Need Help! Best CNC kit for $1800 or less

Thread: Best CNC kit for $1800 or less

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Best CNC kit for $1800 or less

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the forum and wanting to get into hobby CNC machining, but with the massive selection of kits and options I am in need of a little guidance. I am currently looking at the CNC mogul 6.0 frame with geko 540 with 4 nema 23 motors. But I came across good and bad reviews about CNC Mogul, it seems like a lot of people liked the frame but hated the electronics so I decided to pick out my own but then I started wondering if there might be a better CNC machine out there for $1800

My only requirements are a decent sized cutting area, I would prefer a 3x3 area.

So I would like to hear people's suggestions on other kits.

Thanks in advance!

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Best CNC kit for $1800 or less

The original Cnc Mogul was not as rigid as the 6.0 and came bundled with really cheap electronics. The 6.0 appears to be a big step up in every way but the price. Keep in mind I'm sort of a unpaid unsanctioned spokesman for the Mogul so you can say I'm biased

The real question that you need to answer if your going to get any worthwhile responses is what materials will you be milling, what type of accuracy and resolution will be acceptable for you. I think these questions will help the wiser forum members dictate to you how much machine you "actually can" afford.

Also openbuilds has there Cnc Ox, and there is always Joe's Cnc, but both of these options involves not just getting your hands dirty but also figuring out quite a few things along the way. Both machines I just mentioned have decent support forums but remember the time you could spend figuring how to build is time you 'could' have spent cutting with a ready to assemble machine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for replying. I had almost given up on this thread but yes I have to agree the new 6.0 build looks good and solid. Actually a youtuber Micheal with a CNC mogul is going to cut some simple shapes to show how accurate the machine is on his YouTube channel soon. So I am impressed that he is willing to do that fo me, which pretty much has me sold right there.

I have to agree that the original had some design flaws and cheap electronics but by ordering the frame and electronics through automationtechnologiesinc.com I can use gecko driver along with good steppers and an upgraded Z axis stepper for around $1400, by the time I throw in a water cooled Chinese 2.2 kw spindle. It seems like one hell of a good package and within my $1800 budget.

Or i stumbled across another company called gryphoncnc.com which uses the CNC mogul design but the cheaper electronics for $1800 for a 3x3 area. The major bonus going with them that it is pre- assembled but I figure why not just put it together myself.

The last option is ordering a 6090 CNC from china with a 2.2 kw spindle which I can get for about $2300, just soo many choices it is hard to decide.

But to answer your question, I am planning on cutting sign board which has .5mm aluminum on both sides with HDPE (6mm) sandwiched inbetween. Do you think the CNC mogul 6.0 will be able to cut through this material without any deflection?

Last edited by Abscent; 11-15-2014 at 03:45 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

First time I've heard of gryphoncnc but looking at the they are definitely directly related in some way. Look down at their Flickr pics you will recognize the lion head and American flag pieces from Mogul videos on YouTube. Seems little they have the new beefier gantry rails along with the original electronics that contributed greatly in giving the mogul a bad reputation .......interesting

I'm not sure to what extent any of them ship assembled but bolting plates and rails do not really compare in level of difficulty next to starting a Joe's Cnc or 'Ox's with just the plans. The gryphon or Mogul would be assembled before you source all your parts for Joe or the Ox

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cutting .5mil aluminum should not be a issue

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Abscent View Post
    Thanks for replying. I had almost given up on this thread but yes I have to agree the new 6.0 build looks good and solid. Actually a youtuber Micheal with a CNC mogul is going to cut some simple shapes to show how accurate the machine is on his YouTube channel soon. So I am impressed that he is willing to do that fo me, which pretty much has me sold right there.

I have to agree that the original had some design flaws and cheap electronics but by ordering the frame and electronics through automationtechnologiesinc.com I can use gecko driver along with good steppers and an upgraded Z axis stepper for around $1400, by the time I throw in a water cooled Chinese 2.2 kw spindle. It seems like one hell of a good package and within my $1800 budget.

Or i stumbled across another company called gryphoncnc.com which uses the CNC mogul design but the cheaper electronics for $1800 for a 3x3 area. The major bonus going with them that it is pre- assembled but I figure why not just put it together myself.

The last option is ordering a 6090 CNC from china with a 2.2 kw spindle which I can get for about $2300, just soo many choices it is hard to decide.

But to answer your question, I am planning on cutting sign board which has .5mm aluminum on both sides with HDPE (6mm) sandwiched inbetween. Do you think the CNC mogul 6.0 will be able to cut through this material without any deflection?
    Glad I could help you out with the precision test.

If anyone else is curious, I too am very happy with my CNC Mogul. Mike was very helpful through all of the ordering and build process. I have the 4x8 setup with a 3HP spindle.