a cnc dummie - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: a cnc dummie

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: a cnc dummie

I went a step further today and pulled the mach 4 program and computer .. I took the mach 3 and computer that has been running my smaller machine and copied the profile, modified and tested.
    I now have motors that will rattle and bang but do not respond to the controller. I can run gcode no problem and dir and step blink and move as I guess they should but not motor movement.( dir is a bit dim, not sure why)
    I have played with pins and tabs until I am blue.. good grief.

Downloads
    Uploads

leptronjohn,
    Post a picture of your setup. It should like if your getting an error when you rotate your motor that you might have your encoders on the motors wired incorrectly to the driver. I don't have that type driver did you look in the manual for the ERR 020, ???

Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Russ the err 20 seems to be a band width question. there are two settings 200 or 500
    double checking encoder wiring and motor wiring..
    a cnc dummie-win_20170501_08_47_55_pro-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

looking for pictures

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a cnc dummie-win_20170213_08_13_54_pro-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

better picturesa cnc dummie-win_20170530_12_59_44_pro-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a cnc dummie-win_20170530_12_59_05_pro-jpg   a cnc dummie-win_20170530_12_59_14_pro-jpg   a cnc dummie-win_20170530_12_59_32_pro-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Can you post the models of each part of your system. I think I see the C62 from CNC4PC, and I think you have the ESS, what is the model of the servo driver? That will let me find the PDF for the driver to look at that error. There are many things interacting and they all have to be right to get things to work correctly. Assume you are using Mach4 and the latest ESS plugin as well.

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

leptronjohn,
    I assume the error displayed on the driver one of the blue units correct?
    Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

russ,
    I even tried the mach 3 from my other machine this weekend..

mach 4 #3372
    ESS 201

cnc4pc C-62
    leadshine easy servos ES MH-23480 on 110 V
    ES DH-1208 leadshine drivers
    C-34S DH serial converters (cnc4PC)
    windows 10 on Microsoft surface

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

blue unit is correct.. also the led is red all the time and I saw a note that said green.. not sure if that is right.. this is the power led on the blue units..

Last edited by leptronjohn; 05-30-2017 at 07:01 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Russ, I did find a problem on my 15 pin converter on Y. I by passed it and it will move properly with the rs232 cable. I am checking the other axis wiring too.
    I will fix these items then move forward the next problem , will take a couple hours.
    thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

leptronjohn,
    First thing to check is to remove the load from the motor. The ERR20 indicates the motor is not getting to the requested position even after adding many additional steps. This indicates either the encoder is not wired correctly or these is too much load for the motor to move to the requested position. The encoder outputs differential signals A, A/, B, B/ and all four signals need to be present for the data to be processed correctly. It is possible if the load is too much for your motors that you are losing steps causing the issue. This is why you need to pinpoint the issue by removing all load and see if the motor moves correctly.

Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Russ,
    I chased the problem I thought I had with the bulkhead fittings and extra wire.
    I by passed all this and plugged the leadshine provided encoder wires directly into the servo drivers.
    I have managed to some how get one motor to run on the RS-232 directly from the computer but the other motors are still giving me fits.
    My Y motor is installed and connected to my drive screw and runs fine back and forth, some times it makes a bunch of noise.
    the two motors on X and the Z motor are not connected but bolted in place.. the X motors will still show 020 code , the z just sits still and does not sow or do anything..
    I have been trying to bypass the wires every place I can.. now running out of patience with my self.
    john
    I tried to get one servo (X) to talk to the C-62 but nothing there... geez, I can build a full size airplane ..

Downloads
    Uploads

Leptronjohn,
    Have you tried to use the one motor that works fine with the RS232 link and then just swap out that motor with a suspect motor. You can verify all the motors work using this method. Then I would swap the drives one at a time with the one that works. Once you verify all the motors and drives work fine you are probably looking at an issue with the C62 perhaps not configured correctly or defective. The X motor not connected to anything and showing the 020 seems to indicate the encoder or motor perhaps are either not wired correctly have a broken wire or perhaps one is defective, that is why you need to run the previous test to make sure you have some good hardware. Yes, I know what your talking about these things can be frustrating to get working, that is why you need to break it down into little chunks and verify it chunk is working.

Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Russ,
    I did start separating the motors and drives as you suggested. this gave me even more bad feelings as the one motor I thought was working fine, was sporadic, works and then does not.
    I have spent thousands of dollars and a thousand hours of time and then a couple hundred hours of trouble shooting time.. I have had enough.
    Yesterday I pulled the box of servo drives and the c-62 board. I now have wired in a Bob Campbell breakout board and gecko 203V drives. I wired them directly to the servo motors already installed on the machine and bypassed the encoders. In short, the machine is now working, though it is not going to have encoders . I will continue to find a solution for this just probably not the units I have now.
    there should be self test buttons and other easier setups. I believe the leadshine are probably the best for OEM systems, just not my platform. I do not have the bandwidth for this.
    you and several like you have been very gracious in spending time to help me in this. For that I thanks yo very much. I am available for any conversation .
    john

Downloads
    Uploads

Totally understand, these things can really be overwhelming when you have issues. I once took a break for six months to lead my head rest and then came back it got it all working. LOL

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by leptronjohn View Post
    Hi Russ,
    I did start separating the motors and drives as you suggested. this gave me even more bad feelings as the one motor I thought was working fine, was sporadic, works and then does not.
    I have spent thousands of dollars and a thousand hours of time and then a couple hundred hours of trouble shooting time.. I have had enough.
    Yesterday I pulled the box of servo drives and the c-62 board. I now have wired in a Bob Campbell breakout board and gecko 203V drives. I wired them directly to the servo motors already installed on the machine and bypassed the encoders. In short, the machine is now working, though it is not going to have encoders . I will continue to find a solution for this just probably not the units I have now.
    there should be self test buttons and other easier setups. I believe the leadshine are probably the best for OEM systems, just not my platform. I do not have the bandwidth for this.
    you and several like you have been very gracious in spending time to help me in this. For that I thanks yo very much. I am available for any conversation .
    john
    This is my opinion : Stepper and servo should not be used in the same sentence. You can't "fix" a position error from a motor stall by adding in more steps! If a stepper motor is stalling it needs one thing: more torque (or less load) . Now to get more torque you have two choices: Raise the motor current or lower the motor RPM (pulls it back up the torque curve) #1 requires the drive to be able to increase the current considerably. Most drivers and motors won't handle it for more than a few seconds. #2 works but causes the one axis to slow down while the others kkep going so you coordinated position is scrapped. If you want a servo then buy a true servo system where the motors have a better torque curve (torque does not decrease with RPM) and adding in steps actually does something.

So a steeper with an encoder is not a servo. The physics of the two motors are vastly different. The term "lipstick on a pig" comes to mind.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123