Sears now sells a wood router! CompuCarve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sears now sells a wood router! CompuCarve

Cool Sears now sells a wood router! CompuCarve

CompuCarve

It figures that a company like Sears would start selling a CNC wood router with software!
    It looks like an interresting design, where the X-Axis moves the board between rollers, and the Y&Z are contained within the compact machine!

sears.com/carve

$1899.99

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

It is actually the CarveWright system....ger21 told us about it about 3 months ago.

And it is more of a carver then a router. They also have a touch probe so you can digitize stuff.

http://www.carvewright.com/index.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Just got the sears club sale flyer and it was $1699.00. Not bad for a molding carver or lithophane maker or even thin fretwork. Max dimensions 14 1/2" wide x 5 " thick 1" max carving depth by 16' long. At 720 ipm on X and Z and 120 on Y not to bad. Great little digitizer. To bad you can't export the files to other software like Artcam to be used on bigger routers.

Donny

If I read the add correctly, you can use software to make your design, then post it to a memory card which then inserts into the machine to be run by a memory resident computer program!

That's some impressive technology in an "All-In-One" package!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by widgitmaster View Post
    If I read the add correctly, you can use software to make your design, then post it to a memory card which then inserts into the machine to be run by a memory resident computer program!

That's some impressive technology in an "All-In-One" package!

I think you can only import images, or .bmp's. It won't read CAD files or g-code files.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

While I am impressed with the package, even though I can't buy a machine here in UK, there is obviously still some development work to be done on both the hardware and the software.
    I get a strong impression of a team that listen to their customers and go the extra mile when it comes to customer support.
    It is a relatively new package, and things do go wrong, but the forum has a lot of happy owners who are still exploring its capabilities.
    For anyone contemplating the purchase, I strongly advise reading as many of the postings as possible, to get a fair appraisal of where they are at the moment.

I declare my interest, as I am a moderator on the forum, but only in that I can offer a different time frame for the removal of spam etc.
    Like I said, I can't yet purchase a machine, but by the time a 240volt version becomes available, I'm sure I'll still be happy to get one shipped over, however difficult the physical support may be.
    John

It's like doing jigsaw puzzles in the dark.
    Enjoy today's problems, for tomorrow's may be worse.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up i think this is great

I work in a wood shop. I've been running the cnc routers there for five years. I always thought how if I had one at home i could make this or that. so i bought a kit and have used it for 2 years now. I love it! what great hobby! it has also paid for itself. my boss thought I was crazy to buy one but I told him that there are many people that share this hobby (refering to all you guys at cnc zone) and that in 10 years one would be able to buy a cnc machine at home depot. here we are 2 years later and sears is selling one. this is just the start, as cnc becomes more mainstream i think we will see prices of machines and components drop sharply. the rest of the world will find out what we know, that this is a great, rewarding, and very educating hobby. congradulations fellow cnc geeks, you are all pioneers! I can't stress how much i have learned and felt supported by all you guys here at cnc zone. I hope many more will join us in our hobby.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just think... soon Gecko's will be considered Industrial drivers! (more so than even now)

On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default converting 3d files into image files for engraving software

I imagine that the g-code solution will take a while to surface, but it wouldn't be difficult to create images from cad models that would be compatible with this system. This can easily be done with a rendering app like Mental Ray using Maya 3d software. You could import a cad file if required and then generate the greyscale image file from there. The process would be a few simple steps;

1.) Export cad file using a maya-compatible format (possibly a .dxf ?).

2.) Generate a "displacement map" using the Mental Ray raytrace render setttings:

Edit > Convert to file texture (choose .tif for best results)

3.) Convert displacement/texture map (.TIF > .BMP) using Photoshop or similar app.

NOTE: A "displacement map" is just a term used by 3d artists who deal strictly with the rendering side of 3d and is the equivelant of a greyscale image used by engraving software.

I have created displacement maps from geometry using maya/mental ray for some time now. Not sure how high the supported resolution is on the CW software (or hardware) but, I am able to convert 3D models into image files (.TIF) at a resolution of 32-bits per channel. Although 16-bit should be plenty for this application I would think.

Here's a sample....

Cheers!

Downloads
    Uploads

I notice on there forum that the software that come with it is missing alot of the models that the demo and beta had. Also the Centerline text engrave is missing. That was a biggie for me. There is not much help on the forum by the manufactures. Seems like the users have to answer the questions and rumours. I did see a post from the powers that be that the missing models and centerline and other missing items may appear in a more expensive version of the software. But they had not a clue what would be included or when or for how much. Not to good about giving a straight answer. I was gonna buy one for the wife. She has been bugging me for one. But after reading the forums more I think I will hold off around a year.
    Don't want to be part of there growing pains.
    Guess I could just build her one. Doing the sand paper feed roller might be the only complicated part.

Donny

Downloads
    Uploads

Default I don't know about those

Think of all you have to know to make an accurate piece. Even if you take out the building of a machine I have never met a machine that didn't need work on it and PM. I can see people getting these and they may work ok. I just wonder about its abilities compared to its users and vice versa.

The way they say just point and click and away you goooooo all sounds so easy just like every other commercial for something that has a technology basis. The same as those commercials that say our software can do this and this etc but they don't tell you what the IT folks will have to do to get that to happen, to the non informed they think its all install and go. How many times have you heard the term plug and play, yeah right more like plug and PRAY.. Everything can be simplified with technology but ultimately you will need to know something besides drag and drop to make cuttings beyond whats provided in the software.

This will be a good thing and bad in that it opens the flood gates for people to get involved meaning less opportunities for others, however, I think it takes a certain kind of person to get into the PC CNC CAD CAM world and those will not just appear at the same rate as the new machines. They may sell a lot but end use will be the question I wonder about.

I know a guy that makes custom furniture for a living and does some really nice work. He asked me if I could show him Autocad so he could draw some ideas. I offered and never heard back, I asked and he seemed to think it was to much for him, and all he would want to do is 2D woodworking dim drawings. I hope to wow him whenever I get around to my build arghhhh...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default carvewright

The guy who runs the auto shop next door asked me about the Sears Compucarve. I researched it, and learned it was made by carvewright. I spoke to several people at the manufacturer. The machine is definitely not perfect, and not push-button easy, but it has loads of potential. The manuf projects that later this year, their design software will output G-code. Take the time to read their forum, and stay tuned. This guy may change the face of woodworking

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I cannot for the life of me see how a roller driven "x-axis" has any potential at all. You can only do so much before the board starts slipping. At the least, they should have a traction conveyor.

The only thing appealing about that machine is the price. They will be doomed when gantry routers start dropping in price. There is absolutely no comparison.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default carvewright

uh, it does have a friction drive belt.
    sorry.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

After much research, I purchased one, and it's working PERFECTLY! The only way I could be happier is if it allowed stock that was wider than 15"

Your pal,
    Meat.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Got any pics of what your doing with it so far?

I think we would all be interested in seeing something it has produced. What kind of cutting times are you getting and at what level of detail. Glad to hear your enjoying it would have sucked to buy it only to be totally disappointed.

Bo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bowman View Post
    Glad to hear your enjoying it would have sucked to buy it only to be totally disappointed.
    Wow.

I'm not sure why you're so negative about it.

Your pal,
    Meat.

Downloads
    Uploads

It was only a matter of time.

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Meat not being negative about it at all. If it does what it claims fantastic it would be the exception to the rule of todays marketing and sales techniques. Or are you saying if you had bought it and it couldn't do anything it claimed you would still be happy with your purchase?

So not trying to dig at you or the machine. I think its great that it is working for you and your happy, after all isn't that what the whole point of getting one to begin with.

I would really like to see what you have done with it and not to be negative just to SEE.

Bo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Check out the gallery. There are several examples. -WW

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast