Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Road runner test

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3sTIAp9seA"]YouTube- roadrunner .wmv

The famous roadrunner test without an actual Z axis !! The sharpie didn't cut the MDF too well .. hahaaa... maybe need to sharpen that sharpie!

Downloads
    Uploads

This thing looks great so far. That went together surprisingly fast as well!

Downloads
    Uploads

The idea behind this first build was to design something sturdy and professional looking but without the need for custom machined parts. The only tools I used is a drill press, jig saw, sliding compound miter saw, and a grinder. The key to putting it together quick is to use pre-made diy based components. I did alot of research and price comparison ahead of time.

Once I get everything done, I will break the machine down to the 3 or 4 main component and do a detail BOM for each. I will also do an assembly video if anyone is interested in building this machine. Not sure if there are any interests since there are very few active users on this threads.

Downloads
    Uploads

There are a lot of us that look without making a comment.
    Looking good so far.

Downloads
    Uploads

I always appreciate any comments, good or bad.. gives me a little motivation to drag my butt into the garage on my days off....

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by nguyenst View Post
    I always appreciate any comments, good or bad.. gives me a little motivation to drag my butt into the garage on my days off....
    You're not working in a vacuum here. You're world wide......

Lack of comments means viewers are looking for ideas, reading just for the entertainment value, tend to approve of what you are doing and have no comments, or don't know enough yet to feel comfortable with making comments that may turn out wrong later. When you do something blatently wrong or need some help they will speak up.

CarveOne

CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by nguyenst View Post
    I like the design and the fact that you have moved quickly to the building stage. Many of us get caught up in the design and don't get onto the building stage fast enough.

Jason

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Great Progress & Videos

Steve (Van)
    You really have moved along quickly. Thanks for posting the great videos. As I posted originally, I am planning a very similar design/build. I'm eagerly awaiting your BOM. Also can't wait to see video of chips flying. Keep up the good (great) work.

So, here's my question for the day; Red Bull, Rock Star, Coffee.... or what? (please don't mention anything illegal )

Randy,

I may not be good....
    But I am S L O W!!

Downloads
    Uploads

On friday.. it was Red Bull .. it gave me wings.. hahaha...that's why I build the machine so fast...

I'm not sure why I got this thing built so fast??? could it be that this is the coolest thing I ever built?? My deck in our backyard is going on 4 years now.. still doesn't have any rails on it.

I should have it completed by this coming friday when I get the rest of the parts for my Z-axis. Chips will fly!! The Z-axis was delayed due to the fact that I got off track from my goal of "off the shelf parts". I was trying to see if I could reuse some old screw drive I had already purchased but it didn't fit right.

I ran into a few bumps on the way that I would like to share:

1) a laptop on a docking station does not work well even if it has a parallel port. Signal to driver board was sporadic.
    2) Check your saw to make sure it's squared!!! my 90 degree cuts were actually 94 degrees.. still have to correct that. The gantry had a slight misalignment. It really didn't affect the machine's performance or accuracy since the sides were parallel.
    3) you can't cut aluminum plate well with a fine tooth ( 20 tpi) blade on a jigsaw. A 10 tpi blade worked much better.
    4) a 60 tooth carbide blade on a miter saw works great on aluminum
    5) A cheap harbor freight ($59) doesn't drill holes real accurate... looking to upgrade for next project
    6) use a grinder on harden steel to break the surface before you use a jigsaw blade to cut the rack. I didn't learn this until after I smooth out 3 blades..hahaha...
    7) 8020 aluminum extrusion are HEAVY when you DROP them on the floor... where protective shoes. We asians tend to wear flip flops all day and forget when we go into the garage.. luckily it miss my toes...ouch...

OK.. I need help from the community... I had originally pick BLUE as a color to hilite the aluminum since I was trying to use some of the Mech Mate's design. After reading some of the comments over at the Mechmate forum, I would like to make this build more unique from the Mechmate. How about RED?? I would love for some fans to give color suggestions and also some name ideas. It would be great to give back to the community and help other build a similar machine. Do you think it's unique enough to deserve a name?? thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Color Scheme???

If you really want to differentiate your machine from the Blue MechMates out there....
    Might I suggest "Flamingo Pink". Might even have a name for the machine in there... "The Pink Flamingo". Only kidding, I'll truely contemplate a good name and color scheme for you to consider.

Randy,

I may not be good....
    But I am S L O W!!

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't know.. pink flamingo... got a nice ring to it..

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice work. Keep the pictures and videos coming. Trust me, people are watching. It's great to see a "small scale" R&P machine. I'm a big fan of 8020, and really appreciate the work that Ahren and others are putting into affordable, quality components for DIY builders.

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Z axis done

I got the Z axis finally mounted and working. I just need to get a router mount made. I'm thinking about just making it out of wood and then use the CNC to cut (slowly) a router mount. The K2CNC mounts are nice but I want to keep my cost down so will try to make one for about $10 out of the 3/4" aluminum plate I got from 80/20 Garage.

Here's some photo of the Z axis. I will shoot a video once I get the router mounted and cutting.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-img_1088_renamed-jpg   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-img_1089_renamed-jpg   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-img_1090_renamed-jpg   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-img_1091_renamed-jpg  

Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-img_1092_renamed-jpg   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-img_1095_renamed-jpg   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-img_1096_renamed-jpg   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-img_1097_renamed-jpg  

Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-img_1098_renamed-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Chicken or the egg?

nguyenst,
    Which came first... the router mount or the router mount? lol.
    I'm still contemplating a name and color scheme for your "Mini MechMate" machine.
    Seriously, your build is Lookin' Good. You did say done by Friday and here it is. You had better hurry with that router mount. I want to see video of chips flying.
    Great (quick) work, keep it up (and the pic's).

Randy,

I may not be good....
    But I am S L O W!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm agree with Randy, we neeeeed to see a video of your machine in action.

Jason

Downloads
    Uploads

Default name for machine

When I was trying to make my wiring a little neater, I found some pink zip ties. I just had to use it in honor of the "pink flamingo" suggestion...hahaha..

I will have a video of it cutting wood this evening after I get out of work. Does anybody have any G-code I can use to carve like a face or something in 3D? I looked around but couldn't locate any. I also need to learn to write G-code so I can test the machines performance.

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool Austin Powers?

Further thoughts regarding a name for your machine. Are you an Austin Powers fan (the spy spoof movie)?
    Perhaps give a nod to MechMate and Austin's arch nemises and call your machine the "Mini ME" (chMate).
    Color Scheme Thoughts. I like the pink zip tie find. As a further nod towards the "Pink Flamingo", you could make end caps for the 8020 out of pink plastic (I rather like the industrial feel of the aluminum extrusion in and of itself). Of course one must be secure in their masculinity to have pink highlights.lol.
    Great job. Eagerly awaiting an Oscar worthy video.

Randy,

I may not be good....
    But I am S L O W!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default First Cut!!!

Well.. got the temp MDF mount on there and a cheap harbor freight trim router mounted. Don't know if you notice or not but the temporary legs are not sturdy enough to keep it from walking a little. when the axis changes in the X or Y abruptly you can see the table move a bit.

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlsPqkD5ivE"]YouTube- First Cut for Mini Mechmate

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like a solid machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Baby's First Steps!

Congratulations!!!
    It is very fitting that the road runner is your first cut, considering how quickly you built your machine. The "Road Runner" always seems to make a cameo appearance in first cut videos. lol.
    Good work. Now the real fun begins; alignment, mastering CAD, learning G_code, spindle RPM settings, feed rates, etc., etc..... Then you can use the machine to cut it's own permanent router mount. True progress.
    Again, CONGRATULATIONS!!!
    Randy,

I may not be good....
    But I am S L O W!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast