Second machine design process - Page 4

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Second machine design process

Downloads
    Uploads

You had better vacuum before your wife gets home....

Eric

I wish it wouldn't crash.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

You must know my fiancee very well!
    The place was spic and span long before she got home.
    (honestly, she is incredibly tolerant. I have my CNC and my whole helicopter blade business set up in our dining room!)
    co

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, That might change once you marry her..

E

I wish it wouldn't crash.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Last night's project. Dont laugh at my BIG RED E STOP button. I couldn't fit the fan inside, but I am only running 24V so it should be OK. I might add it to the outside later.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Second machine design process-cncbox2-jpg  

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

backside.
    I cut the front and back panels on my CNC router, of course.
    One switch is main power, other is switched to an outlet on the back for a light. The other outlet is switched by software to turn the spindle on and off. Lights on the front are for main power and spindle on.
    co

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Second machine design process-cncbox1-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looking Good. Do you have enough rubber to do the table and this box? I have about 3 million more pounds in my warehouse.

JTB

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

More than enough left, John. I will keep that 3 million pounds in mind for my next machine.
    co

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very good stuff,
    as to the 'big red stop switch' the women allways tell us fellows that size is not important!
    Yeah right.
    Like the idea of filling the torsion box with rubber, very clever.
    Keep the posts coming, I'm having to start packing up my workshop (due to the fact were moving house) and am having to put all my projects on the back burner, so I'm having to watch you chaps.

all the best

Gus

Downloads
    Uploads

yukonho -- Nice looking control Box! Did you catch my cheapo find on in-line switch at Home Depot? Its red - would kill the power circuit anyway.

for johntbyrne :

Originally posted by johntbyrne
    I have about 3 million more pounds in my warehouse.
    Those tire bits wouldn't be colored and ready to use as mulch would they? Whooo - wait a minute - I gotta stop workin' on this house remodel project!
    Cheers - Jim

Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Be careful with no fan on that Xylotex, I here they can be pretty sensitive.

Gerry

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jim, I just finished a system to screen truck buffings for landscaping but we don't do the color part. Selling to someone else for that. Cool looking stuff. If this proves out I'll have rubber in mine for sure. I sure hope it does since I can obviously get all I want and mine will be fresher than this week old stuff you see in the pics LOL.

JTB

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Highseas, I did not catch your find. I will check out home depot Monday.
    I will keep an eye on the board, it doesn't get too hot in the open and there is a bunch of airspace in the box so it "should" be OK.
    John, I didn't know that "fresh rubber" would be better, can you send me a half a million pounds of the fresh stuff? hehe
    co

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm sorry for being redundant but what exactly is the "torsion box" used for?
    -Tei

-Please check out my webiste-
    http://www.teilhardo.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

might be good to have some grommets where those wires
    feed thru? - csa/ul/nec etc

maybe...

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

I will have my pipes running on top and bottom of the torsion box. The box will eliminate any flex of my pipes under the weight of the z axis and cutting forces. I am also using one for the table. It will make the table incredibly rigid but still light.
    Yeah, I was thinking of grommets but just didn't have any when I put the box together. They are strain relieved though.
    co

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

A couple of hours here and there is all that I have been able to do lately. It is coming along and I am really liking the design more and more.
    The torsion box on the X axis along with the enclosed back makes it super rigid. The tortion box is filled with rubber nerds.
    The table is a tortion box too and will be filled with the nerds too. The pipes are supported along the top and bottom of the tortion box, and the holes on the sides are oversized. I will add the 4 jaw adjuster idea on both pipes each end. The holes on the y axis are cut with my CNC and are not going to be adjustable. The Y axis pipes will be supported at two spots on each side, and should have no sag at all.
    Total travel is 20" X 11" X 4" I have a very solid slide for the Z axis.
    I really like the door idea. Should keep the noise and dust way down.
    co

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Second machine design process-fools-041-jpg  

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nother pic with "door" open

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Second machine design process-fools-043-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Really like your design. The cabnet as you say is really part of the structure, and should keep the sound down too.
    Do you plan to put a windshield wiper on the inside? Ha Ha

Good job, looking forward for the next photos.

Hager

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

No windshield wiper, but there will be recessed lights on each side lighting up the work area. Headlights if you will.
    I am am really happy with the design. It is built to use for my business, and the work envelope is designed around the parts I make (rotor blades for R/C micro helicopters) The enclosure started as a way to keep the noise and dust down, and quickly became integrated with the structure. I kinda wish I wasn't so cheap and would spring for linear slides. I would rather get a new heli though!
    co

Downloads
    Uploads

Well we all have to set our priorities.

Will you hook your shop vac up to the cabinet or have a dust pickup at the cutter?

I haven't heard anyone discuss the dust and the router since it relies on airflow to cool it, or is there even a concern about dust buildup inside the router? Mea by it isn't an issue.

I think we will see copies of your design in the near future. People make a machine then realize that there's a big dust issue. And your design address the dust, and it's an ever stronger more rigid machine because of the integration of the cabinet and frame, not to mention your use of a torsion box design . It also saves money and material, speeds up construction. Etc...

It's like a rectangular/square egg, in design and strength. Name "Square Egg" ??

Regards,

Hager

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast