Build Thread Last One - 4'x6' Steel, Epoxy and ClearPath servo's - Page 21

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Last One - 4'x6' Steel, Epoxy and ClearPath servo's

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Last One - 4'x6' Steel, Epoxy and ClearPath servo's

55 inches per sec^2? That's about 0.14 G. I'm thinking that's probably around what I'll use for my machine too, but with a top speed on all axis of around 300 IPM. My working area will be quite a bit smaller.

The snow melted, finally got those leaves raked. It's nice out today.

Downloads
    Uploads

Been working on the plumbing for the vacuum table. 6 zones with the valves at the back of table. Now it's on to plumbing up a manifold. That will be made from 2" PVC, the individual runs are 1,1/2".

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

What are you using for pumps?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Twin 10hp liquid ring vac pumps

No, I'm undecided at the moment. I'll try a shop vac first but I'm thinking of two central vac blower motors in series as a possibility. Got any suggestions?

Downloads
    Uploads

Finished up the manifold. Glad to put away the PVC solvent/glue for awhile. I did a quick test with the shop vac and a full size sheet of 1/2" PVC board. I pushed on an overhanging edge as hard as I could trying to slide it and it wouldn't budge. I wasn't to surprised, just happy to have successfully tested a theory. Small parts with less surface area will be the true test. Nevertheless it was pretty cool. If I continue to use Dad's shop vac it will probably kill it before too long. I guess shop vacs use the airflow to cool the motor and theoretically it will be operating with almost none. So I'm still looking for a more permanent solution for vacuum. But maybe I don't need twin liquid ring Dekker vac pumps. Last One - 4'x6' Steel, Epoxy and ClearPath servo's

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice work you did on the setup.

I don't have any good advice to share about the vacuum system.

I tried to find a hilarious video involving a leaf vacuum truck but failed there too.

Again, well done!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks NIC. Stay warm up there!

Downloads
    Uploads

Chris, how did you bore out the pinions? Did you have a machine shop do it?
    I'm thinking of changing my design to use the same R&P, to simplify things.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Chris, how did you bore out the pinions? Did you have a machine shop do it?
    I'm thinking of changing my design to use the same R&P, to simplify things.
    Yes, the machine shop did it. And I also had them broach them for a keyway which was a mistake. I've since found out that keyways can introduce some off center error. If I did it over I would just have them bored out to shaft diameter and threaded for a set screw. Then use Loctite 638 retaining compound. You'll strip the teeth off the pinion before it breaks loose from the shaft. But a little heat from a hot air gun will let you remove it if necessary.

Not going to use a belt drive on the Z2?

Downloads
    Uploads

I think I'm just going to take the simple route.
    I had originally designed the belt drive to use a stepper. With the AC servos, I need to add a gearbox, but still use a belt because the motor is facing the wrong way.
    By going R&P, I can just mount the motor vertically, and greatly simply the entire Y carriage. Even though most of the parts are already cut.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

Simple is good. (I was thinking about naming my machine Occam's Razor )
    I threw away the first gantry beam I made. Partly due to a welding error but also partly due to a design change.

Downloads
    Uploads

Some vacuum motors use a separate air intake for cooling (I bought a Fein for this reason) but most rely on the air coming through the vac hose.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    Some vacuum motors use a separate air intake for cooling (I bought a Fein for this reason) but most rely on the air coming through the vac hose.
    That's what I've heard. I haven't looked into it but I was wondering how hard it would be to rig up some sort of external cooler to cool the vac motor? That might make a shop vac a feasible solution. I've also been browsing eBay for rotary vane pumps, regenerative blowers, and vacuum pumps. I can't go for huge horsepower, the electric capacity can't support more than about a 5hp motor. Plus I don't need it. Re gen blowers don't seem to pull deep enough vacuum, rotary vane pumps probably don't flow enough. Still looking...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It's a bit ghetto, but you could DIY it, using whatever conventional motors you could find cheap. The Woodgears fellow has done a couple of homebuilt impellers that seem to work well, and you've certainly got the chops to make one. That would eliminate the need to worry much about cooling. Here's one of his builds. Building a dust collector blower

Great build, btw. I'm envious.

Luke

"All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Spindle control with step - direction pulse stream

Hello @all,
    I just changed recently my system from the Triplebeast (Benezan Eletronics) to the UB1 running with UCCNC. I have also a Hitachi WJ200 and so I was very pleased to read that there is a "simple way" to get the spindle working with step & direction signals from
    spindle mode in UCCNC. But the problem is that I'm a beginner and not very familiar with setting up the VFD (with the TripleBeast the spindle was operated via analog signal (0-10 V DC)).
    Could you please explain a little bit how to connect the VFD's EA terminal to the UB1 (MB2).
    Regards,
    Martin

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: connect a Hitachi WJ200 to the UB1/UCCNC with step/dir signal

Quote Originally Posted by 1Jumper10 View Post
    ...He also pointed out that the Hitachi could use Y301 for the pulse stream instead of one of the axis outputs. Just assign it as the output for the Step/direction Spindle set up in UCCNC as the motor spindle step signal. Anyway, he's been very helpful and here's the diagram he sent me.
    Hi 1Jumper10,

at first I would like to thank you for the great building report! I became aware, because I also own a WJ200 and changed recently my sytem to UB1 with UCCNC. The topic is new for me (I'm not an electronic technician) and therefore I have a couple of questions:
    - what is the advantage of the Y301 for the pulse stream instead of one of the axis outputs?
    - X210 (NPN input) is connected together with Y301 - why not 24V dc directly?
    - what is the purpose of the 5.6 kOhm (5% tol.) resistance from P24 to EA shown in your picture but not in the wiring diagramm?
    - I do not have to set the WJ200 in the MODBUS mode (interface SN&SP is unused in your picture)?
    Thanks for the explanation and best regards,
    Martin

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 1Jumper10 View Post
    ...it will work that way but it is complicated. ... I might leave it that way but Weerasak sent me a diagram of how to do it. He also pointed out that the Hitachi could use Y301 for the pulse stream instead of one of the axis outputs. Just assign it as the output for the Step/direction Spindle set up in UCCNC as the motor spindle step signal. Anyway, he's been very helpful and here's the diagram he sent me.
    I'm also currently wiring my new UB1 I'm and looking for info how to connect my Hitachi WJ200 using step/dir signals. I saw a difference between your wiring diagramm and your photo in #367:
    what is the purpose of the 5.6 kOhm resitor connecting EA & P24?

Regards,
    Martin

Downloads
    Uploads

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/fineli...m-posts-6.html

In the linked thread, post #110 shows the correct diagram. I pasted it below. Dont use the dashed line that shows a connection to X210. Use a 1-3k-ohm, 1/2watt resistor connected as shown at the VFD. According to Weerasak at CNCroom, the resistor pulls up the signal to positive value that can be read by the VFD. Its been working great for me. The Jumper wire on the VFD between terminals PLC and P24 is not used and has to be removed.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

wow this is an awesome build, congrats on getting it all done in a reasonable amount of time too. I am building my own machine atm and am now considering using a z axis assembly similar to what you used. I have a question, could you tell me who the machine shop is that did your machine work to level the gantry and I-beams? I am in the NYC area and have been looking for someone who can handle larger stuff in one pass like this and who is also reasonable, and your guy looks to be perfect for something like this. thank you

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by turbocad6 View Post
    wow this is an awesome build, congrats on getting it all done in a reasonable amount of time too. I am building my own machine atm and am now considering using a z axis assembly similar to what you used. I have a question, could you tell me who the machine shop is that did your machine work to level the gantry and I-beams? I am in the NYC area and have been looking for someone who can handle larger stuff in one pass like this and who is also reasonable, and your guy looks to be perfect for something like this. thank you
    The machine shop is one of about probably a half dozen or so in my local area with a machine big enough to fixture an 8ft I beam. There's lots of shops like them due to the auto industry in my area of Michigan. In that regard I was lucky. It's part of the reason for the way I built it, I took advantage of what was available. If you want the name of the shop send me a PM. But being from NYC, I can't understand how it would be cost effective to ship the parts here to MI to have them machined? Nevertheless, I'll get you their info if you want it.

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11181920212223 LastLast