My first router was built following the JGRO plans with a few tiny modifications. The machine is nice, but has some shortcomings such as gantry flex, leadscrew whip, and pipe flex/sag.
I've taken what I learned from the JGRO machine and applied it to a new design. Lots of ideas borrowed from Steve(spalm) and Gerry(ger21). Huge props to Steve for his trial and error efforts, and for persisting until he finds the best solution to a problem. I've learned a lot from his posts. Big thanks to Gerry for always being one of the first to answer my questions, no matter how noobish or stupid they were.
Here's a few pictures of my 80ish % completed model. I still need to add fasteners, motor mounts, bearing mounts, and probably a few other things.
The machine will have a cutting area approximately 40"x27"x5". I'm considering extending the X out to 48" so that it can work an entire strip cut from a 4'x8' sheet. Most of the machine will be made from 1/2" baltic birch plywood. I'll probably use a bit of MDF here and there.