Post your Linux software success stories

Thread: Post your Linux software success stories

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Post your Linux software success stories

Greetings,
    Curious if anyone would like to chime in regards what is working for them regards using a Linux operating system, and all the software types we cnc users require.

Frankly, for me, the thrill with windows has really left the building, and I honestly wonder why developers want to work with such a changing mess. Really? Are we all going to be happy with a keystroke logging cortana/Syri operating system running one of our machines? You can only find an option to turn this garbage off in the most expensive version, and I'm not sure why we would agree with the added cost for what we do.

Sadly, the whole of options regards enjoyable to use cad/cam is almost non-existant for Linux, at least affordably. But, I am finding some good news in my Linux endeavor. With Linux Mint and wineHQ, I,ve got some of my old favorites running pretty nice. My all time favorite 2d cad is Autosketch. It installed and seems to run great. For 3d, I use Moi and Viacad. Moi is running great now under wine after I found a little script that smoothed some ragged fonts. I did not try Viacad yet.

For cam, VcarvePro installed and seems to run flawlessly, and the last program I installed, an old copy of Corel8.... seems to work too! Wine seems to have come a long way since I last tried it.

So, perhaps others have some good experience to share. I sure hope developers are taking note as to the not so useful for what we do direction of windows and start to create decent Linux cad/cam... even some usb operating controls. Tormach "saw the light" if you ask me... sure hope others will follow!