Hi folks, I guess my building project has finally started after many weeks/months of planning, reviewing, playing with software etc .
My motors and controller came in on Thursday so I spent yesterday and today gutting an old 386 computer for the power supply and case and carrying out motor tests (I just couldn't resist spinning those motors ).
I searched high and low for a large heatsink I know I have here somewhere but of course with moving house twice in two years it's not to be found! In the end I decided to pull a pair of heatsinks off the 386 motherboard and used those to mount the power resistors on. I even mounted a 12V fan to help keep them cool.
The motors fired up at the first attempt and ran nicely (one is not quite as smooth running as the other two so I will use that one on the Z axis). I ran several batches of code through them using a number of different pieces of control software and the motors stayed cool throughout and the resistors were warm but not hot (you could easily leave your hand on them).
I have attached a photo of the test set up (ignore the rat's nest.....lol......it will be neater when complete. The controller is a Stepperworld SP-3HT and the motors are Superior Electric 75 oz./in. units.
Now I have to start on the woodworking side and get the machine built!