2nd build - For a friend - Page 3

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd build - For a friend

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 2nd build - For a friend

Quote Originally Posted by 1Jumper10 View Post
    This has been a pretty one sided conversation so far
    Enjoyed reading your thread from start...Thanks! Keep the pics coming. You obviously know what your doing and not many like myself have much to add.

Downloads
    Uploads

Pippin88 and Dan911 thanks for your input. There are lots of intelligent people on this forum and I value your thoughts, advice and suggestions.

Ref keeping the pour area wide enough to keep the meniscus out of the way is good advice. Its unavoidable on the inside edge as it definitely will interrupt the plane for the cross members. But this isnt as critical as the outsides that will support the linear bearing and on the outsides it will be out of the way.

I emailed Mike at precision Epoxy today to get a status on the epoxy and it has shipped. Hopefully I'll get it before Friday afternoon. I'm off all week and I was hoping it would be here so I could make some progress as this is starting to be a hold up. Oh well...

I made some progress on the dam tonight. Pics follow...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Making the form for the epoxy

There are lots of different methods for doing this and I just had to figure out what I had on hand and what I was comfortable working with. I had 2 rolls of foam weatherstrip just gathering dust and 3, 10ft 1x4's that were straight enough. My plan was to use the weatherstrip as a seal and the board to keep pressure on it. I would space it off the back of the anchor points and screw through the anchors to keep it in place. I cut my boards and got all my spacers fastened in place with a brad nailer (love that tool!). I pre fit everything and it all looked good so I applied the weather seal to the board.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2nd build - For a friend-0718161520-jpg   2nd build - For a friend-0718161515-jpg   2nd build - For a friend-0718161547-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I used clamps to compress the seal then screwed through the anchor holes to fasten it in place. When I had one side in place I ran a strip of duct tape down it to cover the part of the form that would be in contact with the epoxy and prevent it from absorbing into the wood and the foam seal. You can see in the 2nd and 3rd pics how well the weatherstrip seal actually conformed over the anchors.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2nd build - For a friend-0718161556a-jpg   2nd build - For a friend-0718161553-jpg   2nd build - For a friend-0718161556-jpg   2nd build - For a friend-0718161603-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I brad nailed the corners together, closed up a couple gaps with some silicone sealer triple checked everything and left it for the night. Tomorrow I'll apply the rest of the duct tape and work on the outside form. That should be significantly easier. I'll also prime it with some fast hardening epoxy.

Next time I build a CNC router on a base that I'm going to pour an epoxy surface on, I'm going to make the top of the base out of C-Channel . It would be ready made form for epoxy and the anchors would be pre-made.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2nd build - For a friend-0718161723-jpg   2nd build - For a friend-0718161639-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I finished up the inside form this morning and the photos just give a little more detail of how it turned out. The last one is looking at the backside of the inside form. It shoes pretty well how the weather seal formed around the anchors. I'm confident this will be liquid tight but I'm still going to prime with some regular epoxy tomorrow.

After I was happy with the inside form I started on the outside.

Next router I build I'm using C-Channel

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2nd build - For a friend-0719161013-jpg   2nd build - For a friend-0718161603-jpg   2nd build - For a friend-0719161024-jpg   2nd build - For a friend-0719161100-jpg  

2nd build - For a friend-0719161101-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Went to the local home supply store and got a sheet of tempered hardboard 4x8x1/8", some 1/8" window seal and some expanding foam and a bag of play sand. Had the hardboard cut into 4 6" wide strips before I left. The spray foam and the play sand are for adding some mass to the base but I will wait on that until the epoxy is poured.

Got back home and started sticking the weather seal to the frame. The seal is made of EPDM rubber and I was a little worried about the epoxy attacking it so to test it I cut a piece off and dropped it in some acetone. The only affect after 3 hours was the adhesive had come off the back but the rubber showed no indication of chemical attack. If it can stand up to acetone it should be able to resist epoxy no-problem.

I started by attaching the seal just below the lower break of the edge. I did this around the entire base. I ran a strip of duct tape on the edge of each board where it would be in contact with epoxy. I placed the boards against the rubber window seal and used duct tape to hold it in place and firmly apply pressure to the seal. I kept adding duct tape until I was confident. Duct tape is cheap. Epoxy is expensive. It worked pretty good but I quickly found out that you have to make a complete wrap around the whole form or the tape would loosen up. When I was happy with the form I touched up the corners with silicone sealant and a couple other places on the end faces of the tubes. Tomorrow I'll prime it with regular epoxy.

The next CNC router I build I'll be using C-channel for the top Did I already mention that...?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2nd build - For a friend-0719161439-jpg   2nd build - For a friend-0719161626-jpg   2nd build - For a friend-0719161400-jpg   2nd build - For a friend-0719161401-jpg  

2nd build - For a friend-0719161408-jpg   2nd build - For a friend-0719161431-jpg   2nd build - For a friend-0719161440-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

The SC-15P epoxy from Epoxies Page will be here today. Should have it poured this afternoon if everything goes right.

Downloads
    Uploads

C channel is weak. Unless you were adding C channel on top of your existing frame.

Dam looks good.

Downloads
    Uploads

I heard C-channel wasnt ideal for a frame which I thought was strange. But yes, I would set the C-channel right down on top of the frame and weld it there : a ready made, permanent form for the leveling epoxy and add a few holes and you would have anchor points. Seems too easy...

Spent the last couple hours getting it as level as possible. Now just waiting on UPS...

