connecting to 3d printer

Thread: connecting to 3d printer

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default connecting to 3d printer

I have acquired a 3d systems actua 2100 3d printer, and I have been trying to figure out how to network it to my computer. I have the correct driver software (alegro), but I must be inept at windows nt, because I have been unable to connect. Does anyone out there have any experience with these machines, or might anyone know someone who does? 3d systems no longer provides support.

Clint

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Actua printer

Hi Clint,

Did you ever end up getting the printer up and running? I'm trying to get mine working over here...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sort of. I had it so that i could print out the test objects, but I never really got it hooked up to my computer correctly. I have been storing it for a few years until I can get a building permit so that I can build my workshop. In the meantime, I have a makerbot cupcake cnc, which has been serving me well for the last 7 months.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool thanks for responding! Interesting, so do you actually have the allegro software?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think I do somewhere. I actually downloaded it from this (who knows, it might still be there):
    "Hi Clint

I have attached the document that covers the installation of the software that you will use to submit jobs to the Actua printer from your workstation over a network connection. This is the software which I said I could get you and it can be downloaded from the following ftp site: ftp://ftp.3dsystems.com/customersupp...mssoftware/mjm. The name of the file is actua20.zip. This software is to be installed on a workstation on the network into which you install the printer. The network connection can be made via a crossover cable or a hub.

If the machine is not booting up so that you have a display on the LCD, this is where the product quickly becomes unsupportable on 3D Systems' part as we do not have any parts or the equipment to maintain the system. The machine does not utilize a driver in the same sense that a typical printer does. It actually has a self-contained pc on board running Windows NT 4.0 software and the control software for the machine. If the hard drive no longer runs or Windows NT is corrupt (no longer supported by Microsoft), there is not much we can do.

Sorry, I wish I had better news.

Dwayne Moore
    Technical Support Engineer
    3D Systems, Inc.
    800 793-3669"

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hmm, the link seems to be good, but I need a login and password to access their pdf. Is the zip file big? Let me know what the size is (if you still have it) and I can send a link if you would be so kind to share it. I would appreciate it immensely...

I am currently in the process of finding the source for parts for the machine and getting the software working. If you are interested I will share all the info I get on this project so you can get yours running too. As you probably have found out, these machines are completely unsupported, but hopefully we can dig up the old info. Thanks Clint. If you want to reach me directly you can at henry (dot) minden (at) gmail (dot) com

Cheers!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It may be a while before I can dig up the software. I think I have it saved on a disk somewhere though, it may be at my parents house.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey any luck finding the software? I'm about to recieve the printer, getting stoked

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

or alternatively if you still have the login for the 3dsystems site. I think the link worked but I don't have the login or password to get on the ftp site. Thanks!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gentlemen: I have been watching the dialog about actua 2100 3d printers.
    have one in my garage, complete. software,and most info..need info on actua20.zip
    have the allegro 2.0,and the update software. or some kind soul,with the info on
    making the finale connection to the printer from a stand alone computer.
    thanx in advance.....firefox

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Firefox and welcome to the actua 2100 owners club! I finally have begun construction on my own garage, and hope to move my machine out of my parents garage where it has been since I started this thread in 2006. Of course, in the meantime, I think that I have misplaced my copy of the allegro software. If I can get a copy, then I will be going through the same thing myself. I was looking for it again today actually.

Clint

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

clint:
    I made a slight misquote, in my first msg. correct as follows.......(in my friends garage.)
    Joe Briere, is the actual owner of said actua 2100 3D printer. He just purchased it on an
    auction site. it is in full working condition,with all the supplied software.I am kinda talking
    in his stead. We, (joe) and I, have been working towards a fully working 3D printer,
    ( rapid prototype ) for awhile now. he has made (from scratch) two working CNC prototypes,the latest,fully productive,his parallel project is a larger,fully functional unit.
    so.....that being said, realalizing that the 2100 is a stand alone printing device,we,(He)
    and I, have looked to having a direct hookup to a desk,or laptop,computer.
    the unit works thru the test mode fine. have a day or two to play with it, and can update the findings.(and the software) E'mail ?.......mine..hudsoncori@yahoo.com
    hope I didn't start off on a bad note with this site. just in a hurry..this is a fun project.
    regards....firefox

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

gentlemen: re:actua 2100 3d printer...
    hook-up via,desktop, or laptop computer. some info..the 2100 has a stand-alone computer on-board, and as such, has two empty card slots. one mouse,and one keyboard plug as well. so....choices....one...find a older video driver board (circa win 98,me,2000,or
    nt 4.0) goodwill is a source. and then install it in one of the slots. (power off while doing this) then power up the 2100. (video card installed,and mouse and keyboard pluged in)
    then the plug and play part of the system should find the new video board....now....
    you should see what is on the desk-top..ok..this is the first step..second, a cross over
    cable..ie..ether-net, or.....another card to install....a usb card, along side the video card. ( in the second slot ) now the fun part...1, restart the 2100,go to the set-up
    menu...enable the usb board, save settings,exit (esc) ok...should be able to use the
    usb outputs on the card now....do nothing else..!!!!! restart the 2100.

step 2. go to the inter-net (with your main computer ) and google..cross connect two
    computers.....make a selection from the results...should see many how-to's on hooking
    up two computers...ie: with a cross connect cable, or a usb connection ( thats why
    you installed the usb card)......clear as mud guys.....patience......it will work......

hope all this helps get the 2100 up and running........firefox

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

clint:
    Hi..actua 2100 3D printer....cool..
    7-22-2011 (today ) have just had the pleasure of seeing ( our ) actua 2100 up and
    running...Details....first..installed a video card in the printer motherboard(soundblaster)
    to watch the 3D's computer,second,a keyboard and a mouse also(for input and talks)
    third.a crosscable (ethernet) forth, I installed win-2000 nt on an old computer(circa 98 second edition) then connected both computers via crosscable,(ethernet to ethernet)
    installed the allegro 2.0 ed (win 2000 (win NT 4.0 )) version.
    got the program up and running on the 2000. OK....here is where the fun starts....
    the tcip/ip address..????? (the reason for the monitor on the 3D computer) it's password
    protected..!!!! can not get it from the 3D printer..!!!!!! and you need it...!!!!
    it has to be available when the allegro 2.0 is installed,plus you have to have a unique
    name for the computer...(anything..) the allegro may have to be uninstalled a few times until everything is right. (if you have the tcip/ip address..! ) we were lucky..
    someone had written it down in one of the manuals..( found it after a few hours trying to get into the 3D operating system ) plugged it in, (after a few install-uninstalls )
    and the two computers started talking to each other....and it pretty much took off from there.. works great..!!! here's the deal.....I (we ) will post a zip version of the allegro
    2.0 software, and the tcip/ip we used...( it may happen to be the same used in all models) I will copy the contents off the drive ( in the 3D ) and see if I can get thru the password block. ( have to set a unique tcip/ip address in the 3D unit to use )
    will post this, and any other info I (we ) can get to make all this happen....firefox

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

a foot note. ( or two )
    joe, (owner of the 2100) has posted some videos of his work on U'tube. including one of
    the 2100 3D printer up and running. (this, lastnite/this morning) his handle is
    joebriere should be able to google it and watch em.....thanks .... firefox

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

clint:
    another boo-boo on my part.....you tube, brierejoe, instead of joe briere,.
    actua 2100..further....a ip look-up program(a ping program ) should provide you with the
    tcip/ip address of the 3D printer. (have the eathernet cables connected) and from there all should go smooth. you just have to uninstall/reinstall the allegro program to insert the
    ip address...good luck to you....firefox.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: connecting to 3d printer

I'm finally printing parts! connecting to 3d printer-img_0599-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: connecting to 3d printer ACTUA 2100

Hi Guys,
    I just bought for a fun project an old Actua 2100 Printer,
    I know this is a very old post and maybe..Dead but I was wondering if some of you are still active if there is any possible way to obtain a copy of the Allegro software 2.0 which is basically Running the machine from a NT workstation,
    if you have it please mail it to me and Thanks...to:
    ecletticoengineering@gmail.com
    Thank you so much!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: connecting to 3d printer

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    I'm finally printing parts!
    Guys....desperately need a copy of allegro software to run Actua 2100, I know this is an old post but any chance you guys still have a copy of it?
    it would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you!.....So Much!
    ecletticoengineering@gmail.coom