Router Drill Bits...?

Thread: Router Drill Bits...?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Router Drill Bits...?

Recently purchased a Dual Router/Plasma table and I'm confused.. What's the best way to use drill bits for drill holes using a CNC router? I have a Porter Cable 3.25hp Router with 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" collets. Do I need to buy special drills with these standard shank sizes or buy a drill chuck to use regular drills? I thought this would be a really easy question but since I can't find the answer it must just be a stupid one!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

You can't safely use drill bits in a router. You either need to plunge with a router bit, or use a smaller tool and mill it.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

you cant safely drill with some routers, i have no problem doing it with mine
    your router motor will not go slow enuff to drill holes in metal nor dose it have enuff power.you should be able to drill plastic and light alum. and wood.

Downloads
    Uploads

I plan on just drilling/cutting wood, Aluminum sheetmetal and composite foam core material so power shouldn't be an issue. The drilling issue came up becasue I need to cut aluminum sheetmetal and drill 3/32 rivit holes in the material with the CNC router. I have found plunging/drilling end mills that I think will work for this. I can see why regular drills wouldn't work at a routers high speed and a much shorter tool would be necessary for strength. I'll find sutible end mills to use.

Thanks for the replies.

Downloads
    Uploads

Drill mills would likely work fine. I have to peck drill with them in thicker metals, but should work great in thin sheet stuff.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We drill with ours. It has a er20 collet and we use 1/4" and 1/2" bits. I've only tried in wood. We have been getting our collets and bits from enco and I heard that they also have some sort of collet chuck for use with a router for drilling.. Might be worth talking to them.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default methodology when drilling with a CNC router.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    You can't safely use drill bits in a router. You either need to plunge with a router bit, or use a smaller tool and mill it.
    A-ha! This means the drill chuck adapter sold by high tech systems llc is actually a bad idea for those of us using a wood router for a spindle, eh?

I was wondering, while playing with Mach and LazyCam, how to go about drilling all the holes that need to be drilled in a given part. I wondered if we were limited to drilling holes in the sizes that mills come in, or if holes generally had to be milled out.

As usual, thanks for your expertise Ger.

Cheers, Jim