The postman arrived with my atmega88 chip and a AVRISP programmer today, joy. I connected up my stepper to the mcu and started programming some short lines to try to move the motor. That was no problem. I managed to do full and half stepping without problems in unipolar mode. I was not able to communicate with the computer though as I haven't got a LPT port on my computer. I guess I have to get an old computer dedicated for that as this one doesn't have PCI slots to spare. I did not try bipolar nor microstepping today, that will be something I'll have to do tomorrow. The project is going smoothly for now.
Building the moving parts of the machine has unfortunately been delayed until week 42, but I'll do as much of the electronics as I can manage until then.