New Machine Build 1st DIY Router

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st DIY Router

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 1st DIY Router

Well, I have made threads about possible builds, but never followed through. Not this time I have my steel ordered, I have a welder friend to assist with the build. Router frame to be fabricated from 2" , 1/4 wall, steel tubing. Heavy wall I figured better for any drilling & tapping. , 1/8 wall. I currently have 25mm round rail & bearings, free, though I may purchase 20mm profiled linear guides, The working envelope will be 50 x 50 inches, I wanted to have no issues with a 48" board. I have nema34 steppers, free also, I located a data sheet on them, but I do not recall the specs, They originally came on a Vortech CNC. The gantry beam will be 3060 extrusion, with 3/4" 6061 aluminum uprights & bearing mounts. Building to get between 6 & 8 " of gantry clearance, my design is not final. I have not yet purchased a BOB, but I plan on using UCCNC as a motion controller. I have enough steppers & drive to build a rotary axis also. I also have a base designed, though in my pics it is rendered as 4x4 lumber, I will likely build from 4x4 steel tubing as I may use this on the road with my job. Which frame version do you guys think I should go with from my pics,

Fusion360 Models of the pics are located here
    Pic 1 - A360
    Pic 2 - A360
    Pic 3 - A360

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1st DIY Router-cnc-base-1-jpg   1st DIY Router-cnc-base-2-jpg   1st DIY Router-cnc-base-3-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 1st DIY Router

Definitely recommend using with profile linear guides. They are just sooooooooo much better than round rails. Find another use for the round rails.

Don't go with frame #2 - you want maximal support all along the edges of the frame.
    You probably don't need support in the middle of the table. It won't see much weight.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the comments Pippin. I have been looking at Automation Overstock & they have good prices. I will continue my build with the round rail, but design in the upgrade to the profile rails, so it will essentially be quick turn around once I have the funds. Though I have some R&P, i will probably purchase some helical R&P from them on the front end. Just gonna keep on keeping on. :-)

Downloads
    Uploads

I recommend not using 2" tubing. It will suffer far more from weld distortion. There is a scrap yard near me that sells 6x6x0.25" square tubes for 30 cents a pound. I bet there's one near you too somewhere. Way better to use 5 pieces of that (2 that your rails sit on, and 3 below the table, could also use 4x4 for those 3) then to make an intricate structure from 2" tubing. Plus the bigger tube will give you an offset from your table.

At this stage that's probably a pain to hear, but it's the best advice that I have to offer. It comes from personal experience learned the hard way.

you could make the underneath structure from wood as you have shown. If you use steel, it doesn't need to be so intricate underneath. And the table from wood, I'd say 3/4 ply with an understructure of 2x4's in between where the steel cross supports go, and a 3/4 mdf spoiler board on top.

But I would move the wheels from the corners, because you'll want the corners to sit on wood blocks when you're using the machine and you'll have to fit a jack under there to put the blocks in and level it before use. Or adjustable pucks, however you like.

You can also bolt the bigger tubes together which would give you some adjustability and allow you to add some steel or epoxy shimming if you find out later that you are a bit off between your sides, but welding should also be fine provided that you are very careful and will never need to move this thing into a basement at some point in the future.

But that's just what I'd do. I'm guessing you can make what you have designed work for you in the end (even if it is the hard way to do it). Good luck on your build.

Downloads
    Uploads

At one point, I had considered using 3 x 6 for the sides of the frame. maybe I will revisit. All of the 2" tubing is bought & paid for already. Thanks NIC.

Downloads
    Uploads

Another thing is that if you make a welded structure, how will you drill your holes for your rails and rack and pinion? You'd have to drill them all first, unless you have some equipment that will allow you to drill on that big welded piece both on the top and the sides. Certainly you wouldn't drill all of those holes with a hand drill?

And then you weld it and the tube distorts, and now it's full of holes and you're standing there trying to figure out how to level it with epoxy and not have it leak through the holes?

As long as you've thought through how you will make everything square and flat, and drill all your holes, that's what's important. I'm not saying you haven't, I'm just playing devil's advocate, but I hope it's in a helpful way.

Of course, if that happens you'll figure something out and make it work. It just might not be the easiest way, but you'll get there in the end.

I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of your build. .

Downloads
    Uploads

I've never seen anyone drill any holes before welding.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I've never seen anyone drill any holes before welding.
    Perhaps I'm displaying my ignorance here. I was thinking of what I would do if I were building this design. If you had a drill press that you could adjust the height up and down on that was light enough to move easily I could hypothetically see using that to drill the holes in the top surface after welding, but unless you had one of those drill presses that you could clamp to the welded frame, which I'm guessing not alot of people have, how would you go about drilling the holes in the sides of the top pieces for the gear rack after it is welded?

I can just imagine trying to maneuver that whole welded assembly to drill holes on the sides with my mini mill (the mill top would be propped up near the ceiling, and I've have to accurately position that big heavy thing for each hole), but perhaps there is another way?

That's the thing, I've found sometimes I make a post to try and help someone, and even though sometimes I look stupid, at the end of the day I learn things that can help me with what I'm doing. So I am not offended at all to be corrected if there is a better way. To the contrary, please elaborate!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by NIC 77 View Post
    Perhaps I'm displaying my ignorance here. I was thinking of what I would do if I were building this design. If you had a drill press that you could adjust the height up and down on that was light enough to move easily I could hypothetically see using that to drill the holes in the top surface after welding, but unless you had one of those drill presses that you could clamp to the welded frame, which I'm guessing not alot of people have, how would you go about drilling the holes in the sides of the top pieces for the gear rack after it is welded?

I can just imagine trying to maneuver that whole welded assembly to drill holes on the sides with my mini mill (the mill top would be propped up near the ceiling, and I've have to accurately position that big heavy thing for each hole), but perhaps there is another way?

That's the thing, I've found sometimes I make a post to try and help someone, and even though sometimes I look stupid, at the end of the day I learn things that can help me with what I'm doing. So I am not offended at all to be corrected if there is a better way. To the contrary, please elaborate!
    I know I would pre drill the steel prior to assembly. Maybe it would end up back firing on me , but I thought it just made sense , seeing as I could put it on my drill press .

Looking forward to seeing this build as it progresses. One of my favourite subjects

I don't actually know anything about CNC router tables , but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Downloads
    Uploads

All I'm saying is that I've never seen anyone drill their holes before assembly.
    Consider that every hole for your linear rails has to be accurately located to better than 0.5mm.
    How do you drill the rails, then weld it together, maintaining better than 0.5mm tolerances.
    I think a lot of people hand drill, or use some kind of drilling jig?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

All I'm saying is that I've never seen anyone drill their holes before assembly.
    Consider that every hole for your linear rails has to be accurately located to better than 0.5mm.
    How do you drill the rails, then weld it together, maintaining better than 0.5mm tolerances.
    Gotcha. Earlier I had the jig idea in mind if it came down to it

I don't actually know anything about CNC router tables , but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a a small drill press I was thinking of attaching it to the frame, utilizing spacing blocks to index it for each hole. I never considered drilling the holes pre-fab. Also, I may borrow the magnetic base drill from work. So I have options. Thanks for all of the input.

Downloads
    Uploads

You already have a jig. The rails are a jig. I clamped my rails down, made sure they were where I wanted them, and drilled little divits with a hand drill using the rail it's self as a guide with a larger bit. Then I put the piece on my mini mill and drilled with the bit for tapping in the center of the divit I had already made.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nic, I am aware that I can use the rail as a jig. Thanks again for the input.

Downloads
    Uploads

I imported some pieces from an old design into Fusion. I willprobable use CNCRP Pro r&P drives. The front is being left open for larger stuff & a possible rotary axis.

Fusion Model - A360

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1st DIY Router-cnc-router-design-jpg  

Looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by ynnek View Post
    I imported some pieces from an old design into Fusion. I willprobable use CNCRP Pro r&P drives. The front is being left open for larger stuff & a possible rotary axis.

Fusion Model - A360

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fretman_2 View Post
    Looks great!
    Thanks fretman. I hope to pick up the steel next week. Though I am still designing, I may delay my assembly, to purchase rails and guides from Automation Overstock. Along with the helical r&p. In the meantime, I will get my electronics going. I looking for recomedations controls.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

This is who I was thinking of , 1Jumper10. To me it looks as though he's tapping holes and installing the rail and gear rack prior to assembling . I thought it would be much easier at this point than after its installed etc . At least this is the way I would do it

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1st DIY Router-img_0465-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

But he's not welding anything after the holes are drilled and tapped. If your bolting together, then yes, you'd want to drill and tap before assembly.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

But he's not welding anything after the holes are drilled and tapped. If your bolting together, then yes, you'd want to drill and tap before assembly.
    I thought that may be where you were going . I didn't know for sure if this going to be welded at some point . Liking the idea of not welding personally

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast