it when people release underdeveloped, incomplete technology, with the promise of upgrades.

After further research, I sort of get why they launched the product. Their kikstarter (or whatever it was) funding fell way short of their goal, but they apparently had enough to get seed funding and went to production anyway. Good for them, not so good for those buying beta product that's subject to hardware changes so early on. They had a previous version all-in-one controller, so it seems a little strange they crowd-funded the new version.

Any User Input?? - Hind Technologies / Masso HTG5A1S Controller-capture-jpg

Last edited by blades; 03-21-2017 at 12:54 PM.
    <a href="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/mini-lathe/82871-7-x-10-project-started.html" target="_blank">7X10 Lathe conversion</a>
    <a href="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/open-source-cnc-machine-designs/335846-cnc.html" target="_blank">Custom X-Carve router</a>
    <a href="http://www.linkedin.com/in/tooldesign" target="_blank">LinkedIn</a>

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by blades View Post
    Same here, I'm sitting on the funds, but very reluctant to jump in. It's been well over a month, so I hope rbmgf7 had a good outcome with this.

edit: THIS is exactly why I'm sitting on my $$. Software upgrades are great, I have absolutely no issue with that. But what happens 6 months after I order one, and they have a (yet another) hardware update? I'm now stuck with beta hardware, while they are moving forward with new features that may not be available to me in future software upgrades. I expect this in phone technology. I don't want this in my CNC controller technology. I think I just talked myself out of this controller, at least for the time being. I hate it when people release underdeveloped, incomplete technology, with the promise of upgrades.

After further research, I sort of get why they launched the product. Their kikstarter (or whatever it was) funding fell way short of their goal, but they apparently had enough to get seed funding and went to production anyway. Good for them, not so good for those buying beta product that's subject to hardware changes so early on. They had a previous version all-in-one controller, so it seems a little strange they crowd-funded the new version.

Any User Input?? - Hind Technologies / Masso HTG5A1S Controller-capture-jpg

I decided I wanted to try one, and would be interested to know how they have dealt with hardware changes you speak of. Your post makes it sound like they have upgraded hardware for those that have purchased the v2 when you state "and they have (yet another) hardware update". Are you referring to the hardware change from the first model to the second, or a hardware change within the current model since its recent introduction? Thanks for the info.
    -a
    :-)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by imation View Post
    Any more update on this, im quite tempted to buy one, just not till they have a few more features (backlash compensation, probing etc...)
    I haven't had time to mess with it. I was hoping for a relatively turnkey system when I bought it.

I did receive the second update but I still need to load it.

It is concerning that there isn't much talk about this unit elsewhere nor any new YouTube videos demonstrating the hardware.

In the meantime, save your money.

Downloads
    Uploads

I bought one. I like it.
    It loads up in less than 30 seconds and seems really stable.
    No windows and no constant need to update the firewall.
    Fairly capable with most of the G code that I need to run my programs.
    Canned drilling cycle were added in the latest update.
    Lots of inputs and outputs to run everything I could ever want including alert lights.

Timothy

Dyna Mechtronics DM4400, HAAS VF-0E, HAAS Mini Mill

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Guys; Anymore experiences to report?

I just reviewed the web site and frankly it is a bit thin. I understand that as it takes more effort to launch a company and a new product than many think. It has been six months now so I'm wondering if most of the bugs have been ironed out? Frankly 6 months isn't that long for a new product that is obviously under heavy development.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think it's been around longer than 6 months, and is actually not the first version they've produced.

Just my opinion, but if you're going to make a product like this, you just can't release a half finished product. The bad publicity will kill you.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If they made it usable for a mill and lathe more would be interested. Having to install different software to use it on a lathe is not something people are interested in.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I bought a Masso last week and to be honest I think its the best thing since sliced bread. I had it installed into my machine in less than an hour and most of it working perfectly. Some of the help is very thin on the website but enough to get it all going. I have sent Jatinda some suggestions about how what to add to the website and he needs to get it in a downloadable PDF. I think the issue is he is busy producing and developing this unit and is basically a one man band and maybe a bit overrun.

The unit is so simple to setup and runs flawlessly and is fast. It looks at 80 line ahead in the code. I bought the 5 axis one but you dont need to you can buy a 3 axis then pay I think 40 bucks for a software upgrade to 4 and 5 axis for 40 bucks each axis. There is a mill and lathe version the hardware is the same. You just pay for what firmware you want if you already own a mill version you can if you want make it a lathe version by uploading that firmware. Not difficult at all.

I built this mill with a PMDX126 and a PMDX107 spindle controller and started it off on Mach3 I then converted it over to LinuxCNC which was a nightmare to get going but ran much better than Mach3 ever did. I was going to convert it to a Mesa motion controller with LinuxCNC and had a test setup I was playing with on a bench but setting up the HAL files is horendous you need to be a programmer so it was very slow to get anything done. I wanted to use a motion controller and get away from computers and parallel ports. I stumbled across the Masso did some research on the net about it and ordered it. There has been a few hiccups getting it interfaced correctly but that really is only lack of some paperwork.

I have been running the machine on it..I have 6nm steppers on this machine and they are 220V steppers so has a fair bit of grunt and the Masso really throws it around. The machine sounds totally different as well. It is much smoother. Even a mate of mine who came over when I was running some Gcode on it to see the motion and accelleration etc commented as soon as he walked in saying Wow that sounds different. I have ordered some servos to fit to this machine and they will be here in a week or two so I will convert it to servos using the Masso and I think it will be just terrific.

The best thing I like about the Masso is it has just the information you need on the screen..no superfuous crap or fancy crap. I saw some comments on another thread about not HDMI...why do you need it??????? VGA is plenty fine for it. I am sure his idea was to make it powerfull in hardware and simple to operate and it certainly is that. At this stage I give it a thumbs up and am very happy with it

Mark

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any User Input?? - Hind Technologies / Masso HTG5A1S Controller-img_4938-jpg  
    Last edited by ToolMach_Aust; 08-03-2017 at 09:43 AM. Reason: add a picture

Downloads
    Uploads

Mark,

Really nice install. Super clean and tidy.
    I like the fact that the heat producing drives are above the controller.
    And you're using the minimum amount of inputs and outputs.
    So I'm guessing there's no tool changer?

Can you post a pic of the front of the machine?

Timothy

Dyna Mechtronics DM4400, HAAS VF-0E, HAAS Mini Mill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 2ferrous View Post
    Mark,

Really nice install. Super clean and tidy.
    I like the fact that the heat producing drives are above the controller.
    And you're using the minimum amount of inputs and outputs.
    So I'm guessing there's no tool changer?

Can you post a pic of the front of the machine?

Timothy
    No Toolchanger yet..I am in the process of designing one for it. I want to see what the Masso can do first also what is required for its inputs and outputs for the tool changer so will get that information from Jatinda

Here is a couple of pics of my machine. I bought it as a base machine but it is the same as a Novakon Torus or a Smithy 1240 or a Syil X6 big table...all from the same foundry. It currently has 3 phase steppers but I have some servos and drives on the way to change them out

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any User Input?? - Hind Technologies / Masso HTG5A1S Controller-img_3873-jpg   Any User Input?? - Hind Technologies / Masso HTG5A1S Controller-img_3458-jpg   Any User Input?? - Hind Technologies / Masso HTG5A1S Controller-img_3872-2-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Where did you buy this machine through?

Downloads
    Uploads

I just bought a lathe version ,it has capable tool change inputs for two different types of changers ,i am really looking forward to some CSS and it has encoder feed back for syncro spindle and feed for threading.
    Seems to use a Fanuc basic post for Gcode and works with Fusion 360 ,should be here soon i will report on the current software and we will see how it goes ,i hope and pray very well.

I am so sick of Mach i could puke ,version 3 and 4 never want to hear there name again!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ToolMach_Aust View Post
    The unit is so simple to setup and runs flawlessly and is fast. It looks at 80 line ahead in the code.
    Thanks Mark for your review. I'm about to pull the plug and buy one. Can't wait to get away from windows and all its inherant issues.

Looks like the Masso has come a long way in the past year. I really think a all in one unit like the Masso is the future of home CNC.

Downloads
    Uploads

I had some real issues with it on a lathe ,backlash would not work and they could not fix it ,software had issues with front and rear tool post .
    I finally sent it back to them and then there was and i was concerned about doing so but did it any way.

Big mistake they tried saying there where issues with Modbus and a axis and b axis ,none of the where ever hooked up or used ,this is a two axis lathe with x and z only .

Any way they RIPPED me off ,buyer beware ,i think they can get the mill part right but lathe it is a mess!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast