My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log

Page 1 of 34 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log

Default My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log

Ok, so far I have sourced the V-Groove bearings and rails, and the Ball Screws!

This design is going to be built around a 24" x24" T-Slot plate. (The biggest I can make in my little shop)

Here are some snapshots of the basic CAD design I have chosen for the base slide assembly.
    The T-slot plate will be 1/2" thick MIC-6 with 1/4" T-Slots spaced every 3".
    The V-Rails will be supported by the "L" shaped tracks which will be machined from solid 6061 aluminum.
    The L-track will also be used as the machines mounting feet.
    The base slide will also be 6061, and have 4 V-Groove bearings on each end.
    This Router will have mounting holes for NEMA-34 motors too!

The metal materials will be purchased from Speedy Metals in Wisconsin, the V-Tracks and bearings will come from McMaster Carr, and the Ball Screw will come from HOMESHOPCNC

Cost per one MIC-6 plate: $171.80
    Cost per one Ball Nut: $95.00
    Cost per one Ball Screw: $49.14
    Cost per two V-Roller assemblies: $102.98 ea
    Cost per two Double-V rails: $45.04 ea

The pre assembled V-Track units will be dismantled from the little rectangular plate, and custom fitted to the ends of the slide block. These units use a Double-V rail & .593" OD bearings, which allows me to make things a little more compact, thus reducing material costs.

I plan on building only one of these as a prototype, and will most likely make many changes along the way! One of the features I likes about the Ball Screw Nut was that it has an OIL hole! So this router will have small tubing and oil passages throughout! The other features is the 4-ball tracks and has rubber seals on the screws to keep oil in and dirt out, plus its preloaded!

This is looking like a fun (and expensive) project! Better mortgage your house ClaudioG
    To be continued!
    Widgit

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-newv-routerbase-jpg   My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-newv-routerbase2-jpg   My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-newv-routerbase3-jpg   My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-ballscrew-jpg  

My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-v-tracks-jpg  

Because this router will be using NEMA-34 motors and Ball Screws, I have decided to pre-load the end bearing furthest from the motor.
    So now I need to shop around for some double row ball bearings, and design a nice end cap. Also, I may have to make the front & rear plates out of Low-Carbon steel for extra strength!

Widgit

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-newv-routerbase4-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

should be a great new design widgitmaster,take lotsa pics like all your other builds you have done,lookin foward to it

"witty comment"

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looking forward to this build. With nema 34's and ball screws, this baby should be a screamer.

Jason

Man am I shaking, we had a Tornado touchdown less than 35 miles from my home!

Here is the current expense report, I hope my home and shop stay put long enough to finish this project

This is a lot of scratch to lay out for only one axis !

Widgit

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-expensereport-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tornados

Yikes! I went through a small one in Minnesota. It plucked a 2 foot diameter oak tree out by the roots, about 20 feet from the house. Pretty scarey! Good thing you have all those heavy machine tools to hide under...
    Jim

No matter where ya go, there is always something! I'd like to move to Australia, but with my luck I'd get bit on the ass by a poison frog!

I have spent a little more time in CAD, fine tuning the assembly details. One nice thing I have noticed is that if I make room for a NEMA-34 motor, then there is also room for the NEMA-23 motor mounting holes! So this router will take either motor size

Because of the size of this thing, I have decided to use dowel pins on all mating parts, to ensure it retains a little of it's squareness & flatness. So I guess that calls for some adjustable leveling feet to keep it level too!

I can't wait for the materials and parts to arrive, so I can get started!

Widgit

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-newv-routerbase5-jpg  
    Last edited by widgitmaster; 02-13-2008 at 02:22 PM. Reason: typo

Downloads
    Uploads

One of these days you're gonna have to build a few machines to assit you in building more machines...

Nathan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was wondering what you were doing to keep yourself busy these days Widgit.

After getting your Wide router, I promissed myself I wouldn't buy another CNC machine for a while. Well it's been at least 2 weeks, so I guess that's a while

I wish you hadn't started this thread!

Looks like it will be a lot of fun for you. A little different to building about 30 minis, 50 midis and 3 wides (correct my numbers please).

Hope you enjoy it as much as we will.

Cheers,

Claudio

- WidgitMaster Wide Router with Kress FME 800, HobbyCNC 305oz Stepper Kit
    - WidgitMaster Midi Router with Dremel

Default V-Router Specifications

Maximum capacity:
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Frame material: Aluminum
    T-Slot Top Plate Material: MIC-6 Polished Cast Aluminum
    y-Axis Travel: 20.0625"
    x-Axis Travel: 19.000"
    Z-Axis Travel: 9.000"
    Distance under gantry: 12.000"
    Distance between Gantry Supports: 24.062"
    Motor Type: NEMA34 & NEMA23
    Screw Type: Ball Screw
    Nut Type: Preloaded Nuts
    Sliding Mechanism: V-Groove Tracks & Bearings
    Spindle Mounts: Kress, Proxxon, Dremel
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Another day of CAD, and I have solved a few problems with the Y-Axis! In order to support the V-tracks without having to use a massively heavy back plate, one that would make the machine too top heavy! The solution was found in a simple thick wall hollow aluminum tube! The tube will have a track milled into the exterior so the tracks can be mounted to them, and the ends of the tubes will be inserted into shallow counter-bored pockets on either end! This will eliminate any movement, and increase rigidity!

