COnverting 2D images to 3D cutting files - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: COnverting 2D images to 3D cutting files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here's an interesting approach, using shadows and multiple images.

http://zarria.net/

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Salty,

Interesting document that I can see offers a design option for front on faces but the problem gets harder when only 3/4 of the face is visible. Plus trying to get the hair to blend smoothly + glasses etc means a significant amount of surface modelling is required, not to mention the cost and training requirement for such advanced design software that can represent a whole face as a parametric object that scales and distorts all associated features, keeping surface continuity and smoothness.

Very interesting project and well worth pursuing.

Cheers,
    Tony

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is another option ..

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~yuzhu/research-1.htm

it’s an interesting read and very possible. Basically it uses the fact that two or more photos of the same object when taken from different angles, will contain different amounts of data that can be used to allow for 3D rendering to occur. I have found the full 100+ pages for sale but as I can't program not sure if it's worth the purhase ?

Salty

Downloads
    Uploads

I wonder how the brain would react to a carving of this one...

Attached Images Attached Images
    Expensive tools can be cheaper than professional therapy

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is exactly my point, I can see this bloke as AB LINCON not because of the quality of the photo, or the details present, but because I has seen an image of AB, much like this one before...

Imagine, if the software were to scan thru it's archieves and find images that were known to it that "resembled" the image in question, and returned a list of possible matches the operator would say Ya / Na, and from this it could be "tweeked" to match the context it was to be used

Just think if a computers were to start Art lessons? What sort of Abstract Art would you get from them (Just think of the headlines.... "Computer paints white on white, Sotherbee's sell for record $3MillionUSD")

Continuation..... "Computer Dumps Agent for lower commisions" or "486DX sues P4 for stollen works.."

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, Abraham Lincoln jumps to mind, but I wonder if the computer might get confused trying to decide which line to pursue when / if it also spotted the naked lady in the picture?

The concept of using a database to match objects / face features etc. sounds interesting.

Cheers,

Tony

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

well I thing I have found a solution but what I need is a code writer with CNC experiance Do we have any takers???

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What's the solution?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I beleive the solution is in rewritting some of the 3d software that is used by gamers in the genaration of 3D anamation and graphical rendering.
    One of the points that should be continually expressed is: - the software does not need to create a true 3D image .... what I mean is, we will not be creating an object that when rotated displays previously "hidden" details - Take a coin; The left half of "El Presidenta" face is never seen. if you rotate the coin all you will see is the side top or back, in much the same way as our machined object.

With this in mind.....All the edges of the shape to be machined must all start at a Z=0 height, then we need to find which parts of the image are infront of or behind their neighbours surfaces. ( this depth of height is then proportioned to the amount of Z dictated during the set-up phase)

( I beleive the key to all this lies in facial recognition software, wavelet based Image analysis, and a few rules used to detect sizes of objects based on pixel counts, and the ability to determaning shapes based on light relections and surface interpolation. )

I have been trolling the GOOGLE search engines for around 14hours a day for the last two weeks and have read over 200 articals most I have no idea on, but with the aid of pics I think I get the gist of the ideas.

Please if anyone has any other ideas, or code abilities I have nearly 500Mb of PDF's and other usefull stuff, including some MatLab Coding....that could see this niffty idea come to a reality

Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

so where is every one ?

seams I've scarded everyone away...

is this me ----> or are there others on my side of the fence ???

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Salty72
    so where is every one ?

seams I've scarded everyone away...

is this me ----> or are there others on my side of the fence ???

Your looking for G-Code writers? PM me

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Salty can you supply me with the link to profiler6 THANKS

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Acme Profiler version 6:

http://www2.fwi.com/~kimble/scispec/scispec.htm

Good program for $20.00

RipperSoftware

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Guys I have come across two programs that do in some fashion what Iam trying to acheive
    the first is VS3D ( http://www.designscomputed.com/) and the
    Second is ARTCAM ( http://www.artcampro.com/toolbox/3d_face.htm )

however both of these require the use of molding tools to pull and push features to improve the deth of the imge (the teeth are still high and the eye are still sunken with high patchs for the whites of the eyes)

Salty

Downloads
    Uploads

I am using BMP2CNC http://www.mr-soft.net/en/bmp2cnc.html to carve in white acrylic and it works fine for me with 0.25mm step and a deep V bit. If I remember well the cost of this soft is around 40$.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

@salty72 is this still an active thread or has everyone given up the 3d photo to g-code idea? As you can see I've never posted to this forum before but I am interested in taking this stuff just a little further. I have been toying with the idea of a 3d sbs image converted to a depth map and chucking that into linuxCNC to get the g-code and carve/machine from that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12