Xairflyer's first MDF CNC router - Page 16

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 613141516

Thread: Xairflyer's first MDF CNC router

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you go up to 24 volts you should see a big difference in performance.
    Cutting signs with my JGRO I have had to make sacrifices in speed to get excellent finishes
    and I have not regretted it.
    Lets us know how the upgrades work out.

Jason

Downloads
    Uploads

was not reading this back when you originally posted it but I just read through and found some very interesting and useful info.

on the 24 volt supply I have found using two computer power supplies works to provide me with that from their 12 volt out lines. I just tie the ground of one to the positive of the other and then run positive from one to my positive on the item needing power and ground from the other one to the ground to the project. you only get the amps of the lower of the two, but you get the full 24 volts. *used this to make an anodizer for stainless and tied 10 units together at once to get 120volts of DC power, and it worked just fine too so....* being DC the outputs of the powersupply can be used much like batteries for getting more voltage or amperage by using them in parallel or series (par for more amps and series for more volts) Just do not try to use that with the outputs from the same powersupply, as that will blow it out by shorting the hardware.

MDF is great by the way and I find I get a lot more strength by using thinner layers and firmly clamping evenly the parts after evenly covering the joining faces with wood glue. this creates a sort of skin for the layers kinda like the fibers in fiberglass and makes it stronger. I am even considering using fiberglass in a set up at some point too, to bond the layers of MDF and see what I get.

Last edited by morphious69; 12-11-2011 at 04:45 AM. Reason: spelling corrections

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys for replies

I discovered a thread on doubling up PC PSU like as you mentioned Daisy chaining PC PSU in the electronics forum.

As for now current supply was my problem, so I wired two 400w supplies in parallel using the method mentioned. It works well and got me going again.

It is a simple mod you just have to isolate one PSU PCB board from the case.

Two 500w PC PSU wired in series would give me enough current and 24v but there are a lot of commercial PSU out there now at good prices so might try one of them.

Anyone tried one of these
    24v PSU

Downloads
    Uploads

9 years, wow hard to believe!, since I built my machine on here I am finally cutting on it what I wanted it for in the first place, balsa and ply ribs & parts for Model aircraft.

The machine has been going all the time but 99% of the time I cut lexan parts for stuff I sell.

I just cut 30 ribs for a friend out of 2mm liteply with a 2mm slot drill and the cut was first class really impressed.

So in the middle of cutting out my first kit of parts, from my plans of a 1/4 scale model I want to build.
    Bit more work in drawing the plan when you want to transfer it to the machine, but still much easier than cutting out all those ribs and formers by hand

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Xairflyer's first MDF CNC router-pic-002-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

looks like your machine is still running well, how long did it take to cut the sheet out and how did you hold it down? You'll have to watch out now as you'll have a queue of guys looking for you to cut kits

Rob

I'll get it finished sometime after I start it.....

Downloads
    Uploads

I am really going to show myself up here, especially after having this machine in use for 9 years, I still never got round to making a vacuum table

The lexan (polycarbonate I usually cut I have been holding down with double sided tape and clamps at the edge, the double sided tape works well as I am peeling off the backing anyway when complete.

For the ribs just cut, I screwed down the four corners (plus some clamps) for the first 300x600mm sheet and just manually held if it lifted anywhere else, once the first sheet was cut I added more screws (short ones only about 5mm long) inbetween the ribs in the waste areas.
    Then this sheet became a master blank for the next five, so I could predrill the fixing holes, worked very well when cutting multiples of the same thing.

Now I am going to cut this stuff more often need to build a vac table so I open to ideas on designs.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 613141516