Thom Carr 4 Axis CNC - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thom Carr 4 Axis CNC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default If you need or want help Holler at me

Boiler 13,

If you are having problems with Thoms machine and want some help feel free to holler at me via email. I may not get to it for a while but I will eventually. I own 2 of his machines and they run day in and day out for me.

Why am I offering help. Because Thom has gone out of his way for me time and time again.

You might check out some of my previous posts in this forum, as I had some issues when I first started and the solutions and calibrations I found are listed here.

Quote Originally Posted by boiler13 View Post
    Well, since I'm here and posting it's obvious that not all is well.

I'm new to cnc so I've been blaming at least 80% of my Art Routers failings on myself. That being said, it seems to me that so much of what has caused trouble with my machine stemmed from things that shouldn't happen. Screws loose (a little lock tite, some attention to details and it's solved) terrible printer cable (15' gold foil shielded one at digilink for $10 solved that) excuses instead of answers and not real good follow through on what's been agreed upon. Machine was w/o a router when it arrived and even though a resolution was agreed too, there's been no follow through. I had a whole paragraph of opining for you all to read, I'll be a bit more patient before that is needed.

I'll delay criticism of the machine till I feel more qualified to speak to it. Thom has been a great guy for the most part but follow through needs to improve.

At this point, think of the art router as what you'd get if Harbor Freight sold CNC's. Not terrible but you get what you pay for.

Also is my feed rate controlled entirely through g code or is there a universal setting in Mach3 that I can tweek to slow all jobs down? I'm using V Carve for now to render everything I carve.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've been plugging away at the machine until about a week ago. I have had a few nice results with it and I am getting better each day at the software side of this. Calibration has been iffy for me still but I've gotten a handle on it and I think I just need to set a routine about how I zero and how often I tighten and lubricate things and it will be fine.

Thom followed through on the last part of our transaction within hours of my last post so all is good on that front.

I have a serious family issue (sick kid) that may take years to resolve so I'll be out of the cnc game for the time being so don't take my opinion as gospel for now (that will come back to haunt me someday I know).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Sorry to hear about the kid

Hello Boiler13,

Glad to hear things are moving along. I knew you would get it running.

I'm sorry to hear about your child, I hope it is nothing serious.

Hope all goes well for you and your family.

Best Regards,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by boiler13 View Post
    I've been plugging away at the machine until about a week ago. I have had a few nice results with it and I am getting better each day at the software side of this. Calibration has been iffy for me still but I've gotten a handle on it and I think I just need to set a routine about how I zero and how often I tighten and lubricate things and it will be fine.

Thom followed through on the last part of our transaction within hours of my last post so all is good on that front.

I have a serious family issue (sick kid) that may take years to resolve so I'll be out of the cnc game for the time being so don't take my opinion as gospel for now (that will come back to haunt me someday I know).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hh4bt9g6 View Post
    Finally we agree on something,

Cleaning my equipment is long overdue.

Happy New Year.

lol

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Angry Read before you buy an "ART ROUTER" by Thom Carr

I have found these ART ROUTER machines by Thom Carr to be a very BIG purchase mistake the gears are PLASTIC only one gear and rack was steel and that was on the Z axis, the racks are homemade from black ABS PLASTIC not a precision rack and gear match, the underside bearing surface of both side rails is also plastic, the bearings for the most part are glued to plastic rod while some are pressed on a steel rod which was not even the right size and had been ground down to fit the bearing on it. I have been working on rebuilding one of the expensive wrecks. I will post photos of the parts that were used on this so called CNC machine. Due to the CHEAP materials used, this machine was never even used, not once for fear of a possible 30,000 rpm missile which could cause serious injury or worse. With this said I will in the coming weeks start posting pictures of what the parts look like as well as the materials used to put this contraption together. So you can make an informed decision about any thoughts of a purchase. There is only one thing I can honestly say that is good about this mess and that is its design. Hope this helps prevent another $2,000.00 - $3500.00 mistake

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Plazmo View Post
    I have found these ART ROUTER machines by Thom Carr to be a very BIG purchase mistake the gears are PLASTIC only one gear and rack was steel and that was on the Z axis, the racks are homemade from black ABS PLASTIC not a precision rack and gear match, the underside bearing surface of both side rails is also plastic, the bearings for the most part are glued to plastic rod while some are pressed on a steel rod which was not even the right size and had been ground down to fit the bearing on it. I have been working on rebuilding one of the expensive wrecks. I will post photos of the parts that were used on this so called CNC machine. Due to the CHEAP materials used, this machine was never even used, not once for fear of a possible 30,000 rpm missile which could cause serious injury or worse. With this said I will in the coming weeks start posting pictures of what the parts look like as well as the materials used to put this contraption together. So you can make an informed decision about any thoughts of a purchase. There is only one thing I can honestly say that is good about this mess and that is its design. Hope this helps prevent another $2,000.00 - $3500.00 mistake
    plastic gears where? which version machine do you have? the only gears i see are in metal.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Angry

The PLASTIC GEARS are inside the PLASTIC X & Y axis housing along with the PLASTIC ROD used for the bearings.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The PLASTIC GEARS are inside the PLASTIC X & Y axis housing along with the PLASTIC ROD used for the bearings.
    show us pictures before you have a heart attack and explode, i dont have any "PLASTIC GEARS" so im not sure what your talking about. ( housing parts in ABS but not a big deal. ) it uses a rack and pinion setup its simple metal gear on motors/shaft and steel gear rack. so im confused when you are saying it has "PLASTIC GEARS". SHOW US PICTURES

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

I will post pics as I stated! You seem to be getting upset, are you T.C.?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I will post pics as I stated! You seem to be getting upset, are you T.C.?
    upset? no! more like annoyed by your grammar, and noobiness icon usage...

if you read any part of this thread you would clearly know im not T.C. you did read the thread thus far right?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

YA, I have read it all and I would NOT recommend anyone buy this IMHO! So you are a grammar teacher? Good for you! The machines are not worth the time to make them, PERIOD!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

YA, I have read it all and I would NOT recommend anyone buy this IMHO! So you are a grammar teacher? Good for you! The machines are not worth the time to make them, PERIOD!
    no im not a grammar teacher, mine sucks as well but you are typing all over the place, and when you accuse me of being TC i had to say it, otherwise i would not correct any grammar.
    Anyways i think you got the wrong machine, perhaps someone told u it was a tom car machine. because i don't see any plastic gears on either version machines. Plastic bearing shaft yes, plastic housing ends yes. but those parts are fine in plastic. don't you think it would be silly if gears were plastic? maybe you dont know your own machine that well?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Like I stated before I will post pictures of all the parts. I am currently in the process of completely dissected this thing. It's unbelievable that someone would sell stuff like this.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Like I stated before I will post pictures of all the parts. I am currently in the process of completely dissected this thing. It's unbelievable that someone would sell stuff like this.
    yea i cant wait to see pictures of the "plastic gears"

but im sure we will not see plastic gears at all because the rack and pinion are steel. i just think you were confused.

either way if yours has nylon gears it must be a very old outdated version... and you should contact tom to buy a new updated machine...

Last edited by XYZ_dude; 03-27-2012 at 12:19 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why would I ever want to buy another one, I never even used this one. I am in the process of rebuilding this one, turning it into an all steel machine with no weak plastic parts which are critical to the strength, integrity, and performance of a precision piece of equipment. Thank you but NO THANK YOU!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why would I ever want to buy another one, I never even used this one. I am in the process of rebuilding this one, turning it into an all steel machine with no weak plastic parts which are critical to the strength, integrity, and performance of a precision piece of equipment. Thank you but NO THANK YOU!
    where the pictures of the machine? or you just going to keep us waiting......

maybe tom would appreciate your input? but sounds like you have an old version machine, because mine are all metal gears and main carriage/gantry are metal.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default WOW Dissecting?

Hmmm,

DISSECTING STOP!

Just trying to save you work and frustration.

When I bought my first machine 5 years ago (It has Nylon Gears) I also thought it was the gears. IT ISN'T. You have to fine tune the machine. As for my newest machine from Thom I haven't had to open it up as it runs great right out of the box which is surprising as I have never had any machine that worked right out of the box. I suspect it has metal gears according to XYZdude below.

Before getting upset you need to dial your machine in. Don't over-tighten the gear train it needs to have some play in it or you will have nothing but problems..... Thom is a phone call away and if you bought the machine new you should have a 1 year warranty.

I went into detail about fine tuning these machines in on previous posts. Read them and work the problem. If you need help feel free to email me. I have 2 of Thom’s machines and I know them intimately. Both machines run 4-6 hours per day week in and week out. The large 48x48 machine with Nylon gears has been banging away for more than 5 years, the new one for about a year now.

I have no doubt a little work and patience and you will have your machine running..

OH BTW... I needed a part from Thom so I called him today this is on my Old machine and he is sending me another one. 5 Years out of warranty. I cracked one of the router mounts using the machine to plane a 6ft x 3ft log slab for a live edge table..... A LIVE OAK Log.... and like a newbie I was cutting too deep and too fast and the cutter wasn't able clear the chips fast enough. When planing or Cutting OAK even with a new endmill feedrate shouldn't be faster than 35ipm.... depending on depth of course. Shallow passes.

Rack and Pinion machines are a little more touchy than lead screw drive machines but you don't have as much problems with yaw and you aren't as limited with the size of the workpiece. With a overhead rack and pinion machine you can do longer and wider pieces than you can do with a lead screw gantry machine as you are not limited to the size of the table.

I just completed a 8 foot x 4 ft sign that would have been impossible with a lead screw machine. I simply slid the work piece around to cut 1/2 of it first then the other 1/2. With the X axis 8 feet long and the table being only 4 feet Thom’s design allows one to do bigger pieces which pay better. This is why I opted for a overhead gantry machine using a rack and pinion drive rather than a conventional lead screw drive machine.

Again, trust me there isn't anything wrong with the machine unless you are doing things that the machine isn't designed for. You have a setup issues. As I always say, call Thom he won't leave you hanging.

Hope this helps.... It is all about patience. Hint work one axis at a time get the X axis smooth and stead then do the Y axis. Check to make sure there are on obstructions on the grear train such as a screw sticking out of the nylon rails or steel rails as the case may be. Good Luck I'm sure you will get it working...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default (SMILE) I cleaned My Machines

(SMILE) I had a little time last week so I hired a kid to clean the workshop.

I had my doubts but the kid did a very good job. She sure like to watch the machines running, I think she will be a future engineer or machinist. (SMILE)

Getting kids involved with machining is a good thing. I showed her how to make a sign and she ran the machine and now has a new name sign for her room that she designed and cut herself. (With a little help) .....

QUOTE=XYZ_dude;1085855]lol[/QUOTE]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Dissected ART ROUTER

Ok, here are some of the parts I have photographed, these are actual parts from a garage made Thom Carr Art Router.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thom Carr 4 Axis CNC-art-router-junk-parts-jpg   Thom Carr 4 Axis CNC-art-router-junk-mount-1-jpg   Thom Carr 4 Axis CNC-art-router-junk-mount-1a-jpg   Thom Carr 4 Axis CNC-art-router-junk-z-axis-jpg  

Thom Carr 4 Axis CNC-art-router-junk-y-axis-jpg   Thom Carr 4 Axis CNC-art-router-junk-axis-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mlind View Post
    (SMILE) I had a little time last week so I hired a kid to clean the workshop.

I had my doubts but the kid did a very good job. She sure like to watch the machines running, I think she will be a future engineer or machinist. (SMILE)

Getting kids involved with machining is a good thing. I showed her how to make a sign and she ran the machine and now has a new name sign for her room that she designed and cut herself. (With a little help) .....

QUOTE=XYZ_dude;1085855]lol
    [/QUOTE]

my son has been involved into my cnc just as long as i have lol

he is learning to create his own 2d work and he is 7 y/0 ( design and toolpath) cut2d makes it easy for him

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast