Goliath CNC Robot?

Thread: Goliath CNC Robot?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Goliath CNC Robot?

Saw this some time ago and they launched on Kickstarter. Interesting idea. You only need the space for the 'machine' when you are cutting. Thoughts?

Goliath by Springa

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Goliath CNC Robot?

It doesn't seem very positive to me at that scale, from what I could see (which wasn't much). Cutting forces are likely to override the friction from the wheels, especially if there's a little dust on the surface, at which point it will go wild. I don't see how it will work close to the edge of a sheet of material either, since it needs considerable space for the wheels. But sure, go ahead and give the guy enough money to prove me right or wrong, and report back, okay?

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

I’m guessing it will only track by taking tiny cuts. How many times will it have to drive over the same piece to cut through 3/4” plywood? And not slip once?

The price seems high too. Especially as they think their non-Kickstarter price is nearly $3,000 Goliath CNC Robot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

From what I understand, it isn't a problem if the wheels slip, it is a closed loop. The positional feed back is continuously used to correct for slippage.
    They also say they haven't had a problem with dust on the wheels. The thing weighs a few pounds, but is that always enough to provided enough cutting force?
    I think some kind of vacuum attachment would help.

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't see how a loop that closed at the motor would be able to detect slipping wheels. If there was some kind of sensor in the loop that provided absolute positional data over the whole surface being cut, then sure - but who's seen anything like that?

And no; a few pounds of weight depending on friction with the table for stability would be no match for the cutting forces exerted by even a 1/4" bit engaged 1/4" deep in plywood. If you've ever tried using a hand router, you'll have more appreciation for the counter-force required.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

There is absolute position data, that is how it knows where it is. I think the wheels do not contribute to position calculation at all.

The unit weights 22lbs. I'm not sure what kind of cutting speeds you can get from that, zero load is 100in/min.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Goliath CNC Robot?

I understand that you place two towers on the corners of the workpiece that “read” the position of the router through lasers? Radio transmitters? The question isn’t whether it is a closed loop design, but how accurate it can be and how effective it can be at preventing the jumps and luches of a router cutting through plywood or MDF. Can those wheels resist the jerk and pull of the router even if the computer knows it isn’t tracking right? Can it correct a jerk fast enough to keep the cut clean? For how many passes? Does it really read accurately and in real time the position of the bit to within 0.001”? Does radio interference from other tools or dust interfere with the closed loop system (ever tried to use Bluetooth when a router or circular saw is nearby?)

I suppose time will tell, but frankly it looks like a cool engineering idea at odds with the realities of a real woodworking environment.

Lastly is the price. Frankly if I wanted a large format CNC of questionable accuracy suitable for the hobbyists/maker the $450 Maslow CNC makes much more sense. In the end you are buying capability. Expensive circuitry that doesn’t do the job better is not worth a higher price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett View Post
    I understand that you place two towers on the corners of the workpiece that “read” the position of the router through lasers? Radio transmitters?
    I spent about 5 minutes looking at videos. It uses two wires that are connected to the main machine from the supports that are placed at the extremities. Two wires. Yes. Physical wires. They say the position refresh rate is 100 times per second.

This machine certainly isn't a speed demon.

Their kickstarter page mentions cutting metal. Of course, when you look at it, it's very very thin sheet metal.

Really novel idea. Really interesting. I give them kudos for having big cohones and coming up with something unique, of course, that is assuming that they came up with the idea and it isn't "borrowed" from somewhere else. I have no idea, really, I don't know.

If the systems performs as well as it is advertised to, there should be some videos of it doing a nice 3d carving. But there aren't any videos of this. Why not?

Also looking at their vids and they show some surf boards. OK, those have some compound curves. Why are there no vids of this carving a surf board if they show some surf boards in their videos? Is it because this is still in the development phase? Don't show me a damn surfboard and then not show your machine making it!

Really, the guys from Goliath, need to put out some more info and better vids. No one can really say, IMO, what potential this has at the moment. My gut feeling is that it is still being developed and needs more work and they are hiding this fact. If you're from the company and reading this, and you disagree, then make some better videos for goodness sakes. Show us some 3d carvings. Show us a 3d surfboard being made with your machine. Serious fail in the marketing, but if you have what you claim, this is easy to redeem with some better vids.

Until then, my favorite will remain with the spider robot CNC.

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett View Post
    Lastly is the price. Frankly if I wanted a large format CNC of questionable accuracy suitable for the hobbyists/maker the $450 Maslow CNC makes much more sense. In the end you are buying capability. Expensive circuitry that doesn’t do the job better is not worth a higher price.
    Something else to consider for sure.

Certainly neither one can do what a traditional CNC can. But may have merit for someone who just wants to cut out 2d shapes at a lower cost.

Downloads
    Uploads

That Spider Bot looks like something out of a sci-fi horror movie!!!

What the Goliath has to do with surfboards, I can't for the life of me tell. And who the hell goes to Switzerland to find a surfboard shaper?!!! San Diego, Sydney, Honolulu, but SWITZERLAND? In any case, the founder of the kickstart says in response to a question that "Given that Goliath can only move on flat surface, if the job is too big, the machine cannot reach the middle of the carving after the first roughing phase." So, no. It won't shape a board for you. You're back to using a $10 Surform.

I hate to bash on anyone trying to create something new. But the hype and the pricing seem way out of line with what this thing is. It looks like a cool tool that probably should be fitted with a pen or drag knife and be marketed to the etsy crowd at $750 max.