New Machine Build Profile 8 Alu CNC Advice

Thread: Profile 8 Alu CNC Advice

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Profile 8 Alu CNC Advice

Hi,

I'm working on a new CNC since a few months. Is it possible to take a look at my new design? All suggestions are welcome

It should have a final size of 1600x1100. I use profile 8, Hiwin hgr20, 800w water cooled spindle, 4X nema 23 KL23H2100-35-4B with a Gecko G540, 48v PSU, LinuxCNC.
    The machine should be able to cut wood and alu. The machine have to be strong and reliable.

• Is there an specific place where the spindle is mounted in order to optimise the distribution of forces. Should the spindle be in the middle of the Y rail?
    • Is 12mm thick aluminum 6061 enough for the plates?

Thanks for your help

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Profile 8 Alu CNC Advice-cnc-v21-recovered-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Profile 8 Alu CNC Advice

Is there an specific place where the spindle is mounted in order to optimise the distribution of forces. Should the spindle be in the middle of the Y rail?
    With the Hiwin's, it doesn't really matter that much.
    You might want to make the side plates a little wider, to increase the bearing spacing a bit more.

The thicker the plates, the better. Maybe 15-20mm?

And I'd get a 2.2Kw-3Kw spindle. The 800w is too small imo.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your answer.

I will make the changes.
    I was looking for someone that can waterjet cut 20mm aluminium plates, but it's pretty rare (and not cheap!)
    Do you have maybe any recommendation ? Or maybe is it better to use another method?

Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BriceO View Post
    Thanks for your answer.

I will make the changes.
    I was looking for someone that can waterjet cut 20mm aluminium plates, but it's pretty rare (and not cheap!)
    Do you have maybe any recommendation ? Or maybe is it better to use another method?

Thanks.
    I had some 1 inch aluminum plates waterjet cut for my first build. It was expensive, and the quality was absolute garbage. The cuts were not square. I had to rework them on my mini mill to make them square and proper.

Find someone with a machine in your area who does this as a hobby and can help you. Perhaps someone with a smaller machine can make the plates and in return you can make a larger wood carving for him.

Do you have access to a mill?

There's always the angle grinder and drill press method.

Downloads
    Uploads

A consideration for where the spindle is in relation to the bearing blocks would be work envelope. If the spindle center is past the constraints of the bearing blocks, you'll lose work travel over the table, though it could allow machining past the table. The ideal location of the spindle has more to do with having the CG of the entire gantry assembly fall between the two bearing blocks, as to evenly "load" them.

Waterjet cutting is not cheap. It may be more economical to have them machined, as well as more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by NIC 77
    I had some 1 inch aluminum plates waterjet cut for my first build. It was expensive, and the quality was absolute garbage. The cuts were not square. I had to rework them on my mini mill to make them square and proper.
    Some alloys will waterjet better than others. The nature of the process causes the kerf to have a draft, as the abrasive media is "blasted back" by the material itself before cutting through. Higher end waterjets have a 2-axis head, which allows for compensation, producing a square cut.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BriceO View Post
    Thanks for your answer.

I will make the changes.

Thanks.
    Aluminum can be cut with a plasma cutter. A machine shop or welding fabricator may have a plasma cutter where a waterjet would be uncommon. If they are uncomfortable cutting aluminum on a CNC plasma cutter, maybe you could change your design and make the plates out of steel?? Your part would be stronger than aluminum and may cost less when the cost of waterjetting an aluminum part is factored in.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 1Jumper10 View Post
    Aluminum can be cut with a plasma cutter. A machine shop or welding fabricator may have a plasma cutter where a waterjet would be uncommon. If they are uncomfortable cutting aluminum on a CNC plasma cutter, maybe you could change your design and make the plates out of steel?? Your part would be stronger than aluminum and may cost less when the cost of waterjetting an aluminum part is factored in.
    Plasma presents similar problems to waterjet as far as the slight draft or angle at the cut edge. Though, with steel, the part could be made a little thinner.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have received an estimation today for Aluminium 6082 T6 : 200Frs(184 Euro) / plate.
    is it a good price? It seems too expensive.