hopeless dust shoe

Thread: hopeless dust shoe

Downloads
    Uploads

Default hopeless dust shoe

Hi.
    The dust shoe that was supplied with my machine is hopeless, so i have been looking at YouTube with a view to making my own.

It seems there are two main types:

1 the shoe is attached to a non moving z axis location and the brush set at table top level while the spindle travels up and down the z axis.

2 the shoe is attached to the spindle and moves up and down with it.

It seems to me that option 1 with a significant hole for the spindle travel would lose a lot of suction

and

option 2 adds weight to the z axis motor.

My experience is limited to one hybridised design that doesn't work, as far as i can see because the brushes encircle the cutter and collapse when the downward z movement allows the hood to 'float' , and when x and y travel takes them horizontally.

Is there a clearly superior choice re option 1 or 2 ? and please advise where I can find more designs

Thanks,
    Rob.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: hopeless dust shoe

I made dust shoes for both my mill and router. The one on the mill works good after I trimmed out a lot of brush.

hopeless dust shoe-img_0261-jpg

The one for the router works but not as well as I would like and needs modification. I think the base needs to be cut out below the suction hose, I need to do some experimenting.

hopeless dust shoe-img_0379-jpg

One of the problems is that my Porter Cable router blows a lot of cooling air through the motor and it exits out the bottom thus blowing chips to the side. I need to figure out how to channel that air in the correct direction without restricting the cooling air. I didn't have a brush that I could install so I use some thin conveyor belt I had as the skirt.

hopeless dust shoe-img_0361-jpg

And the bottom view

hopeless dust shoe-img_0384-jpg