Momus Inspired Build Log

Thread: Momus Inspired Build Log

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Momus Inspired Build Log

I'm currently in the design phase of my CNC and its loosely based on the Momus design as I really like the sunken bed. I'll be drafting the design using AutoCad and the slowly purchase/build it over the course of a year or so.

I hope to have a cutting area around 4' x 4' X/Y and a 1' Z using Linear Rails/Ball screws.

Attached is the first draft of the frame which is made from various grades of T Slot (90mm x 90mm, 90mm x 45mm and 45mm x 45mm) and the frame size is 7' x 7' x 2' (with a 1' sunken bed). Keep in mind this is a first draft and will more than likely change.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Momus Inspired Build Log-base-design-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Momus Inspired Build Log

First look, the top long corner, 2 on each side, the break in the mid looks funny to me. maybe one on each side should be 1 piece. not sure it make any different, look strong.
    I like the sunken bed also.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SteveWill View Post
    First look, the top long corner, 2 on each side, the break in the mid looks funny to me. maybe one on each side should be 1 piece. not sure it make any different, look strong.
    I like the sunken bed also.
    I'd had done that so I could have another 3"x3" support in the center for the gantry load. I thought about just framing in 1.5"x3" but was unsure if it would be ridgid enough considering the 7' span. The whole base will also be covered with ply/mdf so that will add some support as well. So you maybe right to remove the 3x3 and replace with a 1.5x3. Anyone else got any input?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have revisited my design and realized that It was extremely to big (wanted 4x4 cut area and it was more like 4'x6') and down sized it so I'll have a 3'x3' cut area (probably a little more) with total base mesuring 5.5' x 4.5'. I also took the advice and removed the center post. Any thoughts on the new design?

--James

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Momus Inspired Build Log-base-small-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well after pricing this new base out I think I'm going to re-think this. The base alone (without the gantry) is about $1600CAD + shipping which is a little nuts IMO. I'm thinking about drafting a similar base in steel tubes as its about 1/4 of the price. Anyone done a steel base in place of aluminum?

--James

Downloads
    Uploads

Go with big steel tubes. You don't need to fabricate a complex structure like that. Big steel tubes!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'll draft one up in the next few days with steel, probably use 1"x3" rectangle steel tubes for the frame and 1"x1" for the bed. I'll post when completed

Downloads
    Uploads

1 inch tubes are too small. Steel is cheap. Go for 4x4" tubes or bigger.

My build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...ded-steel.html

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Really no need to go that big for a frame. I'll probably use 3"x3" for the posted and something similar for the gantry but framing all in 4"x4" would just ad unneeded weight IMO.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sry for the delayed update but I have been pretty busy. I actually stop designing this as I came across a used Ooznest OX CNC kit and have been working on getting it setup over the past few months (ordering supplies and such). I'm pretty close to finishing up the controller box using an old Mac pro case and will be working on the actual OX assembly soon. The size of the OX is 1000mm x 1000mm so I had to build a custom table that is 5'3" x 4'3" which has been awesome to build the controller on (will miss the area once the OX is sitting on it). Hope you enjoy the photos and if you have any questions just let me know.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Momus Inspired Build Log-0-jpg   Momus Inspired Build Log-2-jpg   Momus Inspired Build Log-3-jpg   Momus Inspired Build Log-5-jpg  

Momus Inspired Build Log-6-jpg   Momus Inspired Build Log-8-jpg   Momus Inspired Build Log-9-jpg   Momus Inspired Build Log-10-jpg