Wireless Networking Problems Solved!

View Poll Results: Do you have Wireless Internet in your home or appartment?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

65 87.84%
  • No

8 10.81%
  • In the near future

1 1.35%
  • Don't trust it!

2 2.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Wireless Networking Problems Solved!

Cool Wireless Networking Problems Solved!

For months I've been having difficulty getting my home wireless internet working for my laptop, then a good friend of mine suggested this little program to help diagnose the system!

The program is called "Network Stumbler" and it actually works! First and most obvious problem was solved instantly when I realized three other neighbors were using the same "Channel 11"

When I switched to a different channel, my network stayed connected longer, and at a much higher speed!

Hope this little FREE program can help you with your wireless system!

Eric

Similar Threads:

Cool

One of the other things that cought my attention was the actual number of Neighbors who were also using Wireless! This program lets you see the signal strength for each neighbor, and which ones are properly set up with encription protection!

An alarming number are not protected at all, and if I wanted to I could use their internet for FREE!

Now, mine is using the 128-bit encription, and requires a key to access my network! No one is going to connect to mine without it!

Eric

Downloads
    Uploads

From my experience (set up 2 networks), set up the name (SSID) on the router and PC's, do NOT broadcast the name, set up matching encryption on router and PC, and you should be good to go. I only use the wireless for very occasional laptop use, and a Tivo. The other PC's , second Tivo, Xbox and a print server are wired. It's much faster than the wireless.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I have used net stumbler for over two years, When traveling and when i need to send email I could have the netstumbler running and find a location, Now more and more are encripted, so that is another thing to use to help in that respect.

there is also a version to use on PDA's.

If you have not tried just have it running while driving around and see how many wireless's there are on your average route to work.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by joe2000che
    I have used net stumbler for over two years, When traveling and when i need to send email I could have the netstumbler running and find a location, Now more and more are encripted, so that is another thing to use to help in that respect.

there is also a version to use on PDA's.

If you have not tried just have it running while driving around and see how many wireless's there are on your average route to work.
    LOL!!!

I did that the day I got it, it was amazing how many access ports there are in one area!

I like the idea of using it to locate a good connection while you are traveling, as everyone is so connected with email these days!

Neet trick!

Eric

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

yeah got mine a few years ago then the neighbors started getting theirs and none of them are putting the encryption on theirs when i take my laptop to the front of my home, it always tries to get on someone elses network because their signal is stronger than mine up there, so i went and told them about it they didn't care less too funny.

Downloads
    Uploads

Also another program is Kismet i think it is for linux not sure..

But there are people now being charged with unauthorised access to networks, This is a crime according to many states, But it is still unclear if someone intersepts a signal being broadcast without encription, and just uses it for internet access if there is a crime committed or not.

So in short be careful just sitting in your car infront of someones house... LOL

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs down A Warning For Wireless Users

Quote Originally Posted by widgitmaster
    One of the other things that cought my attention was the actual number of Neighbors who were also using Wireless! This program lets you see the signal strength for each neighbor, and which ones are properly set up with encription protection!

An alarming number are not protected at all, and if I wanted to I could use their internet for FREE!

Now, mine is using the 128-bit encription, and requires a key to access my network! No one is going to connect to mine without it!

Eric
    Beware of Linksys Problem with Hackers. My Wireless network was taken over by someone with the right software and they actually Kicked me Off even though I made all the correct changes to Passwords and Settings with a Linksys Rep on the Phone. The First warnings where a slow connection speed using a router hard wired to a Cable Modem with no real explaination. Then Norton warned of an Intruder being Blocked 5 times today. Then no internet connection even though I was hard wired on a Desk Top and Wireless on a Lap Top. If you use wireless you are not safe. Read http://www.netstumbler.com/2006/07/1...lnerabilities/

I didn't think this was possible until today. A Linksys Rep directed me to this site. Sorry for the bad news. The only safe places are in the "boon docks" with no neighbors. :frown:

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Downloads
    Uploads

They definitely have a long way to go on the wireless routers. One thing that helps my linksys router is hacked firmware. It helps keep the amatures out, but if a pro tried to get in they probably could!

Not to worried as I don't have anything that isn't backed up on my system and I often screw it up myself. So through mistakes of my own I end up doing a wipe and clean install every couple of months.

The Hacked firmware will even let you broadcast and recieve on the european channels (although the FCC would probably take exception to this)

thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Downloads
    Uploads

hello:
    i have a wireless router but i don't use any wireless connections in my home.
    does this mean that someone can still access my router via a wireless connection.
    i have not set up any wireless connection software, but is this done automatically by windows opperating system.
    if so would a piece of aluminum foil around the antenna's retard the signal?
    thanks

Your Wireless Router has a FirmWare control panel, which you access while in your browser software like Internet Explorer.
    While in the Control panel, you need to enable or disable wireless broadcast, or encrypt it so no one can get in!
    You will find all the access information in the owners manual (when you actually read it!)

Eric

Downloads
    Uploads

A lot of people take them right out of the box and never setup encryption.

A few pointers
    1 If you wireless router has power level settings, don't use anymore than you have too.
    2 use WEP encryption and DON'T use the default key.
    3. don't use an easy to remember key and make it longgggg.
    4 enable the routers firewall.

Think of it this way, a simple mechanical padlock on a building doesn't keep out amateur theives that want in, but probably keeps out those who are just out for vandelism. An extravagent mechanical padlock may deter the amateurs, but any pro that wants in will get in. Same basic concept applies to networks.

One last point, in the wired world, DSL topology is less likely to be compromised than tv based cable.

Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'd like to add that WEP is a flawed scheme that should be avoided unless no other means of security is available.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wired_Equivalent_Privacy

/Bengt

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bengan View Post
    I'd like to add that WEP is a flawed scheme that should be avoided unless no other means of security is available.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wired_Equivalent_Privacy

/Bengt
    True, WPA is better if it is an option. Again though, think of it this way, a simple mechanical padlock on a building doesn't keep out amateur theives that want in, but probably keeps out those who are just out for vandelism. An extravagent mechanical padlock may deter the amateurs, but any pro that wants in will get in. Same basic concept applies to networks. And considering that your wifi setup is only good for 100 feet, that means in many settings someone has to be inside your space to receive, and in many settings they have to be so near your space that it would be obvious.

Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Downloads
    Uploads

An even more basic step when setting up a router, would be to change the router log-in name and password immediately, as most all are 'admin' with no password by default.

If a savvy hacker is nearby, and he gets into your router by calling up its web page interface, and he changes the default name and password, it just became his router Then he can set the WEP or WPA passwords to suit himself.

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would be careful wandering onto other peoples networks, ok most people with open nets are pretty stupid, but in the UK (not sure about US) its considered to be a breach of the computer misuse act. There have been a few cases where people have accidentally caused problems, and ended up with legal action being taken.

Also if your using someone elses network and they are reasonably bright they can see all your traffic in the clear (eg if you check your mail they can get your email password), perform man in the middle attacks, etc.

In short if your going to be leeching someone elses broadband, at least be smart enough not to put any personal details / credit card numbers through it. And dont expect much sympathy if the owner decides to take some measures to deal with your incursion.