old technology help needed

Thread: old technology help needed

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default old technology help needed

I am running a 150" x 60" xy laser-cutting table built in 1996 and my controller/driver has died, no longer supported. I was using an Arrick MD-2c controller using a vintage Windows95 computer. The Q-basic program outputs 4 phase outputs per motor, in a half-step pattern. All the modern controller/drivers seem to use two outputs per motor, step and direction and generate the step pulse sequence from those outputs. I have another MD-2 available, but it can not drive the 3v, 4a NEMA34 motors. I would upgrade to Mach 3 or 4, but all of my pattern files are generated in CorelDraw (version 8), .plt files. my attempts to convert these to G-code have been less than satisfactory, as the gcode did not transfer the optimized tool-paths.

Questions
    Is there another motor driver that can use the 4 digital outputs I am currently generating to operate the motors?

if not... is there a way to take the low-power output from my spare MD-2 (15v,2a) and amplify the current output to run the table? I was thinking a solid-state relay board used as switches for a larger power supply, but I haven't been able to find a schematic for something like this.

If not and not... is there a CAM program that will use my .plt files as they are? I have spent a lot of time optimizing them, and hate to think about having to generate all new patterns.

Appreciate any and all help or suggestions.