Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 5'x5' Steel build";

You won't regret it, profile rails are sooooooo much better than SBR rails

Downloads
    Uploads

Well another build update:

Got my profile rails (as said before in earlier reply) but also ordered 1610 ballscrews for all the axis.

Spent some time in the garage tonight and got the y axis rails mounted and spaced correctly. They run relatively smooth, a little tougher than expected but not in a bind. Im thinking that the stiffness is caused by slight misalignment in the level of the trucks relative to each other. I will see when i get the actual gantry on there and all bolted up, might need to be slightly shimmed. Anyways, ill post more when i get some done. I am trying to get some more time on this to get it done, but life always seems to happen. Thanks.
    5'x5' Steel build";-cam00523-jpg5'x5' Steel build";-cam00524-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Build Update.

Got some time to work on the machine (and it has been cooler outside!)

Got the gantry.supports made and bolted up. Also got the top rail of x axis mounted. Next step is to make a gauge for the lower rail so i can mount it parallel. Ill update soon thanks.

Last edited by minichopper6hp; 10-14-2015 at 12:17 PM.

MrSllez

Just a quick question for the builder, been considering building a similar machine, also steel but i am still unsure about SBR rails or profiled ones from THK. Are they really that much batter than chinese ones?

Downloads
    Uploads

don't waste your money on the Chinese SBR rails. The thk name brand profile rails are very nice. They are super smooth and very tight on the bearing blocks to the rail and make virtually no noise when you move them back and forth compared to the SPR rails that are loose and they make a lot of noise when traveling. don't be like me and make the mistake I'm cheaping out the first time and go ahead and bite the bullet and spend that extra money.

MrSllez

Quote Originally Posted by minichopper6hp View Post
    don't waste your money on the Chinese SBR rails. The thk name brand profile rails are very nice. They are super smooth and very tight on the bearing blocks to the rail and make virtually no noise when you move them back and forth compared to the SPR rails that are loose and they make a lot of noise when traveling. don't be like me and make the mistake I'm cheaping out the first time and go ahead and bite the bullet and spend that extra money.
    Have you bought all of them new too? What do you think about getting them used off ebay? I have a dealer with linear stuff nearby but new rails, blocks and ballscrew stuff is expensive as hell. Basically a thk set for cnc with area of 1000*600mm and 200mm z travel would cost me about 3000k-4000kk euro.

Downloads
    Uploads

I got my rails on ebay used for 500 u.s.

That was 2 sets 1150mm and 1set 550mm.

Downloads
    Uploads

A little update...

Got the y axis rails all done up. Also made some mounting brackets for the steppers and got them attached. I am amazed at how tight everything can be but yet glides effortlessly. For example. I have dual drive on the y axis and if i turn the stepper by hand on one side, it will rotate the other side without even racking the gantry. Very pleased. Getting time to actually work on this with being out of town on work is very hard, but i will continue on!

Pics:

Downloads
    Uploads

Build update:

Been almost a year! I have bought a house and we had our 4th child. A little baby boy. Anyways...

Drew up my x carriage and z axis assembly and began to machine parts for it. I have spot to go but will post pics as I go through.

All parts are in 1/2" aluminum plate.

Downloads
    Uploads

Update... Worked on machining some more parts. I will post pics.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by minichopper6hp View Post
    Quickly discovered this design won't work. The screw is just too long for the diameter and has too much flex. Am now considering rotating nut design.

Sent from my LGMS769 using Tapatalk
    Rack & Pinion will give your machine over 1050 in/meed rapids! Its the rapids you need on a table that size, else it will take forever to Travis the big table!
    Your feed rates are for cutting, rapids are for positioning!
    Widgit

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice build. I am starting a similar build before I saw your thread. I have 25mm SBR rails, free, though I may not use them. Automation Overstock has good pricing, Also I plan on using helical R&P on my build. Keep the photos coming.

Downloads
    Uploads

Finished some parts. X axis spacer blocks and ballscrew mount.

Downloads
    Uploads

Been trying to figure out what motor package I'm going to use. Those 425oz in motors I bought originally have high inductance so I won't be using them.

I have been eyeing these on eBay. Any personal experiences? Thanks.

Nema23 3NM Closed Loop Stepper Motor Kit Hybrid Servo Drive CNC Control System

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12