Downloads
    Uploads

Epoxy arrives tomorrow. I primed it today with System 3 epoxy. I don't think the form would have leaked without it. It definitely wont now i guess.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Got the Epoxy today. When I picked it up at the UPS facility it had tape on it that plainly indicated "THIS END UP'. Said tape was roundly ignored as it was laying on its side

Nothing leaked but Mike from Precision Epoxies made a point of saying to keep the components level until they are ready to be mixed. The intention being to ensure that all the parts get mixed together and when its poured there isnt unmixed resin on the side of the bucket that gets poured in to the form. Mike had my order seperated in batches. I needed just over 1 gallon so he measured up the exact amounts and shipped them. Along with a spatula and a nice stirrer.

I got everything unpackaged, read the labels and gave Mike a call just to get any last minute tips. He had offered phone tech support via email.
    The temp here today was just over 80 degrees F and Mike suggested I reduce my stir time from 4 mins to 3 since it was that hot out. The pot time, and cure times are assumed at a temp of 72 degrees F. Mike said the ideal pot time is 0mins! So combine, stir, pour. Dont waste time.
    The Pot time is on the label at 18 mins. The Open time is 55 mins and the cure time is 24 hrs initial/ full cure 168hrs.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2nd build - For a friend-0721161034-jpg   2nd build - For a friend-0721161036-jpg   2nd build - For a friend-0721161035-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Pouring the leveling epoxy

The Epoxy is pigmented black my son and I (his foot in the pics) stirred it and poured in the hardener. I scraped the hardener container out with the spatula. When we had mixed it for 3 and a half minutes (I added 30 secs for insurance) I got my son started mixing the second batch and I poured out the first batch. I poured it out in pools moving along one half of the form and I did the same thing with the second batch until it had flowed over the entire thing.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2nd build - For a friend-0721161136a-jpg   2nd build - For a friend-0721161142-jpg   2nd build - For a friend-0721161142a-jpg   2nd build - For a friend-0721161149-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Pouring the leveling epoxy

My form held perfectly. No leaks at all. The viscosity of the epoxy is not as thin as water and not as thick as syrup. I watched it close for any leaks or bubbles. There were 4 bubbles maybe? I had the propane torch on for all of 10 seconds. The pigment in the epoxy has some additive that inhibits air entrainment and with this pour it worked extremely well. I kept the mixing bucket available as it had a thin layer in the bottom that I could monitor as a sample. Within an hour it hard gotten thick but it would still flow if you tipped the bucket. After 3 hours its tacky enough to leave a fingerprint if you touch it. It looks really nice. Its like a glossy black mirror. And it should be, essentially, perfectly flat.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2nd build - For a friend-0721161150-jpg   2nd build - For a friend-0721161158-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

At 6 hours the bucket sample was tack free but you could dent it with your finger nail. At 9 hours it was hard. I checked the pour and it was hard and couldnt be scratched with my finger nail. It was shiny black and flat. Will remove the form tomorrow morning. That should be 22 to 24 hrs.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Epoxy leveling of the base - Removing the forms

Removed the forms this morning.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2nd build - For a friend-0722160945a-jpg   2nd build - For a friend-0722160947-jpg   2nd build - For a friend-0722161129-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

More pics. Can only post about 3 or 4 at a time. There were only a couple spots where the liquid epoxy got past the primer epoxy but it was held by the window seal. You can see it in the first 2 pics.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2nd build - For a friend-0722160949-jpg   2nd build - For a friend-0722160949a-jpg   2nd build - For a friend-0722161000-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

So far this part of the build has gone very well. It was a totally new method for me as I had never worked with epoxy on this scale. Mike from precisionepoxy was very helpful. He even called me today while I was removing the forms to see how it went.

Just for validation and curiosity's sake I checked the surface of the epoxy for level with an electronic level I had. Two days before I had spent about 2 hours adjusting the base to get it as level as you can get a slightly twisted steel frame. With the base still in the exact same position as it was before I poured, and no other change except the epoxy, I checked it with the level at about 6 different points and it was all exactly the same.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2nd build - For a friend-0722161209-jpg   2nd build - For a friend-0722161405-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Epoxy leveling of the base - lessons learned

For future reference for me when I build one like this for me, and for anyone reading this who might be trying the same thing, here's a couple things I learned:

The foam rubber weather seal I used on the inside form worked well and did not leak through completely but in any place where it was not covered by duct tape it absorbed a little and was difficult to remove. Had to be scraped off with a putty knife.

I wouldnt be afraid to mix it a little longer. Especially if I could pour immediately.

The pigmented epoxy has an additive to reduce air entrainment and it worked very well. There were hardly any bubbles when I poured it out. And none in the cured epoxy.

Priming the form with fast setting epoxy was probably not necessary but, It gave me a lot of confidence when I started to pour that it wasnt going to leak. I told Mike I had primed it before I poured and he said I should rough up the surface where I had primed to ensure his epoxy would adhere since he did not know if it was compatible. This was difficult because the form was in the way. Maybe next time I would get some insight from Mike about this. Or, just use C-channel on the top and forget all this nonsense

Duct tape worked well to hold the form and keep pressure on the seal. And on the outside form, I ripped it wide enough that the hard board extended an inch below the bottom of the metal 4x4 and this created a lever effect that pinched the seal when I wrapped the tape around it.

Would definitely buy the epoxy from PrecisionEpoxy again. Good product and good customer service. Even if he only accepts checks.

Thats about it I think. In one week it will be perfectly flat and fully cured to a compressive strength in excess of 17,000 psi according to Mike. This should support my frame nicely which will only apply just over 1 pound per square inch to the surface

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2nd build - For a friend-0722161208-jpg   2nd build - For a friend-0722161403-jpg  
    Last edited by 1Jumper10; 07-22-2016 at 04:59 PM. Reason: added

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks very nice. Looks like the right stuff.

Good work on the dam. The weather seal is a nice idea but I did think it would get stuck. Better stuck than epoxy on the floor.

My West system didn't turn out quite so well, still does the job.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast