3D Opensource Printer

Thread: 3D Opensource Printer

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 3D Opensource Printer

I figured I would come back into the scene ..As I havent been here for about 3 years. I began to have an interest in 3d printing so I figured I would give it a try. Especiall since I found this very affordable frame at a local business auction for $5. Frankly I think it has progressed my build to 50% as far as frame construction. just need to source some rails, stepper, and electronics... I hope to bootstrap this from scrap parts lying around except for electronics.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D Opensource Printer-imag1401-gif   3D Opensource Printer-imag1402-gif  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well scored a bunch of old HP plotters... unfortunately after tearing into one of them I found there is not any usable parts for this build...not one rod or stepper... only was able to scrounge a belt and pulleys.. So disappointing..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default next step

Well I scrounged some nylon plate from a scrap bin at a local salvage. Piece is 1x4x12inches. so I have began to machine the x axis. I purchased some O-1 drill rod from Mcmaster Carr as it seemed to be the cheapest in my area. and I could get metric diameters. I had already purchased some LM8UU bearings and some LM10UU linear bearings so I am using them.

Here are some pics of the beginnings of the carriage blocks so far. You will note i made it simple with a 45 degree slot in the block to hold the bearings and then drilled (4) 9/32 holes to accept the nylon zip ties. Spacing in those was 3/4 inch. I have assembled the x axis and it appears the 8 mm rod may be a bit too small as it flexes over the length I have decided to use. However I was surprised to see the bearing did not move at all after being tightened by Zip Ties....With this frame I can get about 24" of travel side to side, but will know for sure when it is assembled on the frame. These 80/20 1 1/2 x3 uprights will do nicely to firm it all up. and mounting the uprights will be a breeze. I drilled the holes for the rod at 5/16 Diameter and it is about the right size for a press fit of the 8 mm rod... well here are some pics

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D Opensource Printer-imag1453-jpg   3D Opensource Printer-imag1454-jpg   3D Opensource Printer-imag1456-jpg   3D Opensource Printer-imag1457-jpg  

3D Opensource Printer-imag1458-jpg   3D Opensource Printer-imag1460-jpg   3D Opensource Printer-imag1463-jpg   3D Opensource Printer-imag1462-jpg  

3D Opensource Printer-imag1461-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeard52 View Post
    I figured I would come back into the scene ..As I havent been here for about 3 years. I began to have an interest in 3d printing so I figured I would give it a try. Especiall since I found this very affordable frame at a local business auction for $5. Frankly I think it has progressed my build to 50% as far as frame construction. just need to source some rails, stepper, and electronics... I hope to bootstrap this from scrap parts lying around except for electronics.
    GREAT SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

You have been bookmarked

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

looking back I could have made this a bit more user friendly for those not having a milling machine to cut the v slot. I noticed some 3/4 or 1/2 inch aluminum angle at the Home Depot that would accept these bearings if screwed on to the side of the blocks I already had...... making the need for a high end machine unnecessary. attaching the bearing could be the same by drilling the holes close to the edge and zip tying them to the angle. using this method you would only need simple tools like a hand drill.

Additionally a router with a v groove bit could be used with a fence. using nylon or plastic for these assemblies opens up a lot of possibilities if you don't have access to a 3D printer for printed parts. After I complete this and begin printing I will produce a better looking printed part.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Electronics

today I finished testing the electronics for the steppers and SD ram.. I cheaped out and ordered from Ebay / China the ramps board and drivers as well as the sdramps card.... after two days without any documentation I learned a valuable lesson. If you do not have experience in these type of areas its best to inquire about documentation before you order as the board had no printing in the areas for these connections. I have everything working now and the steppers and drivers are running very smooth. Below is a diagram of a ramps board that I used.. the manufacturer told me to put the sdramp on the AUX #2 (10 pin) jack but it actually goes on the AUX #3 (8 pins) with two pins not connected (black circles). I have drawn a square indicating the orientation in this upload. I also tested it using the Arduino Sketch Sdrampstest.zip (included below) to verify it was detecting the SD Sim card and configuring it properly. I was very surprised to see it would read the 32 gig micro SDHC I had installed as well as the 1 gig SD i already had.

This diagram is the very same layout of my board but different manufacturer.

Also for those who wonder about the power connection on 1.4 ramp board... according to many internet sources... the 11A and 5A connection can be the same power connection with jumpers across as long as the amps is sufficient to power the heat bed and extruder. And I tried it in this fashion and it worked perfectly for my test case... I used an old laptop power brick rated at 18v - 3 amp... However the amps are not sufficient to power the 3d printer. I have a pile of old PC power supplies that will become the source.

here is a link for instruction on how to do it RepRage - How do you convert an ATX power supply to use with RAMPS 1.4?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D Opensource Printer-ramps-1-4-connections-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Received some great Nema 17 motors Yesterday. here are the specs.

These are nice 6 wire 1.8 degree stepper motors.

Type 103H5208-0842 or -1241 or -0841

NEMA 17

Sanyo Denki
    STEPPER MOTOR, 1.8 deg 200 steps/rev when full-stepping

PIN5 / RED = A
    PIN3 / BLUE= B
    PIN4 / YL = A-
    PIN2 / ORG = B-
    PIN1 / WHT = COMMON (not used)
    PIN6 / BLK = COMMON (not used)

Description

1.6 or 2.0 ohm motors

Current per Phase: 1.2A unipolar .85A bipolar
    External Depth: 39mm
    External Length / Height: 42mm
    External Width: 42mm
    Frame Size: 17
    Holding Torque: unipolar 42.48 oz/inch (0.3N-m) bipolar 59 oz/inch (.42N-m)

The Pulley has 15 teeth, 2 pitch, 7mm x 9mm diameter. A belt that came off this pulley has a number S2M100

Note: Motor has colored wires as described above

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

One other notation on these motors... They have 4mm shaft..I was able to fashion a bushing to allow the 5mm to 8mm couplers by heat shrinking tubing to the shaft. turns out they are perfect fit now.