The tubing comes standard with a 2" OD and a 1/4" thick wall. and they will also be fastened to the side plates with dowel pins and #10 SHCS.

This router has a full 12" under the gantry, and a Z-axis travel of 9"
    To support this, I have increased the side plate thickness from 1/2" to 5/8".

If I'm not mistaken, this machine will be strong enough for a 1/2" Dewalt router, not to mention the Kress motors!

Oh yea, I placed the Z-Axis T-slot plate in line with the back edge of the top-plate, allowing the spindle full access to the top plate's area!

Widgit

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-newv-routerside1-jpg   My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-newv-routerside2-jpg  
    Last edited by widgitmaster; 02-14-2008 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Added text

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by widgitmaster View Post
    No matter where ya go, there is always something! I'd like to move to Australia, but with my luck I'd get bit on the ass by a poison frog!

Widgit
    That's exactly what happened to me when I arrived in Australia and I am convinced that is why I am now obsessed with CNC

Andy

Drat, imperfection has finally stopped working!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Another awesome Widgit design taking shape. This will be fun!

Best,

BW

Quote Originally Posted by BobWarfield View Post
    Another awesome Widgit design taking shape. This will be fun!

Best,

BW
    Thanks Bob,
    Glad to see your out of the office and back in the Zone !
    I'm anxiously waiting for materials, as I have burned out from doing production!
    Life's no fun without Prototypes!!

Eric

www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

Good news!

UPS dropped of the materials for this NEW 24x24 V-Router, so I'll be working on those parts this weekend!

Widgit

The materials are here, and the milling has started! So far, I have squared up the block for the X-Axis slide block, and the two "L" shaped rail supports. To do this I had to put two 6" Kurt vises on the mill, and center them under the mills travel limits.

Next, I'll put on some soft jaws and remove massive amounts of aluminum to create the "L" shape in the two rail supports. The X-Axis slide block will need to be milled with the vise turned 90°

The 24x24 top plate has arrived, along with the two Ball Screw & Nut sets. The Double-V tracks and slide assemblies have also arrived. Oh yea, the Front & Rear plates too!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-100_2825-jpg   My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-100_2827-jpg   My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-100_2828-jpg   My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-100_2829-jpg  

My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-100_2830-jpg   My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-100_2831-jpg   My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-100_2832-jpg   My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-100_2833-jpg  

A busy day in the shop!
    So far I have milled out the bulk of material creating the "L", leaving .025" for cleanup. Then I milled the top section of the track using a standard end mill, but removing the material under the track is a bit tricky!
    To do this, I used a Woodruff Key cutter. But first I needed to thin down the shank in my surface grinder, using a simple spin jig and a 5C collet.
    After all the long milling cuts were done, I milled one end of each.
    I plan on milling them to finished length later on.

It was fun watching the chips pile up. as I started with an empty bucket which filled to the rim! The pile was a foot high! I figured I have at least a barrel of chips from this project!

When the Double-V Rails are fastened to this support, they will be as solid as a rock!

Total shop time: 6hr
    Widgit

VIDEO (7.6 MB)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-100_2842-jpg   My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-100_2843-jpg   My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-100_2844-jpg   My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-100_2845-jpg  

My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-100_2846-jpg   My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-100_2847-jpg   My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-100_2848-jpg   My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-100_2849-jpg  

My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-100_2850-jpg   My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-100_2851-jpg   My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-100_2852-jpg   My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-100_2853-jpg  

My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-100_2854-jpg   My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-100_2855-jpg  
    Last edited by widgitmaster; 02-23-2008 at 04:14 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looking good Widgit.

What do you do with all those chips??

Cheers,

Claudio

- WidgitMaster Wide Router with Kress FME 800, HobbyCNC 305oz Stepper Kit
    - WidgitMaster Midi Router with Dremel

While standing in front of my mill dodging hot chips, I counted how many seconds it took for the end mill to go from one end to the other! Here is what I came up with (hope my math is OK)

My mill has an el-chepo power feed ASONG AS-250, 150 oz/in torque.

With maximum feed:
    41 sec => 23"
    23/41=.560976 sec/inch x 60 = 33.6585 (33.7 Inches Per Minute)

Widgit

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudioG View Post
    Looking good Widgit.

What do you do with all those chips??

Cheers,

Claudio
    I sell them to the scrap man, and buy new endmills!

www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like your big flycutter got snuck in there to make it purty too, no?

BTW, someone was saying over on PM that a PCD insert on a big fly cutter makes the nicest aluminum finish if you care about the cosmetics. Normally, they are stupid expensive, but I found a few for cheap on eBay and plan to try it out.

Best,

BW

Page 1 of 34 123411 ... LastLast