Small Desktop CNC Kit

Thread: Small Desktop CNC Kit

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Small Desktop CNC Kit

Hi,

I'm looking for a small desktop sized CNC kit. I need mechanical parts only as I already have steppers, controller and spindle. (Dremel for now, will build a nice spindle using an ER11 extension soon.)

The steppers are Nema 23 and the spindle I'm thinking of building will be approx 43mm diameter.

The CNC kit must be sized in metric and the shipping to the UK can't be too much. I'm looking at a price of around £400GBP for the kit.

The work area should be 200mmx300mm to 300mmx400mm, around that size.

I have already looked at Marchant Dice's MDL-2-TR-UN (http://www.worldofcnc.com/products.asp?recnumber=194) however after receiving one reply by email and no others I'm not prepared to wait forever. They are a good company, I've dealt with them before however they can take weeks to get back to you.

I've also asked about the High-Z S-400 (http://www.cnc-step.com/html/cnc_fra...nstig__cnc.HTM) however they sell theirs with motors, controller and software which I don't want and refuse to sell partial-kits. I don't quite understand why companies turn down business like that but that's up to them.

I do really like the look of Widgitmaster's machines however they are in imperial. Also the shipping and cost would probably be over my budget - Especially if I were to ask for a custom-made metric version.

So there's my situation, does anyone have any suggestions for me ? PS: I'm only looking for a metal CNC machine. Upgradable to ballscrews in the future would be nice, but just trapezoidal leadscrew for now would be fine.

Thanks,
    -Andrew.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I'd like supported linear bearings too. Also the price isn't fixed at £400GBP, that's just what I'd like to spend.

Edit 2: Managed to get back in touch with Kevin from Marchant Dice regarding the MDL-2-TR-UN. I think I will get this one as it seems to suit my needs. Just a shame it doesn't have supported bearings but I'll fix that in my own larger home-made router when I get around to it. This should be great for PCBs and the like.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by yngndrw; 02-17-2009 at 01:00 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Be careful with dealing with Marchant. I've also had good experiences with them before but two orders I placed in december 08 have yet to arrive. to make a long story short, he hasn't even sent them yet and does not answer my e-mails unless I start a Pyapal dispute, then he'll promise to take care of it. I'm going to start a second dispute with him now to get my money back.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yea it's strange - I sent an email on the 7th and got a reply straight away but when I replied to that I didn't receive a reply back that week. I assumed it was a home business and that he could only reply at the weekends but the next weekend I didn't receive a reply.

I sent an email yesterday and again he got back to me almost right away and I hope to receive an email with a full quote today so I can make the payment.

I have dealt with him in the past and received my items with no issues so I'm hoping that will be repeated, the kit he has is almost ideal for me - Seems an unusual way of running a business though especially with the current economic climate. He seems a nice enough guy, maybe he just has a lot on right now ?

Thanks for the head's up though.

Downloads
    Uploads

He is a Member here. Shoot him a PM.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Didn't realise he had an account on here - I'll send him a PM then at least there will be an alternative form of contact if email is not convenient for whatever reason.

Cheers.

Edit: He sent the invoice right away and I've purchased the router. Should be dispatched in 7 days so won't be too long before I get a chance to have a play with it. I'm not good at reviews but I'll do my best at writing a mini-review when I receive it.

Thank you everyone in this thread for your input.

Last edited by yngndrw; 02-19-2009 at 01:14 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Lost consignment

Shipping....
    I feel I have to make a comment....We shipped the items on 2 occasions! unfortunately when you made your order, you entered your online delivery address as United Kingdom?
    Anyway we have resolved this issue and shipped the goods again as 2 cartons....Have you received them?

Quote Originally Posted by tahustvedt View Post
    Be careful with dealing with Marchant. ,
    I've also had good experiences with them before but two orders I placed in december 08 have yet to arrive. to make a long story short, he hasn't even sent them yet and does not answer my e-mails unless I start a Pyapal dispute, then he'll promise to take care of it. I'm going to start a second dispute with him now to get my money back.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Shipping

Your MDL-2-TR-UN Desktop CNC machine will ship tomorrow...
    Regards / Kevin (www.worldofcnc.com)

Quote Originally Posted by yngndrw View Post
    Didn't realise he had an account on here - I'll send him a PM then at least there will be an alternative form of contact if email is not convenient for whatever reason.

Cheers.

Edit: He sent the invoice right away and I've purchased the router. Should be dispatched in 7 days so won't be too long before I get a chance to have a play with it. I'm not good at reviews but I'll do my best at writing a mini-review when I receive it.

Thank you everyone in this thread for your input.

Downloads
    Uploads

That's excellent, thank you for the update Kevin.

Downloads
    Uploads

The machine arrived today and was very well packed. I was initially concerned with how ridged an extruded aluminium machine would be but after receiving I am impressed with how ridged it seems to be.

I need to get a few more bits before I can actually use it, but I am currently very pleased with the purchase.

Thank you Kevin.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by marchantdice View Post
    Shipping....
    I feel I have to make a comment....We shipped the items on 2 occasions! unfortunately when you made your order, you entered your online delivery address as United Kingdom?
    Anyway we have resolved this issue and shipped the goods again as 2 cartons....Have you received them?
    I just noticed this post. I received the order as we discussed in the PM, and that is good, but I am not to blame here! It could have been resolved immediately if you had read and returned my emails. This is a very long story but the essence is that I don't mind waiting for an order, but I do mind not being able to communicate with the seller about the problem.

I'm pretty sure I didn't fill in the delivery address on your website because it said "(if different)". I filled in Norway on the billing address and believe your webshop system filled in UK automatically. Why would I fill in UK?

It could all have been resolved in early january. The case is finished now though (or so I thought) and my machine is assembled.

Last edited by tahustvedt; 03-21-2009 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Made a long story short.