1mm bit for Carbon Fiber?

Thread: 1mm bit for Carbon Fiber?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 1mm bit for Carbon Fiber?

Hi,

I have a bosch GMR 1 which I bought a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter and then bought a 1mm bit with 1/8" shank. It is Carbide Micro Drill Bits but it keeps breaking while cutting carbon fiber. Does anyone know what 1mm bit can cut carbon fiber?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Solid Carbide End Mills - Seco Tools

These will cut it , just remember to use all safety gear , you dont want to breath the dust, that would be very bad.

Downloads
    Uploads

You're probably breaking bits because of runout in that Bosch router, which wasn't really intended for bits that small. A little wobble that doesn't matter in a larger tool is a lot more significant to a smaller one like this. Using the adapter doesn't help with TIR either. Carbide bits are pretty fragile in the best of circumstances, and running them in carbon composites will dull them quickly, increasing their resistance to motion. I'd suggest a CVR diamond coated bit (here's some info about them: http://www.crystallume.com/html/comp...machining.html )to deal with that, but they're expensive, and that router will probably break them too. I'd say get a real spindle to replace that hand router if you really need to do this, but if you really can't afford one, then think about refitting your router with a more precise tool-holding system like this one: Ultra-precision ISO 20 ER Toolholders (although I'm not sure it's compatible with your palm router). Certainly do heed cgo's good advice and capture the dust; that stuff won't just kill you, it will ruin your machine as well...

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

These are the type of bits you want for cutting carbon Diamond-cut Routers
    I use them and they cut it like butter, I've only used down to 2mm size though.