Thom Carr 4 Axis CNC - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thom Carr 4 Axis CNC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 2nd Thom Carr Machine purchased

Just thought I would update this thread.

I just bought a (2nd) new machine from Thom Carr and so far out of the box it has performed very well. No damage to the shipping crate this time. Some minor tweeks here and there and it is cutting excellant. Thom has re-designed the rails and from what I see so far it is an improvement over previous designs. My first machine is still making money and I have had so many orders I needed 2 machines running hence I bought the 2nd machine.

I saw a comment somewhere that stated this machine wasn't good for commercial use. Hmmm... My 4x4 machine has been running about 20-40 hours per week for the past year with no major issues. I'll update this once the new machine has ran for more than a couple hundred hours, probably next month.

Downloads
    Uploads

Your experience may have been fine but mine has been miserable.
    The machine I received took nearly 3 months to arrive and when it did it could not even cut a circle. And yes I spend quite a bit of time on the phone with Thom Carr, but the issues were not resolved until I took the machine apart myself and discovered that two of the drive couplings were way too loose and wobbly and way out of alignment and did not allow the machine to stay on the gears, hence slippage, and no amount of adjusting and calilbrating would fix that. My solution was to re-design the couplings for both the Y and X axis which certainly helped machine function (I had to do this) My frustration has been going on for quite a while (In the midst of this I had some serious medical issues and had to lay off any cnc activity for an extended period.) But prior to this about two years ago I was promised a new replacement gantry with the improved design he has described numerous times to me. I have never received it, but I have had so many promises that the "check was in the mail" that I think he must consider this or me a joke. I have held off publicizing my opinion in regards to this art router because I held hope that Thom would come through. I should not have had to re-design a machine that I purchased in good faith. At this point the machine works as long as I keep the speed way down but the steppers will skip if I have a design where the cutter has to change directions rapidly. I am considering replacing the steppers with more powerful ones to counteract the inertial slippage. I apologize if my terminology is not technically correct. There you have it.....a rather unhappy customer.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Update on my 2nd Machine

My 2nd Machine from Thom Carr,

I have been putting my 2nd Machine through the paces and it has been running about 3-4 hours per day since my previous post. I had/have some issues with the Z Axis and until I slow down to adjust it I can live with this minor problem.....I have raised the table to compensate for the Z-height issue. Basically the Z axis jams when going all the way to the top of the rails. I have been cutting only 4 different repetitive patterns since I received the machine and it has performed very well no major issues. This is out of the box with no adjustments made to the machine. I am sure the Z Axis problem is probably a simple fix but I need the machine running for now so I'll update this when I actually have time to delve into the problem which looks like an alignment problem.

The big machine is still kicking butt and taking names although I pushed it a little hard like a dummy and cracked the bearing supports. Temporary fix in place and still running. I need to holler at Thom and get some parts when I can afford the down time which isn't foreseeable in the near future.

I am considering a 3rd machine if I can figure out a place to put it. My Garage shop is fast becoming a manufacturing facility. Too much work and not enough equipment. I'm sorry to hear the problems that others are having with their machines. I dunno, it doesn't' make sense on how my equipment is running so good and others are having so many problems? I see speed is a constant with everyone who is having problems. Perhaps that is why my machines run so well. I don't cut any faster than 30ipm. When I use a 1/2 bit I cut at 25ipm. I'm curious as to the how fast others are cutting at and the depths of cuts. I don't cut any deeper than 1/4 inch per pass.

Whenever I call Thom he is always there for support and he has never let me down. When I need parts I get them about 2-3 weeks after I let him know about the problem. hmmmm Leaves me itching and scratching. I wish I was close to see some of these problem machines as I am really curious..

BTW... Any machines you guys don't want holler at me. I am looking to buy another one... I'll only buy a Thom Carr machine. A used machine with problems suits me just fine, of course if the price is right.

I just bought a (2nd) new machine from Thom Carr and so far out of the box it has performed very well. No damage to the shipping crate this time. Some minor tweeks here and there and it is cutting excellant. Thom has re-designed the rails and from what I see so far it is an improvement over previous designs. My first machine is still making money and I have had so many orders I needed 2 machines running hence I bought the 2nd machine.

I saw a comment somewhere that stated this machine wasn't good for commercial use. Hmmm... My 4x4 machine has been running about 20-40 hours per week for the past year with no major issues. I'll update this once the new machine has ran for more than a couple hundred hours, probably next month.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mlind View Post
    My 2nd Machine from Thom Carr,

I have been putting my 2nd Machine through the paces and it has been running about 3-4 hours per day since my previous post. I had/have some issues with the Z Axis and until I slow down to adjust it I can live with this minor problem.....I have raised the table to compensate for the Z-height issue. Basically the Z axis jams when going all the way to the top of the rails. I have been cutting only 4 different repetitive patterns since I received the machine and it has performed very well no major issues. This is out of the box with no adjustments made to the machine. I am sure the Z Axis problem is probably a simple fix but I need the machine running for now so I'll update this when I actually have time to delve into the problem which looks like an alignment problem.

The big machine is still kicking butt and taking names although I pushed it a little hard like a dummy and cracked the bearing supports. Temporary fix in place and still running. I need to holler at Thom and get some parts when I can afford the down time which isn't foreseeable in the near future.

I am considering a 3rd machine if I can figure out a place to put it. My Garage shop is fast becoming a manufacturing facility. Too much work and not enough equipment. I'm sorry to hear the problems that others are having with their machines. I dunno, it doesn't' make sense on how my equipment is running so good and others are having so many problems? I see speed is a constant with everyone who is having problems. Perhaps that is why my machines run so well. I don't cut any faster than 30ipm. When I use a 1/2 bit I cut at 25ipm. I'm curious as to the how fast others are cutting at and the depths of cuts. I don't cut any deeper than 1/4 inch per pass.

Whenever I call Thom he is always there for support and he has never let me down. When I need parts I get them about 2-3 weeks after I let him know about the problem. hmmmm Leaves me itching and scratching. I wish I was close to see some of these problem machines as I am really curious..

BTW... Any machines you guys don't want holler at me. I am looking to buy another one... I'll only buy a Thom Carr machine. A used machine with problems suits me just fine, of course if the price is right.

you want to buy mine? its the new version "re design" with the gantry motor inside the gantry. and more aluminum? i have since purchased a second machine elsewhere and will resign using my thom carr router. i cant say anything bad about thom, he has been like a dad with me on the phone. but in the end i need stuff made and a machine to accomplish this. the new design is def nicer and less headache and more aligned.

let me know if your interested. no electronics included ( accept the one motor inside the gantry )

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Interested.

Hello,

I'm not sure if I am interested without the electronics, but how much are you asking? as is? Feel free to contact me via email as I suspect some haggling.... :-)

Matter of fact when I get around to it Thom is going to upgrade my Big machine to the new style gantry system. My problem is I like the old gantry on the big machine now that I have it dialed in. I kind of hate to take it apart and go thrugh the alignments..... On the new little machine it seems to be a little more robust and a lot faster than the big machine. Maybe to fast for what I need it to do.

Thank you for your reply. I sure need a 3rd machine running as I am swamped with work.

Quote Originally Posted by XYZ_dude View Post
    you want to buy mine? its the new version "re design" with the gantry motor inside the gantry. and more aluminum? i have since purchased a second machine elsewhere and will resign using my thom carr router. i cant say anything bad about thom, he has been like a dad with me on the phone. but in the end i need stuff made and a machine to accomplish this. the new design is def nicer and less headache and more aligned.

let me know if your interested. no electronics included ( accept the one motor inside the gantry )

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,

I'm not sure if I am interested without the electronics, but how much are you asking? as is? Feel free to contact me via email as I suspect some haggling.... :-)

Matter of fact when I get around to it Thom is going to upgrade my Big machine to the new style gantry system. My problem is I like the old gantry on the big machine now that I have it dialed in. I kind of hate to take it apart and go thrugh the alignments..... On the new little machine it seems to be a little more robust and a lot faster than the big machine. Maybe to fast for what I need it to do.

Thank you for your reply. I sure need a 3rd machine running as I am swamped with work.

fine buy it all rtr, its the new design.... make offer

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,

ok you really weren't interested in buying, just looks like you are up playing the quality of the machine to everyone. you never responded.

however the new design i have sure looks nicer then some of the older designs and better setup procedures.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC Offer

(SMILE) Sorry I was on Christmas vacation for 2 weeks. I need to holler at Thom.

I'll offer 600 plus shipping and insurance for your machine as is w electronics. If you send me a video of it running or at least moving we can haggle a bit more on price.

As for the quality of the machine all I can say is I have 2 and am thinking about buying a 3rd. They work well for me.

Regards,
    Mike

ok you really weren't interested in buying, just looks like you are up playing the quality of the machine to everyone. you never responded.

however the new design i have sure looks nicer then some of the older designs and better setup procedures.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

(SMILE) Sorry I was on Christmas vacation for 2 weeks. I need to holler at Thom.

I'll offer 600 plus shipping and insurance for your machine as is w electronics. If you send me a video of it running or at least moving we can haggle a bit more on price.

As for the quality of the machine all I can say is I have 2 and am thinking about buying a 3rd. They work well for me.

Regards,
    Mike
    "Mike" take a 300lbs bag of lead stuff the $600 you know where have your put insurance on you and jump off a bridge. you insulted me more then your wildest fantasy. apparently all this talk how your SOOOO loyal to thom and here you go and insult him as well and offer $600 for a machine not even 6 months old that has electronics that is worth more. take another 2 weeks off you had to much eggnog

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hmmmmm

No,

I didn't insult Thom, I made an offer on a used machine.

The machine has been in the hands of a Self-Proclaimed newbie who says it has "problems". Who knows what is messed up on it. Notice I didn't say what "you" messed up on it. I'm trying to be civil, somthing you need to learn.

My offer was for it "as is" and I said if you HAD a video of the machine moving I would be interested in haggling on the price. Jeeezzzzz

Let me teach you something youngster. The way you haggle is as follows.

"You say I can't let it go for less than 2k."

"Then I say Well if it is running per video I can come up to say 1200."

"Then you say 1800 is the best I can do and so forth."

Now if you think that I OR anyone would pay 2 grand for a used machine that has been in use by a newbie who says it has "problems" when I or they can buy a brand new machine from Thom with warranty and support for around 2 grand you are sadly mistaken. Why would anyone buy a used machine that as you stated "has problems" for anywhere near the price of a new machine. Hence the "beginning" offer.

Frankly, I don't trust people who are not in control of their emotions. I am no longer interested in "your machine" and I have no interest in dealing with you on anything. Frankly you don't seem like a nice person nor the kind of person I would ever do business with.

Mike.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No,

I didn't insult Thom, I made an offer on a used machine.

The machine has been in the hands of a Self-Proclaimed newbie who says it has "problems". Who knows what is messed up on it. Notice I didn't say what "you" messed up on it. I'm trying to be civil, somthing you need to learn.

My offer was for it "as is" and I said if you HAD a video of the machine moving I would be interested in haggling on the price. Jeeezzzzz

Let me teach you something youngster. The way you haggle is as follows.

"You say I can't let it go for less than 2k."

"Then I say Well if it is running per video I can come up to say 1200."

"Then you say 1800 is the best I can do and so forth."

Now if you think that I OR anyone would pay 2 grand for a used machine that has been in use by a newbie who says it has "problems" when I or they can buy a brand new machine from Thom with warranty and support for around 2 grand you are sadly mistaken. Why would anyone buy a used machine that as you stated "has problems" for anywhere near the price of a new machine. Hence the "beginning" offer.

Frankly, I don't trust people who are not in control of their emotions. I am no longer interested in "your machine" and I have no interest in dealing with you on anything. Frankly you don't seem like a nice person nor the kind of person I would ever do business with.

Mike.

firstly thanks for taking years out of my life, im 58 and wiser then you thought with your offer,

im no "newb" to haggling or cnc......

lets talk about your offer since you seemed to think i was oblivious to your "offer" strategy, insult is what you did, when your haggling you think like every other low baller. just in the slip of chance i might take you up on the $600 then when you get called out you make it look like your actually interested in paying more. however you know what the machines cost so starting a honest bid above $1200 would have given yourself more integrity but it didnt, your plan was foiled. at this point i wouldn't want to sell you anything, i can show you video of it running, it better run after months and months of fixing and replaced parts. your crusade in this thread for thom makes more sense to maybe you owe something to thom is to why you help the situation so much. the machine is the full asking price the new design in a great design i wont take it from him given there some key elements i would have thought differently but all in all the price for the type and size machine it is. anyways continue your shenanigans, you wont get this machine and keep filling our eyes and ears how you will keep buying more and more of his machines give me a break. no need to respond you have no integrity. who knows you may be tom himself hiding under this name

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Pictures of my 2 machines

Just FYI,

Just to show that I am not blowing smoke, Here are my 2 machines in MY shop. Obviously a production environment....LOL Pic 1 is the newest 24x24 and pic 2 is my old trusty 48x48. I survived the year and had more work than I could handle, a 3rd machine would/will be nice to have. Notice the sawdust and the well organized shop.. I hate running the dust collector as it is too noisy.

Both machines run and make money for me! (SMILE) I suspect Thom has a better looking shop than me.

Do I owe Thom anything? YES! When I was down ( with only one machine ) and had a customer sceaming at me I recieved the part I needed right away. When I needed advice he was there. When I bought my second machine I recieved it within the timeframe I "NEEDED". I make about 40K per year on top of working full time DUE TO THOMS MACHINES. Yes I owe him.......

Mike

firstly thanks for taking years out of my life, im 58 and wiser then you thought with your offer,

im no "newb" to haggling or cnc......

lets talk about your offer since you seemed to think i was oblivious to your "offer" strategy, insult is what you did, when your haggling you think like every other low baller. just in the slip of chance i might take you up on the $600 then when you get called out you make it look like your actually interested in paying more. however you know what the machines cost so starting a honest bid above $1200 would have given yourself more integrity but it didnt, your plan was foiled. at this point i wouldn't want to sell you anything, i can show you video of it running, it better run after months and months of fixing and replaced parts. your crusade in this thread for thom makes more sense to maybe you owe something to thom is to why you help the situation so much. the machine is the full asking price the new design in a great design i wont take it from him given there some key elements i would have thought differently but all in all the price for the type and size machine it is. anyways continue your shenanigans, you wont get this machine and keep filling our eyes and ears how you will keep buying more and more of his machines give me a break. no need to respond you have no integrity. who knows you may be tom himself hiding under this name

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thom Carr 4 Axis CNC-1-jpg   Thom Carr 4 Axis CNC-2-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just FYI,

Just to show that I am not blowing smoke, Here are my 2 machines in MY shop. Obviously a production environment....LOL Pic 1 is the newest 24x24 and pic 2 is my old trusty 48x48. I survived the year and had more work than I could handle, a 3rd machine would/will be nice to have. Notice the sawdust and the well organized shop.. I hate running the dust collector as it is too noisy.

Both machines run and make money for me! (SMILE) I suspect Thom has a better looking shop than me.

Do I owe Thom anything? YES! When I was down ( with only one machine ) and had a customer sceaming at me I recieved the part I needed right away. When I needed advice he was there. When I bought my second machine I recieved it within the timeframe I "NEEDED". I make about 40K per year on top of working full time DUE TO THOMS MACHINES. Yes I owe him.......

Mike
    im done in this thread. your a fake with no integrity, clean your equipment it will last longer. keep up with your "crusade"

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default I agree

Finally we agree on something,

Cleaning my equipment is long overdue.

Happy New Year.

im done in this thread. your a fake with no integrity, clean your equipment it will last longer. keep up with your "crusade"

Downloads
    Uploads

Well if nothing else positive comes of all this I really feel ALOT better about the mess in my shop now!! LOL

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default hahahahaha

I hear you,

The shop is a wreck. When you work full time and run a full time business cleaning falls by the wayside.... in sawdust....

Quote Originally Posted by Jkountz View Post
    Well if nothing else positive comes of all this I really feel ALOT better about the mess in my shop now!! LOL

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Thom Carr Mach

Hi Everyone,
    I have a machine from TC and like other people had some problems with the setup. I think Mike is right you can have problems but if you take your time and talk to Thom he will help you thrue them. I use my machine just for hobby right now. I have made 2d and 3d parts with very little problems. I have sent Thom pics of some of my parts. I have played around with speeds and feeds and also wood types to get the best results. I am very happy with my machine and with the support from Thom. I would advise people to get this machine. Just a thought as everyone knows everyone has an opinion on the Internet not all are good. Read the information and make up your own mind. Just my thoughts. By the way I have made about 50 parts in the last year, no problems
    Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default POS

Yes, The machine was a POS. Thom promised to refund me and send me updates but never did. I would avoid this machine unless he ships it to you on trial. Buyer beware until these get much better.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, since I'm here and posting it's obvious that not all is well.

I'm new to cnc so I've been blaming at least 80% of my Art Routers failings on myself. That being said, it seems to me that so much of what has caused trouble with my machine stemmed from things that shouldn't happen. Screws loose (a little lock tite, some attention to details and it's solved) terrible printer cable (15' gold foil shielded one at digilink for $10 solved that) excuses instead of answers and not real good follow through on what's been agreed upon. Machine was w/o a router when it arrived and even though a resolution was agreed too, there's been no follow through. I had a whole paragraph of opining for you all to read, I'll be a bit more patient before that is needed.

I'll delay criticism of the machine till I feel more qualified to speak to it. Thom has been a great guy for the most part but follow through needs to improve.

At this point, think of the art router as what you'd get if Harbor Freight sold CNC's. Not terrible but you get what you pay for.

Also is my feed rate controlled entirely through g code or is there a universal setting in Mach3 that I can tweek to slow all jobs down? I'm using V Carve for now to render everything I carve.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

you initially set feedrates within your toolpathing for each tool, but mach 3 also allows you to speed up or slow it down in the dialog marked "feedrate"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast