Need to know about software defined networking

Thread: Need to know about software defined networking

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need to know about software defined networking

I was reading an article about software defined networking (SDN), this is the link https://nci.ca/sdn-software-defined-...how-will-this/ . I guess this technology can make several changes in network and security. Can somebody tell me more information about this like its pros and cons, its method of working etc.

Similar Threads:

Default Re: Need to know about software defined networking

If you have any VMWare hosts then those all have software routing between the guest machines in their virtual network. In this case SDN appears to be a buzzword for some new black box technology that centrally manages router rules. I'm not sure what kind of a data center you have but these sorts of "big iron" solutions are usually overpriced marketing gimmicks sold to Fortune 500 companies to drain them eternally with a support contact that they can never get out of. Once your network topology is managed magically in the cloud you lose 100% of your control and there is no going back. It would require a large investment in new hardware. software and yearly support contract to manage.

Here is an example:
    Cisco Open Network Environment: Bring the Network Closer to Applications - Cisco

This is how networking functions inside any Hypervisor, like an ESX host. It's a buzzword for virtual networks. VLAN is technically "Software Defined Networking" and the same is true of assigning multiple IP addresses to a single Ethernet port. None of this is new. Layers 2 and 3 of the OSI model are certainly defined by software so you could say the all networking is software defined. Outside of these examples you are talking about some protocol like OpenFlow that is an extra layer on top of the existing TCP\IP network that seeks to remove the control of routing decisions from the router hardware. I'm not aware of the need for this. It seems like an extra layer of bull**** to mask a poorly engineered network topology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenFlow

Downloads
    Uploads

He is correct.