Need help in buying proper cnc machine

Thread: Need help in buying proper cnc machine

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Need help in buying proper cnc machine

I came very close to buying the Craftsman CompuCarve but after a visit to the web site I found there are many unresolved issues,although they seem to be woking with customers to get the bugs out.What sold me was the ease of using their software.The software issue has kept me from adding a cnc router to my woodshop.I would like some professional advise on a good cnc router with easy to use software that would be used more than just a hobby as the compucarve would be. My budget would be about 12,000.
    Thanks for some help.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Check out our website and download out catalog, I'm sure we have something that will fit your application.

www.Torchmate.com

Mike @ Torchmate.com | www.Torchmate.com
    Toll Free : (866) 571-1066 M-F 7:30am-4pm PST

Downloads
    Uploads

ShopBot.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

With a budget of $12000, you should not be looking at the compucarve. You could be set up and running a shopbot, with rhino and rhino cam, and mach 3. With compucarve, I believe you HAVE TO use their cad software. This is no good, as you will definately be limited by hobby/cookie cutter-cad-software.

My router cost me about $9000 to build ($4000 was labor), and it cuts nicely at 120 IPM, is very rigid and accurate (+/- 0.003"), with a work envelope of 24 x 60 x 5.5". That leaves $3000 to play with. Rhino and Rhinocam, with mach 3, fit the bill nicely and you can draw and carve most anything you can imagine.

The CC is definately not built for production use, built much more like a printer (lots-o-plastic).
    This is one of the most rewarding investments you will ever make. Good luck with your choice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs down You would be money ahead........

You would be money ahead to buy a home-built off eBay for $1,000 less than the Sears machine, if you are just looking for a learning tool. However, once I got bitten by the "bug", I travelled to 4 different manufacturer's locations to see and "feel" their machines. I also got information on 3 more. I finally purchased a Shop Sabre. I went all out and purchased a 4' X 8' machine with all the bells and whistles including a 4th axis unit for about $25,000. However, they have VERY nice machines in your price range. Their support, both before and after the sale, has been tremendous and the machine has never faltered.

I still have a lot to learn about this machine and the software, but I'm learning more each day. What I would really like to do is find some classes that are specific to the CNC router. The classes in my area are confined to mills and lathes. While these are similar, they don't touch on many of the aspects of the router table.

Good Luck.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

As much as I dislike the design of the shopbot (v-rollers, angle iron rails, rack & pinion, oh lord), it does work decently. For $12K, get yourself a PRT Alpha 96 with table (don't build the table yourself... it's a waste of time). Final price will be right at the $12K mark.

Plan your budget for the next few months to add
    1.) Spindle - Colombo
    2.) Vacuum Table

The Sears Compucarve is an absolute joke. It's almost as bad of a gimmick as the "dual drill". For Christ's sake, it uses a feed roller for the X-axis.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Zumba View Post
    The Sears Compucarve is an absolute joke. It's almost as bad of a gimmick as the "dual drill". For Christ's sake, it uses a feed roller for the X-axis.
    Naah.

It works great, it's affordable, and it's got great support. Obviously, you haven't seen one.

Your pal,
    Meat.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Zumba,
    You hit the nail on the head! The compucarve is basically a printer with a router bit.
    I'm sure it has it's place, just not in my shop.
    The shopbot is a good answer. A beefy version of the shopbot is the MechMate. $4,000.00 range if you are handy with your hands.

DocTanner

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DocTanner View Post
    Zumba,
    You hit the nail on the head! The compucarve is basically a printer with a router bit.
    Yep; just like every CAD/CAM machine out there. Your point?

Your pal,
    Meat.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Compucarve...no joke

Quote Originally Posted by meat View Post
    Naah.

It works great, it's affordable, and it's got great support. Obviously, you haven't seen one.

Your pal,
    Meat.
    Hello,I'm getting ready to purchase 60 x 96 techno router,but let me say this about the compucarve...it is not a gimmick nor a joke.While not a real cnc it does do very accurate carvings, letters,signs and many other things...no it's not going to cut cabinet parts...that's why I'm getting the big machine.The carvewright /compucarve is very versatile and I will continue to use it along with a CNC.
    Ben