Seeking advice on converting machine to either Mach or LinuxCNC - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeking advice on converting machine to either Mach or LinuxCNC

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Seeking advice on converting machine to either Mach or LinuxCNC

I'm not sure if AF is the answer. It seems that it may not be possible to to directly connect a sin/cos encoder directly to a 18x0 card. So far I have not been able to find any information on anyone actually doing this. Somewhere I saw something about different firmware that would allow the connection, but so far I can't find it. Contacting Galil might be useful.

You might want to take a look at this application note http://galil.com/download/application-note/note1248.pdf I doesn't really apply to the DMC-1830, but some good information.

Here is some additional information for a DMC-17x0, this would also apply to a DMC-18x0 sine encoders | Galil

Downloads
    Uploads

I took this section of the DMC-17x0/18x0 manual as saying that it would accept analog encoder feedback without needing any additional hardware.

DMC-1700/1800

The DMC-1700/1800 accepts feedback from either a rotary or linear encoder. Typical encoders provide two channels in quadrature,
    known as CHA and CHB. This type of encoder is known as a quadrature encoder. Quadrature encoders may be
    either single-ended (CHA and CHB) or differential (CHA, CHA-, CHB, CHB-). The controller decodes either type
    into quadrature states or four times the number of cycles. Encoders may also have a third channel (or index) for
    synchronization. The DMC-1700/1800 can also interface to encoders with pulse and direction signals. Refer to the “CE” command in
    the command reference for details. There is no limit on encoder line density; however, the input frequency to the controller must not exceed 3,000,000
    full encoder cycles/second (12,000,000 quadrature counts/sec). For example, if the encoder line density is 10,000
    cycles per inch, the maximum speed is 300 inches/second. If higher encoder frequency is required, please consult
    the factory. The standard encoder voltage level is TTL (0-5v), however, voltage levels up to 12 Volts are acceptable. (If using
    differential signals, 12 Volts can be input directly to the DMC-1700/1800. Single-ended 12 Volt signals require a
    bias voltage input to the complementary inputs).
    The DMC-1700/1800 can accept analog feedback (+/-10v) instead of an encoder for any axis.
    For more information see the command AF in the command reference.
    That being said, if adding one of the analog I/O boards makes things easier and isn't too costly, I'm all for it. I've bookmarked about a dozen application notes, so I have a LOT of reading to do tonight! This is almost like being in school again!

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm learning right along with you. This is interesting

Downloads
    Uploads

I posted this on the Galil forum this morning.

Using 12 ?A analog differential encoders w/ a DMC-18x0 (DMC-1830) | Galil

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, after a couple days of reading (the post you linked here in particular), you are definitely right that it can't be done without the extra interpolation hardware. Now I need to figure out which will be more economical, buy the Galil converter or replace the encoders with their digital equivalents.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BMcCaskill View Post
    Well, after a couple days of reading (the post you linked here in particular), you are definitely right that it can't be done without the extra interpolation hardware. Now I need to figure out which will be more economical, buy the Galil converter or replace the encoders with their digital equivalents.
    You might take a look at Heidenhain EXE boxes on Ebay.
    These often go for around $50 (cheapest are typically EXE602s which do 5X interpolation max EXE610s do 10X, 660s do 400X!)

Downloads
    Uploads

Double posted

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PCW_MESA View Post
    You might take a look at Heidenhain EXE boxes on Ebay.
    These often go for around $50 (cheapest are typically EXE602s which do 5X interpolation max EXE610s do 10X, 660s do 400X!)

Thanks for mentioning those. I was wondering if they were compatible or not. Excuse my ignorance, but does the input current rating have to match exactly (12μA encoder w/ 11μA converter) and what are the advantages/disadvantages to lower/higher input frequencies (5x vs.10x etc.)?

Downloads
    Uploads

The input current does not have to match exactly (the EXE box spec is 7 to 16 uA PP)
    Higher interpolation factors give you better resolution but may limit your maximum speed
    (the pdf EXE6XX manuals are available just do a google search to get full specs)

Downloads
    Uploads

The EXE box is interesting, never seen those before. Another option might be to replace the read heads, here is an option I am looking at for new installations.

MSR50H linear magnetic encoder (readhead),1/2.5/5/25 um,Good,like RENISHAW LM10 | eBay

These are supposed to be compatible with the Renishaw LM10 read heads. I have had some conversations with the manufacturer and got them to make some product changes. I have not tested them yet, but plan to, compared to the LM10s on my machines. They should work with the standard 2mm magnetic tape.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    The EXE box is interesting, never seen those before. Another option might be to replace the read heads, here is an option I am looking at for new installations.

Well, I just ordered 3 EXE 650B X25/10'S so I'll keep you posted on how they work out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12