Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts

I've been looking at building a Mech Mate for a while but do not want anything that heavy duty. I do like the design of the gantry and how it looks more sturdy with the horizontal sliding Y-axis. The construction of the Mech Mate is all custom work. I only own a small Harbor Freight drill press , compound miter saw, and a table saw.

Goal: machine to cut control panels for arcade with cutting size to handle 36" x 24" area. Needs to be fairly portable ( under 200 lbs). All parts will be pre-made or easily made using tools I own.

Design: I decided on a machine using CNCrouterparts components and 8020 extrusions. The design will be based on 3 rectangulars on a horizontal plane ( base/x-axis, gantry/x-car, and y-car/z carrier) and 1 rectangle for z axis itself. X and Y will be rack and pinion. Z axis will use screw drive. All rails will be 1/4" x 2" x ?? cold rolled steel and linear carriages from CNCrouterparts.

I will build one axis at a time and update with plenty of pictures and videos so others can benefit from what I learn as I build.

Pictures:
    1) mech mate CNC - mechmate.com
    2) mech mate gantrty / y-car ( notice the horizontal rectangular design?)
    3) first attempt at drawing with Google Sketchup

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-mechmate-gif   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-mechmategantry-gif   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-snapshot2-800x600-jpg   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-snapshot3-800x600-jpg  

Last edited by nguyenst; 02-12-2010 at 12:10 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Putting together X-axis

My X-axis/base will be made from 8020 extrusions that I got from ebay. I did not have a specific size in mind. I happen to won an auction with 13 pieces of 1530 with length of 27.75" each ($125 for all). I then also won 2 piece of 1530 @ 50" each. There's some really good deals on ebay for aluminum extrusions.

Parts List: (price does not include shipping)

(2) 1530 50" , lightly scratched surplus from 8020 Garage for $55.78
    (4) 1530 27.75" , lightly scratched and a few small holes drilled on side for $39
    (8) rack clamps from CNCrouterparts.com for $48.00
    (8) 5/6" hex bolts 3" from Home Depot for $2.40
    (2) 20 pitch 1/2"x1/2" x 72" (cut down to 50") rack for $93 ( could have gone with the 48" length)

The rack clamps came with carriage bolts that holds the rack onto the 8020 using the T-slot as an anchor. The way my frame is designed, there is a cross member (4) on the opposite side of each clamp. I replaced the carriage bolts with 3" hex bolts that go through the X-axis support to the cross member. Each end of the 8020 cross member was tapped for 5/16-18 threads. The trick was to have the holes spaced apart to match the clamp ( 1.5" spacing between holes). I had some slight misalignment so had to enlarge the hole a little to 3/8" on the ones that didn't quite line up. This wasn't a problem and it gave me a little wiggle room to adjust the cross beam so they are squared.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-054-800x600-jpg   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-056-800x600-jpg   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-058-800x600-jpg   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-059-800x600-jpg  

Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-061-800x600-jpg   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-062-800x600-jpg  
    Last edited by nguyenst; 02-10-2010 at 08:10 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Eagerly awaiting progress!!!

nguyenst,
    I'm considering a very similar design concept. I'll be following your progress (lurking) very intently.
    Do you have any plans/files you would be willing to share? I'm sure many others would also be interested. What do you plan on cutting with your machine? Have you looked at motors, electronics, etc. yet?
    Well, good luck with your build and remember to post many, many pictures.

Randy,

I may not be good....
    But I am S L O W!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default learning google sketchup

I'm in the process of learning Google Sketchup right now. I've just added a snapshot of what I got drawn so far in the first post. I will post more as I get better at 3D drawings.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default more work on x-axis and rails

Got part of the gantry cut and mounted to the carriage on both sides. I am not waiting for the 1/4" x 2" x 50" cold roll steel plates to arrive so I can start drilling and mounting. Using a piece of aluminum as a rail for mock up.

I cut the side piece for the gantry out of 8020 1530 series at 12" each piece. It was easy to cut using just a 10" 60 tooth carbide blade in my sliding miter saw. You just have to go slow and wear eye protection.

I'm getting a little better with the google sketchup program. Does anyone has a rack drawn up already so I can use??

Steven (Van)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-img_1010-800x600-jpg   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-img_1012-800x600-jpg   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-img_1014-800x600-jpg   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-img_1015-800x600-jpg  

Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-img_1016-800x600-jpg   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-img_1017-800x600-jpg   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-img_1018-800x600-jpg   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-snapshot-1-800x600-jpg  

Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-snapshot-1b-800x600-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default arcade machines

Just in case you are wondering what I'm building this CNC router for, here are some pics of the arcade machines I build. I currently build these by hand with a router, jigsaw, and some templates. As you can see , the CNC router is big enough for the control panel that I am building. Can't wait to see it in action. Since all the parts are recessed on the control panel, it is a pain to do it by hand and get the precision that I want. To do it correctly, it requires multiple templates. The CNC router will also be used to cut the plexiglass and appropriate holes.

The last pic is of my 4 year old son.. he's gonna be a game tester some day

Steven (Van)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-074-800x600-jpg   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-emu_grace-jpg   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-flagship-jpg   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-steel-jpg  

Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-steve-pics-811-800x600-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Looking Good!!!

Steven (Van),
    Your making good progress. Thanks, for posting the pics. Looks like you will be "making chips" in no time.

Randy,

I may not be good....
    But I am S L O W!!

Downloads
    Uploads

You know.. it's great to make progress but then I'm going crazy waiting for the next piece that is still in the UPS system somewhere!! I can't wait to get my steel for the rail so I can make a video of the X-axis in motion.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default DIY syndrome?

I think you may have DIY (Delivery In Yet) Syndrome. Don't worry though, it passes with time. That is untill the next anticipated delivery.

Randy,

I may not be good....
    But I am S L O W!!

Downloads
    Uploads

The build is looking great Van!! I wanna see more!! I just love the way Ahrens parts work with the 8020, it makes this whole thing alot simpler I think. How in the world do you get by doing the assembly in your LR? My wife would kill me!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Steve (Van);
    I like the double-Y gantry design very much, and I too am impressed by your family's level of understanding. Perhaps it has something to do with making money with this thing ...

How far apart are your Y-rails going to be? Do you plan to have one or two screws on the Z motion? Any concerns about racking within the Y or Z stages?

Cheers!
    pr

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks.. guys.. I can't wait to get it done. yeah.. the pre-fab parts do help it along. The reason my wife hasn't killed me is because I've tried to keep the parts on the floor down to a minimum..hahaha. I've been cutting and drilling in the garage but I didn't have room to assemble it. I've manage to sell my kit car this past friday so now have room to move my creation to the garage.

Paul,

The Y-rails are 12" apart. You don't really need go any wider, just enough room for the Z axis and router support. There shouldn't be any racking issues due to the small distance between rails on the Y and Z axis. The dual motor on the X axis will allow me to scale this CNC design to handle a full 4x8 sheet of MDF ( CNC #2 in near future).

Last edited by nguyenst; 02-17-2010 at 04:20 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

This looks awesome. Can't wait to see some updates!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default more work on design

since I have to wait for more pieces to arrive today, I did more work on the design.

pics below:

1) overview looking toward gantry and Y-car
    2) top view of double Y gantry
    3) closer view of Y-car

The Y-car will be a single instead of the double design because the extended carriages are not wide enough unless I add another piece of 1530 to extend the length to 12". I still havent' worked out the details on the Z axis yet. Not sure if the stepper motor will be fixed to the Y car or a moving part on the router support plate.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-sneak1-jpg   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-sneak2-jpg   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-sneak3-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Got X-axis rails

UPS delivered the metal for all the rails yesterday. I from midweststeelsupply.com . The price are very reasonable. They were alot cheaper than the local suppliers in Houston. The guy even cut them to size for me for free since it was easier to ship. I got 16 feet of 1/4"x2" 1018 steel for $30 plus shipping. This will be enough for me to do the X, Y, and Z rails.

Here's some pics of the work yesterday. I had to drill the X rails twice because I did not follow the rule of "measure twice drill once"! I was off by about 1/16" but that was enough for the bolts on the carriage to rub against the side of the base.

BTW.. I moved my project to my office ... didn't get a chance to clean up the garage yet!!!

1) this is my work area in the garage - very basic - no high end machinery
    2) saw I use to cut all my 8020 - use sharp 60 tooth blade and go REAL slow
    3) finished drilling the rails, the FIRST time..
    4) rails installed
    5) rails installed the second time - starting to mock up y-axis , the 3030 is just for mock up since my 1530 has not arrived yet. I am using the 3030 for my table saw fence ( another project - you can see it in the first pic)
    6) Full view of my design
    7) The dual gantry with Y car and router
    8) Y car close up
    9) Y car close up with router

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-img_1041-800x600-jpg   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-img_1043-800x600-jpg   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-img_1044-800x600-jpg   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-img_1047-800x600-jpg  

Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-img_1072-800x600-jpg   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-fullview-jpg   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-gantry-jpg   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-y-car-z-rail-jpg  

Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-y-car-z-rail2-jpg   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-router-support-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default X and Y axis done

I was off from work today so spend the morning and afternoon finishing up the X and Y axis. Took a while but finally got the stepper motor running on X and Y axis. I originally had a little trouble because I was using my laptop with a docking station. It works fine at slow speed but could not handle the faster jog.

Here's some eye candy of the finished axis. I tried to clean up a few pics because of the mess in my garage .. hahaa... You couldn't even find the CNC with all the mess in the background. It's like playing Where's Waldo?.

1) My unfinished Z-axis
    2) Power supply 6.5A at 24V from ebay $25 and 4-axis Megatronics controller from Easy-cnc.com
    3) Y axis and Y-car
    4) Z axis mounted on Y-car
    5) another view

I made a video of it drawing the road runner with a Sharpie since I don't have the Z axis done yet. I am missing a few pieces to finish the Z axis right now so need to order a few more pieces. The stepper motor I have will not work so will need to order another one from kelinginc.net .

I will post the video once I upload to youtube.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-img_1073_renamed-jpg   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-img_1077_renamed-jpg   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-img_1079_renamed-jpg   Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-img_1082_renamed-jpg  

Mini Mech Mate - off the shelf parts-img_1083_renamed-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Where's Waldo (I mean the Video)?

Coming along quickly, I see chips flying soon in your future. Your machine is coming together very fast. Now, just have to hope it is able to rapid as fast as you build.lol.

Keep up the good work and the posts. Please don't forget some video.

Randy,

I may not be good....
    But I am S L O W!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default gantry on X axis video

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe6y2Lzebp8"]YouTube- Cncrouterpartsrails.wmv

Testing the linear carriages for smooth motion without stepper motor

Downloads
    Uploads

Default gantry on X axis video

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaIzsEa5AtU"]YouTube- X Axis test.wmv

This is with one motor driving the gantry ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default testing X and Y axis

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOEMJeTnIRo"]YouTube- X and Y axis test.wmv

Got the Y axis put together ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast