I have several posts related to cutting out the parts for my new router on my old thread. I have tried to organize them so that they will follow a more logical order. A few places I had assembled stuff on the old router before remembering to take pictures. I will try to get some more pictures of the parts that I am reusing on the new router.
I cut out pieces for long ribs for the x-axis a while back. Since they are too long to cut in one position I have been thinking about the proper way to cut them on the router in two passes. They are very similar to Joe’s original plans, but I re-drew them to make changing lengths a little easier and to make the tolerances a little tighter. But, they are definitely inspired by Joe's design.
I created a fence along the edge of my x-axis cut area, to align parts consistently with the x-axis. Then I (using double sided tape) used 3/4 inch spacers to move the part out from the fence so that I could cut both sides of the part. Since each rib has 7 rounded rectangular cutouts, I set up the gcode to cut 4 of them in the first pass and the second pass will cut the remaining 3 after flipping the piece end for end.
Then I took a piece of 3/4" mdf and cut out a piece that matched the size of the cutout and sanded the top 1/4" to about a 3° taper. I put it in the 4th hole and screwed it in place to act as a place holder to insure accurate positioning when the piece is flipped end for end. It is a snug fit so there should be no movement. Then I could put double-sided tape on the end of the piece, slip it over the spacer, push it down to set the tape and it was ready to go. It worked great and I got all four of the ribs cut out.