Mactec56, the servos ae not locked up and can be moved by hand,
    thanks for your time.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: a cnc dummie

Quote Originally Posted by leptronjohn View Post
    Mactec56, the servos ae not locked up and can be moved by hand,
    thanks for your time.
    So this is the first thing that needs to happen, they don't have any power connection, you most likely have the programing and pins correct, so the motors need to lock up as soon as the power is turned on to the system

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

leptron,
    The manual you posted was really the software manual for the drive. What model of drive do you actually have? The enable signal must be active or the motors will never move on command. Like Machtec54 said as soon as the servo drive is enabled the motors will lock and you will not be able to turn the shaft. I looked at several Leadshine drivers and most are enabled with a low signal meaning ground. The instructions on the software showed it could be configured to be active low or active high. I did not find any Leadshine driver that used a RJ45 connector for the control signals so you must have a different model. Post the model number and we can help you get this beast moving.
    Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

cncman172,
    the drive I am using is the ES DH1208.
    the C-62 board used crj-45 so I bought a c-34 converter board for the ES dh1208 that allows me to plug in the rj045 on that side.
    I am including picture of my control box and pictures of the c-62 pinout for the rj45 and the c-34 pinout.
    thanks for your time

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

a cnc dummie-win_20170505_08_48_19_pro-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

a cnc dummie-win_20170505_08_48_28_pro-jpga cnc dummie-win_20170505_08_48_52_pro-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

All you have to do to test your motors is do the following for the enable signals.

CN1-pin11, is ENA+
    CN1-Pin12 is ENA-

If you connect Pin-11 to +5V to +24V, and then connect Ground to Pin-12 that will turn on the opto and the drive will become ready.

The driver is designed to be driven with a differential signal, or singled ended signal of either a positive or negative signal. Think of the CN1-pin 11,12 as nothing more than a light bulb. If the light bulb is turned on the drive will become active.

For a quick test just take one of the drive and put the voltage between pin 11 and 12 as I defined above and you will see the motor will become instantly rigid ready for motion commands.

Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

cncman172 ,
    ok, I will get my head wrapped around that and build a harness to test one this morning.
    thanks for the input, you have no idea who much I appreciate this. I will let you know how it goes.
    jo

Last edited by leptronjohn; 05-05-2017 at 08:00 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

leptron,
    This is very basic stuff, so don't worry to much. They use optoisolators for the signals coming into the motor drivers. In the case of the enable signal you are just telling the driver it is ok to power up the motor and allow it to move when commanded. Once you do the simple test I outlined above you will gain confidence of what is missing. Then I can help you determine the right way to drive the signal with your control board. This is not very complicated and most motor drivers have many of these same features. Give it a quick test and you will put a smile on your face.

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

leptron,
    the pictures you posted of your machine control show drivers that do not seem to match the manual ES-DS1208 that you specified.

http://www.leadshine.com/UploadFile/...1208d_V1.4.pdf

Actually maybe they are the same drive but you have used little breakout boards to plugin into the CN1 connector on the drive that turns some of those pins to the RJ45. The problem is unless the breakout card also has access to the other pins you will not have access to pins 11,12 which are required for the enable. However, I just looked at the documentation for the C34 board so you can move the jumper between pin 2 & pin 3 and that is a hard enable for your drive. This will allow the motor to be controlled. Make sure those little black jumpers are on pins 2,3 for each of the drives.

Russ

http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/C34ES-DH...R%20MANUAL.pdf

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

cncman172,
    ok, played with and checked the harness. the pins 7 and 8 do have the 24 and 5 volt on them. if I clip the wires to these two wires the machine faults and shuts down.
    when I hook them back up everything fires up again , after a reboot.
    at least I am learning about my machine right... glass half empty..
    BTW are you a Cessna driver?
    jo

Downloads
    Uploads

leptron,
    No I am not a Cessna driver, but it would be great to have an airplane. A friend of mine owns one and takes me for rides from time to time. LOL

Why did you clip the wires to these pins? Why didn't just just try and move the little black jumper on the little daughter board C34 to pins 2&3 This puts the required voltage on the enable inputs on the driver and the servo should not fault it should go active. Keep the RJ45 plugged into the rest of the circuit but that little jumper was designed to enable the driver.

Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Russ,
    I was looking at the "172" in your sign in, a Cessna number.. ok, I give, I am a plane guy. :-)

on the simple pin jumpers, I did not see your note until this morning. I had built up quick new cables and clipped
    the wires as this was the easiest way to compete that task as I knew. the original cables are still in place.
    at any rate, I moved the jumpers this morning and had the same effect, it faulted the system. I tried moving the fault jumpers on the board
    and it reacted the same way.
    I have the IEEE1284 set on compatible and the port outputs for step and direction set on TTL.

I know I am taking up valuable time from you,
    thanks, john

Downloads
    Uploads

John,
    When you say it faulted the system, exactly what got faulted. In the Mach3 software?

It is really important you go through the C62 manual carefully as they have many jumpers on that board that must be configured correctly.

The CN1 44-pin connector on the Servo Driver board has two pins that can enable the driver.
    CN1-pin11, is ENA+
    CN1-Pin12 is ENA-

Each of the RJ45 connectors on the C62 have assignments like the first one is for the X axis.
    RJ45-#1
    RJ45-1 = NC
    RJ45-2 = STEP-X
    RJ45-3 = NC
    RJ45-4 = GND
    RJ45-5 = ERR/RES-X
    RJ45-6 = DIR-X
    RJ45-7 = 12/24V
    RJ45-8 = 5V

The C34 little board with the RJ45 jack that pushes onto the CN1 connector of the driver is a handy little card. If you have the little jumper between pins 2 and pins 3 that really just puts 5V on CN1-11 and Ground on CN1-12, which enables the driver.

If you are getting a fault the first thing I would do is disconnect all the other RJ45 plugs, but make sure the power is off before you take that step. Start at square one, just one driver and one RJ45 plug, but before you take that step open the C62 manual and go page by page and check the jumpers on the C62 board.

When the system faults you need to write down exactly what faults more details are needed. This can help point you in the direction of what needs to be fixed first.

Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

when I release the estop it would light up the servo lights, x,y,z along with step and direction. 4 or 5 seconds later it shuts down like I had pushed the estop.
    the only light on is the "standby" light and power lights.
    I have to shut down the program and the power to the cnc to reset.

I will pull the power and rj connections to the other servo drivers , thinking I will need to also do something with them on the board (pins config.) I will play with that for a bit them thinking I feel like I should stop and upgrade the mach 4 program and pull the ess plugin and upgrade.. start a new profile from the beginning. cnc4pc shows a profile to down load that sets up pins and config. I have that but feel like something is missing. oh, its my brain, he, he. . thanks again for everything.
    john

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, if you are running Mach4 then get the latest ESS plugin and load the CNC4PC profile it will probably get you 90% of the way there. I have Mach4 and ESS on one of my machines and it works just fine. I have Mach3 and the parallel port on another machine and that also works fine.

Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a machine I bought years ago from widget master in the zone. I finished building the electronics a couple years ago.
    It has Mach 3 and parallel ports. it took me a bit but it is building plaques for my wife. so I thought , hey, no problem I can now
    build bigger and better... geez, I forgot I was getting older.. funny
    jo

Downloads
    Uploads

Widget makes great machines, he is a great machinist. I learned a great deal watching his builds. Does get harder as we get older

Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have gone through all the wiring and have updated all the programs for mach 4 and ess just to make sure I am not wasting everyone's time. . everything seems to work well to a point. I can run a g code on my computer and it all works as I like.(well the screen does) I am only running the Z axis now for simplicity.
    the dir light blinks for changes as I would expect but the step just sits there. light on or off as I set the high or low. of course the ES DH1208 drives are just sitting with the L----O on the led.
    I ordered in the cable to link the drive to the computer and use the ES motion controller..
    the drive unit shows an ERR 020 when I try to rotate..
    oh me poor me.. I feel stupid... :-)
    john

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast