New Machine Build DIY- CNC Embroidery Machine - Page 11

Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY- CNC Embroidery Machine

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I need it to move accurately Right and Left 120" and detect stops
    *This will be more of the machine, components and the software that you would be using.
    I.e. Mach3 software with feedback encoders or closed loop servos. I'm a little tired at the moment, but I was thinking that Khalid was mainly working on a gcode generator. Not a cnc controlling software.
    ((I'll have to reread the thread again...ZzZzZzzz))

I need it to move Forward and Back 16"
    *Same as above. Also, I would expect that you actually need less "machine" travel, because the quilt will be filling up the take up bar and taking away some of the possible space with the rolled up finished quilt..

I need it to Advance and Rewind the Quilt on the 10' long rods.
    *I'm not sure how your wife's machine looks, but most machines don't rewind because the top, batting, and backing are on separate poles. Some have power advance. It probably wouldn't be too difficult to integrate, but you have to be concerned with stretching the quilt or wrinkles.
    ((I spend way to much time watching the wife quilt.... I gotta get back in the garage... lol))

I need it to One-Cycle the thread pickup and 3-4Cycle the sewing ending.
    *Assuming that you have motor feedback, it wouldn't be too hard to sew a stitch. However your will will have to pull up the bottom thread and move it out of the way. Generally the software has a small pause for this. In g-code, you would pause for a tool change etc..

And I need it to be easy for her to use. She is already collecting patterns to use when I am done building it, and has ~20'000 so far(!!)
    *This would be relative to her ability, but ideally everything should be as easy as possible. What format are the patterns in?

On a personal note...

Got all the wife's brackets made and the backlash sorted out today. She's back up and sewing on the new apqs machine. So I'm not feeling the pressure too bad at the moment. However, I would love to move her to a new software with some faster motors. Looking forward to Khalid's software.

Does anyone know a supplier for 14' sections of 80/20 aluminum extrusions? Ebay has a bunch of cutoffs, but I haven't found a site with prices.

Khalid, what version of dotnet and which vb runtimes? I got an error on running, that referenced a messing registry key.. Assuming that I'm missing on of your references. I have 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and 4.0 framework, probably missing the VB files.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just reread through the post to make sure that I remembered mach3 as being the cnc control software. And I believe that is still the case.

Khalid can correct me if I'm too far off.

lmlamb,

If you haven't find it already, your steps, acceleration and velocity should all be fixed. You'll need to do the math to find out your stepper motor resolution etc, to find out how many steps you need per unit of measurement that your running in. After that, you never touch those settings again. At least that is my understanding from my cnc mill.

You will need to actually adjust the gcode in the patterns. I'm working on a peice of software for my wife on that front. Writing it in c# so I guess I'll be bumping head's with Khalid's VB mother language has he put it. Unfortunately, I may have to change it to VBS to work with Mach3. I need to research that a little more. As I believe that you can use custom buttons to make calls to vbscripts. If that is the case, the gcode could be resized/rotated/skewed etc from inside mach.

Then you would adjust your feedrate through the code. i.e. 5 inches per minute etc...

N10G00X0.000Y0.000F5

I'm planning to devote a few brain cycles to this over the next week and see if I can come up with a "quilting" friendly interface for Mach.

Khalid, I'm assuming that you scrapped the idea of using the arduino. If not, I had a lot of heartache using the same product to attempt an build a stitch regulator. I used an Arduino with us digital quadratic encoders, which fed to PWM signal then to a n-channel mosfet. I was attempting to vary the duty cycle of the motor, so that it would slow down or speed up according to feed back from encoders. Unfortunately, it lacked responsiveness and the power at the low duty cycle would stall the machine. Before I ended up buying a new machine, my plan was to replace the motor with a servo and use a gecko fed by the arduino. I never got around to that, but I have reservations about the responsiveness. If the machine doesn't respond at the first sign of movement, the needle will drag in the cloth. An analog system might be a better approach, but I lack the core electronic skills. My thought was to use some type of timer. I.e. 555 timer, to send x number of steps to the gecko for every pulse of encoder. However, you have to monitor both axis encoders and figure how which one is faster etc...

Either way, when the machine is cnc controlled. You can make the machines speed to motor speed and end up with a happy median. If your wife ever manually controls the machine. i.e. free hand motion. You may want to revisit the stitch regulator.

Enough ramblings from me... going to bed... Zzz

Downloads
    Uploads

Supertechster,

Welcome to the Forum. Were happy to see a growing following. Your wife is going to even more happy when she sees you putting the automation together. My project is finished as far as the physical aspects are concerned, still sorting out some of the programming aspects, pattern files, etc. My email address is lmlamb@windmill-sbs.com. If you need any specific information that I can help with, don't hesitate to contact me. You are right about Khalid, he is brilliant isn't he? He's a real whiz when it comes to writing software. Looking forward to seeing your project on the forum. Best regards,

Larry
    W4LML 20mtrs

Downloads
    Uploads

Kevin,

You are right about the settings. I found that the happy median is at about 10K for the steps and 10 IPM for the accel. It appears that this is the speed that the machine likes the most. The patterns do affect the operation of the settings, I have to do the scaling thing on the patterns to get them down to an acceptable size. One thing, if the pattern is too big, it is difficult to scale down to a very small size. I have one that was originally 8 to 10 inches, that my wife wanted to fit into a 4 inch block. That really caused the machine to slow down badly. The remedy was to cull some of the nodes out of the pattern to increase the speed that way. It worked pretty well. I'm going to post some images today, since I have the day off. (boy is that a rare thing). So when you wake up there should be some new ones posted.

Larry
    W4LML 20mtrs

Downloads
    Uploads

Deviant... I will reply you shortly in details... My above software is a Gcode generator for EMBROIDERY DST files...This is not for Quilting purpose.. However soon i will add some source code for making Gcode for Quilters.. But again you have to design in some Embroidery software , export it into DST format import it into my software and Generate a Gcode..

You need Mach3/EMC or Kcam software to run your machine.. Just install the VB run time files and run my above program.. For run time files you can download it
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192461

I will be happy to help you.
    Regads

http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

Downloads
    Uploads

Khalid,

I get the same error that Deviant is getting, when trying to run your program.

I've installed the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192461 VB run time files, reboot, & still get the error.

Win XP.

Free DXF - vectorink.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

Hi, Khalid.
    This is a fascinating thread (no pun intended) I bumped onto.
    My wife saw a local quilting show recently and reported to have seen a quilting machine that looked a bit like yours. It triggered (in me) an interest in building a similar unit but leaning towards embroidery.

I have been promised a "retired" 1970's sewing machine from an aquaintance that I plan to experiment with some day. However, I first want to finish building my MDF CNC wood router that I started last year. ...slow go.

What I'm puzzled about is how a single sewing machine can do embroidery with one continous thread per colour. Won't the pattern contain miriads little threads that need to be cut? e.g. how do cross stitches look "clean" without all the little junction threads? (I'm assuming it makes one cross stitch before proceeding to the next.)

I'm trying to visualize the stitching mechanics of embroidery and imagined drawing the pattern (single colour) with a pencil but not lifting the pencil from the paper until the pattern is done. I think it would look messy, and require a lot of cleanup work. Is there a forum thread that explains how this rocedure might work?

I'm also interested in the embroidery software design of various stitch patterns and how it may be done in principle. I'm not looking for specific machine source code at this point, - only ideas of how it may be done.

Curious....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

All,
    Thanks for the invite.. and your commentary, advice and offers of assistance. I have 4 pictures of the Quilt Frame/Machine that I got her, and my thought was that 'Embroidery' is applicable because one could load or program in a simple repeating pattern, lock FWD/REV motion and repeat it the length of the quilt from LEFT/RIGHT, then advance the rollers - or Lock LEFT/RIGHT to 12-18" and simply embroider something in the 16" by 18" block.. then repeat either advancing the quilt on the rollers, or unlocking, moving and relocking another area.

Her frame has 'drag' adjustments and clockwork gears and pawls to lock the quilt in place, and each of the infeed rollers (Top/Bottom and Batting or Pad/foam) lock opposite in direction to the machine-side take-up roller which means I'd have to synchronize the roller steppers to maintain a degree of tension. If I manually flip all the infeed pawls to the unlocked position, I can easily turn the machine-side take-up roller by hand so I doubt it would take a very beefy motor... maybe one with a little gear or pulley driving a bigger one - or some other way it could be 'disengaged' to load and unload when the quilt is 1/2 way done.

The machine on the X-Y carriage is so easy to move, all it takes (with needle up) is a gentle push, and it will move the length of the quilt (like balls on a billiard table) The actual platform is made of 3/4" marine-grade plywood in 2 parts (14" x 24") and weighs 10-12lb, and the machine itself about 40-50lb more. I did not weigh it but can guess good. It is all adjusted and calibrated and I will only dismount if necessary. Anyway, I can easily fabricate mounts for or remake it to accomodate a step-motor and cable or feedscrew drive. I haven't actually opened her 'baby' up yet, but by just listening to it tells me the motor(s) are in the lower half, and probably uses belt drive to propel a bearing-mounted driverod and gearing in the top part. That might be good as I can measure the motor dimensions and find a suitable stepper to replace it with.

Handles on the front have a start-stop button, speed controller is a little box on top, and the rear handles are angled for the Pantograph/Laser work. I began searching the web for free or nearly free goodies, and found alot of stuff about sources, motors, drive-arrangements, electronics, interfacing and the like I can also share with you guys. The search term 'Robotics' will help anyone looking for light, dark, edge-sensing, trigger, sensor, audio, visual, drop-dead or similar circuitry for their projects. Interested?

Last edited by supertechster; 03-01-2010 at 12:02 PM. Reason: slight addition

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can someone tell me how to add pictures?

Last edited by supertechster; 03-01-2010 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Pics not working

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

2nd Try - Pictures of Longarm Machine and Frame as promised

Still not working - perhaps Quick Reply can't do Images? Will try POST next. Sry.

Last edited by supertechster; 03-01-2010 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Still no Pics in post

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool Pictures of Longarm machine and Frame as promised

3d try - Prob too big will Zip and Attach using paperclip function on top menu
    Nope.... Files are only 7Kb Jpeg and Zip won't work either. Now I'll try Manage Attachments button. No good either Upload of Zip Failed

<< Someone please delete these Pictures not loading posts. Thks.

Last edited by supertechster; 03-01-2010 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Pic uploads still not working - Zip either. PLs delete last 3

Downloads
    Uploads

supertechster,

I don't think cnczone is the problem.

I think it's the craigslist URL/link you are trying to hot-link to,

Example, your first image (dead link):
    http://images.craigslist.org/3ke3p93...4deced1464.jpg

Free DXF - vectorink.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Currently uploading the File onto Rapidshare...
    Procedure...

Step-1: Just Unpack "Gcode Generator.rar"
    Step-II: Now run SETUP.

This will install this program with all the dependency files... Once your this installation complete, I will post the revisions with only EXE file that you will replace in the Main folder..

Regards

Downloads
    Uploads

Following is the link to download
    http://rapidshare.com/files/35785873..._Generator.rar

Procedure...

Step-1: Download above file
    Step-II: Just Unpack "Gcode Generator.rar"
    Step-III: Now run SETUP.

Please feedback...

Downloads
    Uploads

Now just replace the executable in the main folder with this one and the save function is now working.

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

OOps.. Okay, after installing the program..START--->All Program--->Embroidery Gcode Generator--->Embroidery Gcode Generator

Check if this above is working..If not just open Program Files folder and replace the executable file with the executable i posted in post No 215..The above executable file has save function also..

Sorry for inconvenience...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Pictures of Longarm Machine and Quiltframe as promised

OK. The pics on my machine were cached website photos. I found the orig and have attached. Hope it worked this time
    DIY- CNC Embroidery Machine-longarm3-jpg

DIY- CNC Embroidery Machine-longarm4-jpg

DIY- CNC Embroidery Machine-longarm1-jpg

DIY- CNC Embroidery Machine-longarm2-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What brand is that machine?

Looks like you have a good start for a cnc'able quilting machine.

Based on your machines layout, I would expect that you will either have do something like the qcquilter sidemount or the quilting solutions sidesaddle.

Or you will have to make a new carriage for tha machine to ride on. If you build a new carriage to house the motors/controls. You will probably have to raise the bars by the new carraige height.

What is the total length of the bars that the quilts roll onto?

Appears to be a hobby quilter, that is now sold by nolting as the funquilter...

http://www.funquilter.com/

As above, looks like you might have gotten your wife a pretty decent deal and a good start at the cnc project

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Type of machine - Length of frame

It is a 'Nolting Hobby Quilter' and the frame is currently 10' (120") long.

I plan to remake the platform to accomodate the mechanicals which will probably be a single Step motor mounted on the Main table that goes side to side with either feedscrew or piano wire connection to drive the table the machine is mounted on, and another stepper motor mounted on one end of the frame which would pull/push the entire carriage with mounted machine from end-to-end using vinyl-covered wire and a tensioning pully on the other frame end. I also want to add Single-cycle function to the needle, motors to the rollers for quilt advancement and stitch regulation and auto speed control. A PC mouse offers rotary encoders cheap - I just have to figure out how and where to mount them... and how to connect, sample and utilize their outputs ;-)

I'll take some closeup pics of the whole thing for u guys. As always, your help is appreciated - Its a dream she's had for ~5 yrs now.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Update for Nolting Longarm Quilt machine

I took a chance this AM and took off some covers of her machine to see what, if any modifications, additions or changes I'd have to make to add the auto variable-speed, stitch regulation and single/multi stroke options. The front right side plate revealed the needle drive mechanism which is comprised of some levers and ball-socket connectors to rotary wheels to produce the up-down motion, It will be easy to hot glue a magnet inside the tube, with a bit sticking out, and a reed switch or Hall-effect transistor to sense its position and enable or disable further operation as required by the current function. Start would cycle only once to pick up the bobbin thread, color change would cycle 2x with a pause in between, and end of stitch would cycle 4-6x to anchor the end.

The main (and only) drive motor is surprisingly a 90v DC one. It may not be necessary to replace it with a stepper, but if I need to I can. 90v DC means we can use CNC Mach functions to vary the voltage to the motor from 0 to 90v based on the speed of lateral motion which as I said in an earlier post 'could' be gleaned by the outputs of the rotary encoders.

Instead of remaking the X-Y platform, I may just mount a motor underneath it, which will drive the FWD/REV motion of the carriage. I have ~12 stepping motors, from 1.2 to 24v various power, step and physical sizes to choose from.

Pictures here: http://img651.imageshack.us/g/entireneedleheadassy.png/
    Thanks!

Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast