Hoss's 3D Printers - Page 4

Page 4 of 72 FirstFirst 12345671454 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoss's 3D Printers

Downloads
    Uploads

Thought you might like this if you hadnt seen it already.
    3ders.org - How To 3D*Print Large Objects Without Warping

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    What YOU found an inch of wasted travel? Say it isnt so. I am sure before the month is up the printing world will be amazed with your contributions. The rest of us see the wheels spinning up there in your head. We are anxiously waiting to see them revealed.

No it was probably just me using outdated instructions.
    Don't think they'd spec all the rods used along the X axis to be an inch longer than needed.
    The H1 kit is due today so I just ordered some steppers and a few bits I would need to finish it, maybe next week.
    Good video, have to keep that in mind, thought a heated bed was supposed to help
    counteract that though but I have no clue yet.
    Hoss

Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- [URL]http://www.g0704.com[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh, this is where I've been getting the Nema 17 steppers, $6.89 a piece.
    eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
    Hoss

Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- [URL]http://www.g0704.com[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Hoss, regarding the warping. He goes into why it happens pretty well. I wasnt aware of all of the infill techniques, honeycombs, circles etc. I just got my heated bed mounted with a 3/8" tempered glass surface. It is 12" x 12" heated area. I do suggest some AC duct board for insulation under the heater and glass. Seems to keep the heat confined and stable. I think I am going to encase the glass and heater in the duct board. I am using a flexible silicone heating mat adhered to the glass surface.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hoss's 3D Printers-imageuploadedbytapatalk1328896435-821210-jpg This is it. Also testing my iPhone app.

A lazy man does it twice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just noticed a good price comparison page for 3D printers on 3ders.org.
    3ders.org - 3D printer price
    SeeMeCNC is at the top.
    Some cool looking designs out there already as you scroll down.
    Hoss

Downloads
    Uploads

In 5 years they will be commonplace. We are definitely in the information age! Every night there is change in this area. With more priorities toward results instead of HAL(2001) the fun is coming quick.Do you remember The Dewey Decimal System?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah 5 years we'll be 3D printing in Ally, hey, just crank up the heat in the hot end right?

First video on the Prusa is pretty long but here goes.
    Hoss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O-cUxleg48&feature=channel_video_title]Reprap Prusa V2 Build Part A - YouTube

Downloads
    Uploads

Great progress so far Hoss.
    I have been reading more and more on these and one thing that comes up often is warping. Several have found and cited cause and fixes, but I think there are also some areas where better structure would help.
    Not saying that this one isn't going to be stellar. I like those bearings on ground rod.

To me it just makes more sense to design one with a stage that does not move. If you do that, then you aren't moving the model around and you could actually achieve higher speeds by just moving the gantry. Never any hold downs to worry about like with do with machining. Simply need to employ end stops and limits.

Anyway, that is for a different design that would obviously cost more.
    There is much more I need to learn first and this thread is definitely doing that.
    I almost jumped on one like yours, but remembered I already have a plasma cutter just waiting to get assembled.

Gotta invent a cnc time machine.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Hoss,
    I'll probably end up picking up a Prusa as well. I'm going to hold off a little while until you get further along. The H1 is a nice kit for what the cost was but of course they had to take a few shortcuts in order to keep the cost down. That all can be fixed with a little time and effort.

What I didn't think about was having a non-standard type frame/table size so pretty much none of the aftermarket stuff will work and it will all have to be made from scratch or new parts printed for the H1 to support the other parts. Really shouldn't be an issue if you want to make everything.

I think as time goes the H1 will get lots of mods or will fall by the wayside when the new H2 comes out this summer.

The plastic extruded parts on the H1 are top notch and may be nicer than most of the printed parts out there. Of course there are some pretty nice ABS printed parts are showing up as well. Your seem to be pretty good.

My H1 is together finally and I have to work out some of the details. My plastic table is twisted pretty bad, enough that I can really align the rods and have it right on both ends. Maybe tomorrow I can make something to replace the table and try some first prints.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    Yeah 5 years we'll be 3D printing in Ally, hey, just crank up the heat in the hot end right?

First video on the Prusa is pretty long but here goes.
    Hoss
    Hot glue gun fastened to your spindle and use the air valve to push stick down...done.

First vid looks good! I'm sure you will be printing very quickly.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    Spent a few hours yesterday and got 75% done on the Prusa frame.
    Followed the directions but now that I'm near the end, I can see it's wasting
    about an inch of X travel so I'm gonna extend the frame mounts out to the end of the rods.
    And so the "Hossification" begins. Hey, I didn't know it was possible to fit a 6 stack rotary tool changer on a Prusa!

Just kidding of course, and said with the greatest of respect.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, this printer has it's place and is pretty easy to put together but it's not a good base for expansion.
    It's size is a good one to get into 3D printing but I already know a gantry type build is in the future for a larger printer.
    This will get plenty of use as I learn HOW to print but there won't be a Prusa Freak.
    If I get into production work with these, the Prusa running off of the SDcard will be quite handy.
    Looking forward to getting the H1 together too to compare, and curious how well the Mach 3 set up will work
    cause that's what I'd likely run the gantry printer with, I still have lots of spare drivers laying around.
    Here's a video of what came with the H1 kit I ordered.
    SeeMeCNC H-1 Parts/Hardware/Steppers
    Hoss

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mby2D0eZFD4&feature=channel_video_title"]SeeMeCNC H1 3D Printer Unboxing - YouTube

Downloads
    Uploads

With all of the videos you do, it is time for a headband camera of some kind. Then you could have both hands free. Duct tape to the forehead?

Downloads
    Uploads

I could print out a tripod soon.
    Hoss

Downloads
    Uploads

GoPro helmet mounted! Plus we could get HD vids then.

Downloads
    Uploads

That is what I was thinking. Plus full documentation on assemblies.

Downloads
    Uploads

Dangit, Hoss.
    I could not wait. Gotta get my feet wet in this stuff. I just ordered the linear bearing style like you did. Ordered the other parts as well and will get some SS threaded rod and the ground rod they recommend.

When I was watching your video, I thought to myself, Now when does he install the bearings?

I figure this is a relatively inexpensive way to get into a 3D printer.
    It may well be capable of making all that I will need as well, but I will certainly want to build another one just cause.

Thanks for the premature expenditure, Hoss. It's all because of you. .....well, maybe not totally on you.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh and I thought about converting my router, but it is a production machine and I really can't afford the down time. It would have worked though and given me quite a large print area.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

What about something you could mount on a X2 Mill?
    Regards,
    Gerald.

Page 4 of 72 FirstFirst 12345671454 ... LastLast