Sears now sells a wood router! CompuCarve - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sears now sells a wood router! CompuCarve

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've actually heard some mixed reviews on the machine. All kinds of problems with it. I suppose many of those problems are from complete newbies that aren't computer savvy enough to get in the groove of using the machine and software. I've used their software, actually looked at the machine awhile back before they had the deal with sears. The software is very restrictive, you can't really import anything and you can only use their software and their limited database of vectors to create stuff, or create everything there. To be honest, I've yet to see many cam programs that offer as smooth of a drawing process than autocad. I hardly would ever use the cam's program to draw much stuff other than the toolpaths. Also the cutting/carving envelope is tiny. And good luck getting support from sears, after a weekend experience with them on a simple issue I won't ever buy from them again. That business has gone down the drain from years ago.

On the contrary, for a hobbyist it's probably the best solution for a cnc router. I'm just happy finding joe's 06 build, because I built it for the same price (including everything) as one of those carvewright machines. And the only limitation on my machine now is 24x48x6 and my creativity.

my two cents, go look at the reviews on sears.com lol, you will see a lot of frustrated people

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bp092 View Post
    I've actually heard some mixed reviews on the machine. All kinds of problems with it. I suppose many of those problems are from complete newbies that aren't computer savvy enough to get in the groove of using the machine and software. I've used their software, actually looked at the machine awhile back before they had the deal with sears. The software is very restrictive, you can't really import anything and you can only use their software and their limited database of vectors to create stuff, or create everything there. To be honest, I've yet to see many cam programs that offer as smooth of a drawing process than autocad. I hardly would ever use the cam's program to draw much stuff other than the toolpaths. Also the cutting/carving envelope is tiny. And good luck getting support from sears, after a weekend experience with them on a simple issue I won't ever buy from them again. That business has gone down the drain from years ago.

On the contrary, for a hobbyist it's probably the best solution for a cnc router. I'm just happy finding joe's 06 build, because I built it for the same price (including everything) as one of those carvewright machines. And the only limitation on my machine now is 24x48x6 and my creativity.

my two cents, go look at the reviews on sears.com lol, you will see a lot of frustrated people
    Hmm.

I've been using it since the day I bought it, every day, and only yesterday had any issue with it at all (the bit came out of the adapter. Apparently mine didn't get the locktite done at the factory). Reinserted it, tightened it back up and it continued working fine (locktite today, though!).

I'm not saying that there aren't any issues with the machine, because people do still seem to be running into axis stalls and some of the machines seem to be assembled like old American cars from he 70s (don't buy a CarveWright/Compucarve that's built on a Friday). And there are software updates that have to be done (the software is PC and Mac compatible, I use the Mac stuff).

Another issue is the availability of parts. Right now, all I've got are the 1/8" cutting bit and the 1/16" carving bit. I've ordered a few more replacement bits, but they haven't come in yet. I wouldn't mind having a few more of the sandpaper belts just in case as well. But they're not in stock; all of the parts are going to the machines that are being built. There's quite a demand for them.

The good thing is that the company is growing and has become quicker to respond to customer service issues, and the machine does come with a warranty. There was a dark time (apparently before I bought my machine) with the company where you couldn't get a phone call back, the phones weren't answered, and machines would disappear into the service center for quite awhile. I haven't seen that happen lately, although I have read about people sending their machines in for service, and the machine coming back with loose parts. I'm sure that CW will address those issues as well.

The software does exactly what I want it to, and I can import whatever I need to into the program. For example, I needed to cut out wing spars for a 3/4 scale P-38 replica I'm building and some of these pieces are 7' long. The machine allowed me to import them, set a cut path, and then cut the piece out with nary a hitch. And the pieces are the correct size - matching up to the full-size blueprint exactly.

There is a learning curve to the software, and I think that many people expect it to do what they want it to do (not what they tell it to) right out of the box. And that won't happen.

I have imported both forms and graphics into the machine, and it's done well with everything.

If there was one thing I wish it had, it would have to be a narrower cutting bit (it uses a 1/8" bit out of the box) for some finer detail work I'd like to cut out.

As far as Sears goes ... I still remember the good ol' days where a Craftsman tool came with a lifetime warranty and all you had to do was bring in the broken tool and walk out with a new one. This whole outsourcing thing is a pain in the butt.

The bad: you can't take it back to Sears to get it worked on.
    The good: you can ship it to the manufacturer (the guys who know the machine) and have it worked on.

One thing I'm wondering - considering the popularity of the jgro plans and all - is why hasn't anyone here come up with the traction-belt CNC machine plans yet? All of a sudden, you're not going to be limited on the length of the x-axis (or y-axis) by the lengths of a straight tube, and backlash could disappear altogether.

There are some machines that have issues from CarveWright, and the people with problems - real or imaginary - are vocal (gee...people who ***** on the internet; that's sooooo unusual!). But at the end of the day, if you look at the complaints (I've seen probaby 40 different people with issues) compared with the number of currently shipped machines (somewhere around 5,000), you'll see that the satisfied users far outweight the ones with problems.

...and the company does fix the problem or refund money to those who just can't be satisfied.

It's a great machine, the support is there, and the software gets better with every iteration.

Your pal,
    Meat.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

thanks for your review, like I said much of the dissatisfied customers probably complain about things they couldn't figure out, but it's a great tool for someone doing small parts.. I just was glad I found the zone, otherwise I might have bought one of the carvewrights..

to me I Just like flexibility and usability and that machine didn't offer it for my needs, but I'm glad it is doing great work for you, have and photos of parts you cut with it?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

but it's a great tool for someone doing small parts.
    Again, hmm...

I'm not sure that I'd consider a 7' part as "small," and I've carved quite a few of them. And there's a user or two that has carved Green Giant-sized wrenches and screwdrivers as well. In fact, you're only limited as to width on the machine ... length is greater than any of machines I've seen here offered up for sale or home built.

I'm setting up to do a fairly intricate arbor, which will involve making pieces that are up to 10' long. They're not small parts.

I just was glad I found the zone, otherwise I might have bought one of the carvewrights..
    I'm glad you found the zone as well.

The zone is what lead me to the Carvewright machine, and I'm thoroughly satisfied with it.

Your pal,
    Meat.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Different strokes for different folks. I in no way meant to insult the carvewright system, I just disagree with some of the ways it is setup. For my needs, 14/15" isn't enough in width, and I don't think I would ever cut a 7' part on my machine. The only time I could think of use for that would be making radius forms for bending and even then I'de make them in 2 sections. Plus I can use any cad and cam software I want to design and program with, cut up to 6 inches thick on my z and set/jog my machine in any way I want. No feeding into it like a planer. Also I like connecting with usb/parallel ports as apposed to the ancient file transfer technology that carvewright machine uses with cards. And lastly and most importantly what my machine lacks now I can improve on with the machine itself. It's hard to modify commercial machines because they usually aren't "friendly enough" to do that. These are just my thoughts, more so opinions at best. I'm happy you are getting the most out of your machine, as am I. Always pushing it to the limit That's why there is a balance on the zone, different things for everyone. It's cool we can all find common ground even though many of us use different materials/tooling and machines.

Post any pics of completed work, I would be interested to see beyond their gallery on their site.

Quote Originally Posted by meat View Post
    Again, hmm...

I'm not sure that I'd consider a 7' part as "small," and I've carved quite a few of them. And there's a user or two that has carved Green Giant-sized wrenches and screwdrivers as well. In fact, you're only limited as to width on the machine ... length is greater than any of machines I've seen here offered up for sale or home built.

I'm setting up to do a fairly intricate arbor, which will involve making pieces that are up to 10' long. They're not small parts.

I'm glad you found the zone as well.

The zone is what lead me to the Carvewright machine, and I'm thoroughly satisfied with it.

Your pal,
    Meat.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Also I like connecting with usb/parallel ports as apposed to the ancient file transfer technology that carvewright machine uses with cards.
    I like the transfer system; I don't get sawdust in my keyboard, monitor, fan or any other important computer stuff.

Your pal,
    Meat.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by meat View Post
    I like the transfer system; I don't get sawdust in my keyboard, monitor, fan or any other important computer stuff.

Your pal,
    Meat.
    Neither do I. That's what a dust collector is for. Actually one time on the carvewright forums awhile back I saw someone rig up a dust collector to one of the machines. Pretty cool setup the guy had, he made a few mods.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Carvewright: I'm with Meat on this one. I've watched this little CNC for a few months and think it has found a nitch. This small company is a real success story with sales exceding production.

It reminds me of the original Gerber 4B Plotter which changed the sign industry for ever. I bought one way back in 1979. I doubt Carvewright will have that kind of long term affect but there's lots of small companys like Trophy Shops and sign businesses, with limited space and budget that could use one. Sales prove it.

On the "Shopbot Forum" it took real negative hit. Many Shopboters down played it as weak and a play-toy, waste of money and time. Of coure, they've never layed their eyes one one. I've seen what it can do and it's very impresive. I'm not a candidate since I have a 5'X10 EZ, but I wouldn't down play it's potential.

No one, up to now, has been able to do 3D carving as fast and easy. One reason is it's ability to work from Bitmaps. Most of the software packages like Rhino, ArtCam, Enroute, etc work from vectors. They are labor intensive, slow, costly and a pain in the behind. So here comes a new way of looking at affordable 3D production.

I gotta ask, wouldn't you like to do 3D carving with your router as easy Carvewright? I sure would.

So, for the time being, I going to give them a friendly thumbs up.

J
    www.normansignco.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12