Thought you might be interested in the progress of my latest monster.
The CNC router that I've been building from scratch is finally alive and making it's first cuts....
I still need to do some calibrations and fine tuning (mostly in the software to accommodate the machine's backlashes etc.).
Limit and emergency stop switches need to be mounted.
I also need to come up with a functional method of clamping things down to the sacrificial MDF base (probably will cut "T" slots and use bolts).
Also needed are hand wheels for the X and Z axises.
Anyway, I've been talking about it since July and have finally got all the pieces put together, waited for the appropriate lightning storm and flipped the switch....
The top end rapid speed is about 45 Inches Per Minute (although cutting speeds will be slower depending on the medium).
X travel: 37"
Y travel: 31"
Z travel: 5"
(The entire X axis can be moved up or down which in turn extends the range of the Z axis for thicker objects)
Boring FYI stuff....
The Extruded Aluminum square tubing (80/20 company's website: http://www.8020.net/ ) that the frame is constructed from is from the scrap yard.
The X (suspended on the gantry) rails/bearings are from the scrap yard.
The Y and Z rails/bearings are from Ebay
The Motors were purchased new from Anaheim Automation (http://www.anaheimautomation.com/lseries23.htm)
The Gecko Stepper drivers (http://geckodrives.com/) (qty.3) were purchased second hand but unused from cnczone.com
The 46 Volt power supply was built from scratch from components found at the scrap yard.
The computer case that became the control box was donated (destined for the scrap yard).
The 5 and 12 Volt supply is from the computer power supply that came with the donated case. ( the 5 volt supplies all three Gecko's and the parallel breakout board, the 12 volt is used for 3 muffin fans to cool the Geckos and the rectifier).
The parallel port breakout board was purchased new from CNC4PC.com (http://www.cnc4pc.com/Parallel_Port_Interface_Card.htm)
The 3/4" 10 TPI ACME rods and nuts (two six foot rods and 6 nuts) were purchased new from dependable acme (http://dependableacme.com)
The aluminum plates that have been machined into various components of the structure were a mixture of new and scrap yard finds.
The motor control cables were purchased online as a single 40' length of "trailer" wire from Sherco Automotive Supply (http://www.sherco-auto.com/trailerwire.htm)
Connectors were all purchased new from various electronic supply houses. (RH&M in Bowling Green KY, Radio Shack, Digikey).
I used 1/4-20 hex head cap screws of various lengths on all machined parts. Purchased new from Enco (http://www.use-enco.com).
The cutter is a RotoZip RZ20 purchased new from Lowes.
The sacrificial base is MDF purchased new from Lowes.
I got mixed up in naming some of the early pictures of the X and Y axises. But you should be able to tell what is going on by the picture and the names of the pictures. Not much in the way of a written log, just a lot of Cad files and GCode generated for the needed parts.
I used a Shoptask Eldorado Bridgemill that I converted to CNC back in February ( http://www.shoptask.com ) to machine all of the needed parts. I really enjoyed the design and machining phase (I've only been messing with metal stuff since about December of 04 when I purchased the Shoptask).