New Machine Build Second build - Baltic Birch Frame - Page 3

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Second build - Baltic Birch Frame

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Second build - Baltic Birch Frame

This is looking great! You're making good progress. Would you mind sharing which stepper motors you are using and where you sourced them? I had used 4 of the same motors to make it easier for a first design, but I may test out some smaller motors for my Z axis and perhaps for the long axis as well, since there are two motors on that axis. I like that yours have only 1.6 mH inductance and they are very compact compared to mine.

Jeremy
    http://www.diycncdesign.com/

Downloads
    Uploads

The motor on the pictures id a 195oz with 2.5mH. Its lenght is 55mm. Model: JK57H56-2804-01. This will be my Z stepper

The three 1.6mH I have are model 57BYGH633 and have a lenght of 75 mm. These are 270oz stepper 6 wires. In order to hace 1.6 mH I wired them using only half the coils so they are in fact around 180oz. To have the full 270oz I would jave to wire them full coil which would give an inductance of 3 or 4, I don't really remember. With a 24v ps it made more sense to use half coil.

Not certain how I will wire them on the new machine. Maybe the X will be half coil using a 40v PS with TB6600 and the Y will be full using a bigger PS and my AM882 drive

Hope that help

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice looking build. Since you built this almost entirely from Baltic Birch with multiple layers the amount of wood movement should be minimal. It is important that you have coated all exposed wood surfaces, which it appears you have done, especially since you have this in your garage. Love the fact you have your daughter engaged in the build, that is just AWESOME.

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

My "shop" is in my basement which have temp and humidity control but I wanted to make the machine as stable as I could so all wood surface have been coated with two coat of epoxy then I applied two coats of epoxy paint.

Yeah my daughter seems to like it very much. She helped where she could like sanding edges of parts, putting glue on laminated parts, assembling small things.

The other day I heard what seemed like my CNC doing a dry run; it was her and my other daughter that "built" a CNC using Lego and they were imitating the sound of stepper motors. Not the kind of game any 5 and 7 years old girls are usually doing. LOL.

Downloads
    Uploads

The basement is much better, that is where my little machine is as well. My bigger 5x5 machine is in the garage. I installed a gas heater that I keep set at 50F year round, but there is way more humidity in the garage than the basement. That machine is all heavy steel and a aluminum gantry so it seems to be handling the environment. I did forget to recoat all the linear slides with grease at the start of winter and I had rust on many parts so had to clean all that off and grease things up again. Much better in the basement, but the machine is too big to fit and you can't tear it apart as it is all welded. That is really funny your daughters imitating the stepper motors sounds. Keep them involved, they will never forget these times.

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

A couple more steps were done yesterday.

I installed the X axis ballscrews. I had a 5.5mm gap between the gantry uprights and the ballnut housing and wondered why...

I double checked my Solidworks model only to see that I forgot to model the epoxy I used to flatten the bottom of the gantry uprights.

Guess what, the epoxy had 5.3mm! Not happy that I forgot something as obvious as this but was really happy be so close to my 3D model with such a crappy CNC to machine the uprights! I machined 5.5mm spacers fill this space and bolted the uprights to the ballnut housing.

I now proceeded to adjust the spindle plate for the Z axis.

I was planning to use my good old Makita router but found a 11amp Maximum router with a 1/4 and 1/2 collets on sale so I will have a bigger router on this CNC. The 100$CAD and the 5 years waranty helped my choice. As a bonus, the Maximum router seems to share the same collets as the Bosch 1617 so I will have plenty of options, but the 1/4 and 1/2 collets should cover 99% of my needs.

I had to redesign a spindle holder with a diameter of 3.5in instead of the 65mm I initially planned for the Makita.

To attach the holder to the spindle plate I epoxied M6 threaded inserts. To attach both holder pieces I used barrel nuts.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Second build - Baltic Birch Frame-img_7673-jpg   Second build - Baltic Birch Frame-img_7678-jpg   Second build - Baltic Birch Frame-img_7672-jpg  

That looks about as sturdy as you can be for a wood machine! Great job!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

I installed the 12mm rails for the Z axis. Took more than two hours to make the rails parallels with each other, square the rail plate with the Y axis and finally square it with the X axis.
    Second build - Baltic Birch Frame-img_7690-jpg

Next step was to install the spindle plate, the T8 leadscrew and align the stepper with it.
    Second build - Baltic Birch Frame-img_7691-jpg

With the preloaded nut the T8 nut doesn't have backlash but the small pillow blocks seems to bend when more than 30 pound of axial pressure is applied on the leadscrew.

I estimate it at around 0.020-0.030 at 30 pounds and the more pressure I apply, the more it bend. I'm going to measure with the dial indicator and a scale tonight to have a better idea.

Downloads
    Uploads

I measured the amount of play with my dial indicator and a scale tonight and at 15 pounds I have 0.002, at 25 I measured 0.04 and after 30, it seems to lock at 0.005. It is not ideal but I will have to deal with it until I install a ballscrew...

After the test I asked my favorite helper to help me install the stepper supports for Y and X axis:

Mechanically, the router is completed.

Then I proceeded with the spindle and drag chains for X and Y.

Next step will be the limit switch.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Second build - Baltic Birch Frame-img_7699-jpg   Second build - Baltic Birch Frame-img_7700-jpg   Second build - Baltic Birch Frame-img_7705-jpg   Second build - Baltic Birch Frame-img_7702-jpg  

Second build - Baltic Birch Frame-img_7700-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

After 2 1/2 months, the machine is finally alive!

I've installed the homing / limit switch and was able to home the machine.

Then I did a bolt check, set the acceleration to conservatives numbers and ran a dry run of an old program that was slow, just to "shake" the machine.

Sorry for the video bad quality.

I tested the backlash on all axis. Both X and Y have around 0.0005 on the dial indicator and the Z with it's "ghetto" preloaded T8 nut have 0.004 which was expected.

The Z is about the same as what I had on my old machine. I'm pretty happy with the Chinese ballscrews on X and Y. I expected more backlash than that.

Now I need to put a sacrificial board on that thing and start making some dust!

Last edited by Biggs427; 04-04-2017 at 11:46 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks great!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Look great, congratulations.
    Russ

Wow...looks great!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

First cutting tests went great! I installed a temporary waste board and flatten it with a 30mm bottom cleaning bit and saw no perceptible flex.

Then I trammed the spindle and redid the waste board surfacing. Still square! I'm really happy!

Now I need a dust boot! MDF produce so much dust compared to real wood!

On a side note, I installed my AM882 drive to drive the Y axis. It is sooooo much more quiet than the TB6600! The stepper movement is so smooth. All drives are configured with 1/4 microstep but the Leadshine feels like it is configured with 1/16! I even rechecked my configuration to make certain.

Also, the stepper is a lot more cooler especially when idle. The CNC was powered for more than one hour to surface the board, move it around to tram the spindle and some other tests. The stepper hooked to TB6600 were between 40 and 45 Celsius and the one hooked to the AM882 was at 23 Celsius.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hadn't got much time to finalize lately.

I used my temporary wasteboard to machine the real one. I clearly need a new dust boot.

Then I insatlled the t-nuts. Got a little help for that step.

I epoxied threaded inserts in the base making certain it was still sealed.

I rechecked that the spindle was square with the base; it has moved a bit. Now it's almost square... less than 0.001 front / back and dead on left / right.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Second build - Baltic Birch Frame-img_7746-jpg   Second build - Baltic Birch Frame-img_7765-jpg   Second build - Baltic Birch Frame-img_7742-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I finally found the time to do some test.

The test I made was the following:

1/4 and 3/4 LOC straight cutter:

The rpm was set to approx. 15000rpm on the router.

I made 3 1in squares at 0.125, 0.25 and 0.375 DOC with conventional path and three other using climb milling.

Feed was set at 100ipm. I'm not really sure about this one.

The results are the following:

Conventionnal:

0.125 DOC:
    X: 1.0065
    Y: 1.0025

0.25 DOC:
    X: 1.0070
    Y: 1.0025

0.375 DOC:
    X: 1.0090
    Y: 1.0020

Climb:

0.125 DOC:
    X: 0.999
    Y: 0.998

0.25 DOC:
    X: 0.995
    Y: 0.990

0.375 DOC:
    X: 0.990
    Y: 0.986

The big difference in X is probably due to my spindle plate which is only two laminated 3/4 BB plates and the relatively short distance between my X trucks (200mm)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Second build - Baltic Birch Frame-img_7777-jpg   Second build - Baltic Birch Frame-img_7770-jpg  
    Last edited by Biggs427; 04-13-2017 at 08:46 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you sure you don't have climb and conventional mixed up? Climb cut parts should be the larger ones.
    Climb = clockwise, Conventional = CCW. When cutting the outside of a part.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

You are right, I mixed it up.

This is the top view of the larger one:
    Second build - Baltic Birch Frame-conventionnal-png

Downloads
    Uploads

Wood is not my first choice of material , but you certainly pulled it off . I was really intrigued when I seen the first video of it running . If I didn't go back to the beginning of the thread , I would have thought it was made of metal .
    Great job , you have some great skills there . Has your daughter asked you if she can take it to show and tell yet lol?

I don't actually know anything about CNC router tables , but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks!

When she's telling her friends that she's working on dad's CNC, they can't be more clueless so she stops talking about it. LOL

But now she daughter has the following mindset: "If dad can't afford to pay for this toy, he's gonna machine it for me"

She think I can build everything which is not good...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast