New Machine Build DIY- CNC Embroidery Machine - Page 5

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY- CNC Embroidery Machine

Downloads
    Uploads

Bob..I think the fly wheel is driven by the stepper motor... So it can hold it tight

http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Controlling the needle postion.

On a sewing machine, constant rpms drive the needle and the fabric is fed by the foot under the fabric. The distance of the thread exposed on the surface of the fabric is controlled by the foot movement while the needle is cycling up then back down.

If I understand correctly, you will want to be able to control the length of the stitch to mimic embroidery. Therefore the XY frame will control the fabric leaving the foot to just pinch the fabric during a stitch.

THe problem lies in how to control the cycling of the needle especially if you want long stitches.

One thought is to have a stepper motor drive the needle axis (call it Z). THen have the stepper oscillate back and forth from a zero position (needle up). IN this way, simple XYZ GCode could be used to do the embroidery. Z would always have to be full depth to insert the needle, then full retract to remove, move to next XY, rinse and repeat until done. THis makes it easy to use image to gcode tools - select a color out of an image - convert to gcode - next color - repeat.

On thinking further, I believe a sewing machine will stitch in both directions so you do not need to keep constant direction on the needle drive shaft - it should operate bidirectionally or a single stitch at a time.

Just musing.......

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeard52 View Post
    Ivan

Lot and lots of Zone participants do that....It is encouraged...It may be that you will never build it but just have an interest in seeing it built. Keep up the good work..

It appears the dc motor mounted on the foot is just a mechanism to lift the foot during rapid axis movement to another location. I would wonder if there is a need for a braking mechanism for the flywheel. From memory doesnt the machine freewheel after power is ceased?

The engine mounted on the FOOT is a step by step (no 24V DC), the wheel motor is 24V DC. The step by step LIFT the foot for a fast movement.
    For the case of the brake is a very good question, had not thought about it...

BMG

Yes, you're right, but no one would use a step by step to the Z axis because it has to be in sync with the sewing thread which is below the fabric. (The machine sews the fabric above and below)
    In short, there must be a synchronicity between the main engine 24 vcd, the needle, and the system under stitch fabric. --It understands what I'm saying?--

Last edited by Factorargento; 02-01-2009 at 04:32 AM. Reason: BMG

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, you're right, but no one would use a step by step to the Z axis because it has to be in sync with the sewing thread which is below the fabric. (The machine sews the fabric above and below)
    In short, there must be a synchronicity between the main engine 24 vcd, the needle, and the system under stitch fabric. --It understands what I'm saying?--

Just add a simple slave-axis.

I still think a Z-axis (needle) controlled by a stepper motor would be easier to work with.

Free DXF - vectorink.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just trying to wrap my head around this concept... Using whatever motor that works it would have to end stitching in the Z up position to move to another location only the rhythm (stitch) would only be a on or off. Much like a coolant or toolchanger action or macro. Once the signal is sent to end stitching then a limit or relay would stop the needle in the up position......

Ivan
    Have you used this machine or just seen this concept?

Bob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have not torn apart a sewing machine (yet) but I believe the same motor that drives the needle is mechanically driving the foot and below table bobbins as well -so that motion is already synchronized. If I get bored today (unlikely) I'll pull the old machine out of the lamp table in the dining room and investigate.

If I am correct, then one motor drives the needle and the foot/bobbin enabling the use of a "Z" axis.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a basic sewing machine.

Looks like a crankshaft drives both the needle & bobbin.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY- CNC Embroidery Machine-11-gif  
    Free DXF - vectorink.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool that is exactly what I was thinking it did...

Bob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just a correction to my previous posts. When I mentioned the term "FOOT" - I meant to referr to the "Feed Dogs" shown in the Picture above. With normal sewing, these help to advance the fabric - the "foot" simply hold position when the needle is in the fabric.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello to all!

Blackbeard_Since already I have said previously, alone I saw the concept and shared it with you.

When I was saying foot I was referring to PRESSER FOOT.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default MY IDEAS

Hi guys long time no see hear. I built a CNC router 3 years ago on this site. I for 3 years have been wondering about building an embroidery machine. Yes I realize that they arent that expensive. But this is what I realized. I like to build things and even if i save 5 bucks its like sticking it to the man LOL.

I couldn't wrap my mind around it until I saw this thread. I don't know where you guys are in this but it hit me 15 mins ago like a load of bricks. I would like to use the software i currently have. I use vcarve and Mach 3. I started to think about the needle issue then the bulb went off.

The z axis. Yes i realize you already thought of that. But did you think of it as a drilling tool path?? In vcarve you can create drilling toolpaths. Basically you would use a safe z. That safe z would be the needle somewhere above the material being stitched. Then in order to sew you would lower the z.

So no encoders etc i dont think.

Basically think of a straight line with a "hole" drilled every 1/8th inch. Except the hole is not drilled it is "sewed". Replace the drill bit with the needle.

You can then "adjust" your stitch length by how far apart the "holes" are made.

Maybe I am way off base here but someone please let me know.

so in my mind i am seeing lines that make the pattern. Each line has a hole every 1/8 inch for each stitch. I am not sure how to easily go from a line to a drilling tool path but i think it is very workable.

I duno let me know

Tim

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok just a new thought to add

We have the x axis Figured out

The y axis figured out

SO on my thinking about the z as the needle control think of it this way. The sewig machine motors moves in a cirlce. USing a stepper on the z axis to control the machine. Now it would take so many "steps" to turn the handle. If 1 turn of the handle represented the neddle going down then back to 0. So in thinking you would use the drill bit path. but by adjusting the "depth" of the "hole" you would then adjust the position of the needle.

I apologize for rambling its just if i dont get this ide down i will lose it forever in my mind of ideas..

So the machine moves to the new "hole". The z lowers in mach 3. But what is actually going on is that it is turning the motor in the sewing machine. In the mach setup we would do the automatic figuring of z movement. So when we set up the machine we tell mach to move 1". It does and we look at machine to see from needle at highest point how far it went. What we want to is to guage the steps needed to do the one revolution. (stating it takes 1 revolution). Once this is set then we have a "distance" the z needs to move in order to get that 1 stitch. By then adjusting our depth of the "hole" we get our 1 stitch.

The only thing I am not sure on is when it makes the "hole"/ stitch then it wil want to revers the motor to bring z back up. I dont know if the sewing machine can do this. I think it can because most can sew backwards. So perhaps the depth of the "hole" would eb cut in half. That way it enters the hole bringing the needle to the bottom then the z reverses bringing the needle back. I just dont knwo if the machine can operate this way. If not then we need a toolpath that can lower the z but ignore the z up move. IE it would lower drilling the hole. Lowering the z drives the stepper driving the machine making one revolution/thus creating the stitch. but then taking out the code that raises the z or at least make it so that it doesn't make the motor do that. Perhaps leave it but find a way for it to not send the signal.

again a apologize for rambling but i just had to share my idea

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow Khalid....you continue to amaze! Is there anything you cannot do? Your busy making some great wood carvings, and now your designing and building a CNC Sewing machine.....I don't even know how a normal sewing machine works! I'll follow this with interest.

Downloads
    Uploads

It's good that this thread has so many followers!
    One idea I have is that maybe the machine does not need to control the Z axis! Yes, I am not drugged, (well, just a little) :rainfro: Perhaps only a matter of moving the head (the fabric) at a constant speed, and the main engine at a constant speed also.
    Well, it was an idea ...

Gretings to all...

IVAN

Downloads
    Uploads

Ohh.. Very Good progress so far.. .. I was on some business meetings few days and now i am online again...

Timmyb199, we welcome you in this thread... After reading through your brainstorming, i will just say that We no more required any drilling toolpaths for sewing purposes.. If you can make a drill toolpath postprocessor then the machine will become very slow, just imagine......

Just a profile toolpath by any software (Vcarve Pro, Artcam etc) will be enough to make beautiful quilting patterns..... Also it is previously mentioned and agreed by all of us,that we no more require a STITCH REGULATOR for quilting machine ... We just need a Hopping Foot and for me blackbeared gave a nice idea How to DIY it......But I will recommend the others DIYers to purchase it, if it is available in their locality stores...

I have made few Vector patterns, these are continuous vector designs for quilting purposes.... The machine build is on holdup, because of limitation in budgeted amount and some other business...However this is our 2009 Objective to make a workable quilting machine...

Currently, i am doing more to add features in my existing CNC Milling machine, so now it can do indexing+Lathe work too...This is because the 28th Feb Charity show in my Local community...

P.S:
    Thanks thkoutsidthebox for nice comments

http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hey everybody,
    I'm interested to make one embroidery machine , only thing i dont know is how to convert embroidery format of one model made with special embroidery soft {brother,tajima etc}into step dir stitch.To use "holes" in my cnc cad cam programs take a lot of time... maybe somebody can help me and explain how exactly embroidery machine transform those format into movement...
    best regards ,
    ben

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The theory is that you only control two axis X and Y the Z axis is merely a standard sewing machine either on or off...Much like a plotter. I listed an earlier post that contains instructions another site used to make the machine and watching the video from another post should give you a better idea

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I understand , but want to know how to control z axis{sewing machine}to punch where i want , to make that "zigzag"embroidery.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

the Z will just stitch... the Y and X axis control the zig zag.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

look at post #59 it has the example I was talking about

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast