So I was more like a 1/8 inch off on each side (which was pretty disappointing) Pic 1 shows my seeing if a shim would work. I went out and got some flat 1/8th inch Al (pic 2) and it solved the problem nicely.
I then got my 1/2-10 ACME rod and noticed in one of them I had a pretty nasty bend it in. I went sniffin on the web to see how you get a bend out of a rod. And found a few sites that gave some tips. Pic 3 shows the bend. It was almost 3/8ths. I was just praying I didn't have a spiral bend, which I figured I'd be cooked trying to get out. Pic 4 shows my sad attempt at trying to get it out. This kinda worked but not real well. I have the feeling you need a lot more force then a quickgrip can give. Then I had a brainy idea. I made a channel for the rod to lay in Pic 5. Then clamped it in so the bend was being forced out, (now for the brainy part) I hooked my drill to the end of the rod and started turning it. I had to do it a few times but this actually got most of the bend out. Then after all of that I realized that the bend was at a point in the screw that I could cut on either side of it and just not use that part. I like to think of it as a good learning experience (sad attempt at justifying 2 days of monkey around with the bend). It's one of those deals where you get so caught up you stop using you head.
Pic 6 shows it really starting to look like something. As a side note I had never cut Al before so I was a little worried about it. But it was easy, I used my miter box for some of it and a jigsaw for the smaller parts I was too chicken to try on the miter saw. But you could use a hacksaw if you had too.