Started mine yesterday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Started mine yesterday

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Started mine yesterday

I bought the Solsylva plans a couple of weeks ago. I have been spending most of my time buying parts, building a PC and playing with software. I got to see one of these routers work yesterday and it really motivated me to get going on mine. I have most everything done except for the main wooden parts. I plan to hook up my computer and drive components this week and finish the build next weekend. Here is a picture of what I have so far. I did not include any photos of the mistakes...would require too much band width....LOL.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Started mine yesterday-dscf2902-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Good to see you using supported rails.That should help considerably with the accuracy seeing as how you won't have to worry about any flexing. Congrats on the start of something new and don't forget the pictures.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome to your new obsession.

Jason

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Set motors on the table tonight. Followed directions for the Xylotex 3 axis kit and jogged them a bit. Made a box in drawing program and "cut" it with motors. Loaded as much of the Vcarve Bullshead sign as it would take and tried to play with it. Does fine until it tries to run 2 or more axis at the same time. Makes a loud stepping sound and motors almost vibrate off the table. Xylotex says bench testing will not give same results as on a machine, so I will not worry about it until then.

Dwayne

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default More progress

Well another weekend come and gone. Not finished yet but have made more progress. I now have all of the wooden parts made. Over the next couple of days I will be doing the assembly. Probably will not run until after Thanksgiving. Too many palces to go and too much food to eat. I used a mix of wood I have around the house. There is some Purple Heart, Cherry, Rift Sawn White Oak and even a little MDF and pine studs for the feet. Happy Thanksgiving All.

Dwayne

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Started mine yesterday-dscf2914-jpg   Started mine yesterday-dscf2915-jpg   Started mine yesterday-dscf2916-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default DONE...well 95 percent

I have it completed. Installed a HF trim router tonight and acctually made my first cuts. A little cheesey but what do you expect from someone with no imagination. Now I have to buy the software and learn how to use it all.

Dwayne

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Started mine yesterday-dscf2943-jpg   Started mine yesterday-dscf2944-jpg   Started mine yesterday-dscf2942-jpg  
    Last edited by DayneInfo; 12-02-2006 at 10:51 PM. Reason: wrong picture

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Congratulations. Looks like you did a good job.

I'm a beginner but I definitely love my Vcarve Pro. It is so much simpler than most of the programs I have tried and does a terrific job. Just my 2 cents worth.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The plan is to buy VCarvePro, PhotoVCarve and Mach. I have paid for Mach and am waiting for the license to be emailed to me.

Dwayne

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default cable carrier

Hi, Your machine looks great!

I was wondering about your cable carrier. It looks like a great solution. does it swivel when the machine moves in the x direction? Could you post more pics of it? Thanks!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looking at the picture more closely, it looks like it may be connected to the gantry. Just wondering. thanks again.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I took the idea from another router I saw here. The X axis and Y are set up the same way. What I did was build it so that when fully extended you have a 15 degree angle going up. This forces it in the right direction when you move. You have to remember 2 things, both ends have to be mounted the same height above the rails and both arms have the same distance between their holes. Here are a couple of closer pictures. Let me know if you need any more info.

Dwayne

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Started mine yesterday-dscf2945-jpg   Started mine yesterday-dscf2946-jpg   Started mine yesterday-dscf2947-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice Dayne. If mine turns out half as good I'll be a happy camper. Im sorry I didn't buy the oak I originally intended now, but I'll have to stick with my MDF at this stage. Hardwood looks so much nicer.

Good Job. Any news or progress over Christmas? I've got to get my hands on V-Carve!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have found that the threaded rod lead screws are not as accurate as I need. I am going to now build a bigger, better, faster machine. I have only so far tested and played with it to check accuracy but I am very happy with it. It was a fun project and I have learned alot with it. I boought Vcarve and it is fun to play with. I am looking forward to using it more, especially to make my next machine. I like the hardwood that I used in this build. I am sure it is more accurate that other parts of the machine. I have now added dust collection and installed a DeWalt trim router. The HF trim router was not holding th bit centered and I was getting oversized cuts. All in all a really cool toy.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DayneInfo View Post
    I am going to now build a bigger, better, faster machine.
    Ahh....I hear this is the trap we will all fall into! Please keep us updated on your future build.

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

I took the idea from another router I saw here. The X axis and Y are set up the same way. What I did was build it so that when fully extended you have a 15 degree angle going up. This forces it in the right direction when you move. You have to remember 2 things, both ends have to be mounted the same height above the rails and both arms have the same distance between their holes. Here are a couple of closer pictures. Let me know if you need any more info.

Dwayne
    Do I see some exotic hard woods there in the Z Axis?
    Pretty High Class Machine.

Nice Job.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Chips View Post
    Do I see some exotic hard woods there in the Z Axis?
    That's masonite.

Or did you mean the purpleheart??

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Dwayne
    Looks great Dwayne I spent some time trying to figure out how to do the same on my X-axis, but couldn't find a good way to attach it. Looks like you've got it working great.

Andy
    CNC Kits - http://www.comptonsoft.com/cncweb/

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    That's masonite.

Or did you mean the purpleheart??
    Yep, the Purpleheart, makes it a class piece.

Good looking machine.
    Hager

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, there is some puple heart, cherry and the ever elusive tempered hardboard....LOL. I bought the hardboard, everything else was just laying around begging to be used.

Dwayne

Downloads
    Uploads

You found TEMPERED HARDBOARD!!!! I bow down to you. Or should that be to your local supplier!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast