Jason's 5x5 Router Build - Page 2

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jason's 5x5 Router Build

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by keyne
    Jason,
    movement per rotation is effective diameter * pi. I suspect it is more than 28mm with an 18t pulley. Actually i think you forgot to multiply by pi.
    550ipm doesn't sound *that* fast.. how about 1650

What european design did you refer to earlier?
    Regards
    K

P.S. i will start a build log/planning log for my machine soon, also a belt driven design.

Yes that's right I did forget to multiply by pi. This means that gearing down is a necessity.
    When I find that design I will post the link.

Bigz1,
    According to Benny his belts do not slip or stretch and he has had them for a while.

Shay,
    Hopefully I will finish this router for a really low price so anyone with a little space can cut with the big boys

Jason

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

After a long time I can report little progress. I have received belts and gears from sdp-si. I will mock-up the gear reduction assembly today and have some additional pics for later in the day. I may have to reduce the size of this router due to space but my intention is that it be identical, except in length, to the longer router to which this thread is dedicated.
    I have altered my long rails and this will now result in having to weld some parts. I located a small mig welder and when the funds become available I will have it shipped in.

Pic 1: 28 tooth and 72 tooth gears with 1/2" bore. I ordered these gears with a 12mm bore at first, but reordered 1/2" after 12mm stainless steel rod was a bit hard to find. I know I could have gone to a machinist but it would have been probally more expensive in the end. In the end I will use them probably for the second machine so I will pay eventually.

Pic2: 100 tooth pulley belts, 15mm wide. 1/2 bore bearings, 32mm OD, 10mm wide, code 6201-2RS 1/2. I purchased the 12mm bore first and also had to reorder but they were cheap at 1.25 each. They messed up the second order however and sent 7 instead of the 10 I ordered and as my luck would have it I really wanted 8, so I am still 1 short.
    I went back to order some more last night and guess what the price more than doubled to 3.26 each.
    I cut the bearing holders on my JGRO. The larger one will carry the motor the inside holes will allow me to remove the motor without moving the bearings.

Jason

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jason's 5x5 Router Build-gears-jpg   Jason's 5x5 Router Build-belts-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

After getting the gear reduction almost assembled I realized that my 100 tooth belts were supposed to be 105 tooth belts, I should have altered the center distance and simply forgot.

I edited the CAD file and recalculated the toolpaths in VCarve Pro and will cut them this weekend.

Having a cnc machine to cut test parts is rather great as I cannot imagine trying to mark out this stuff by hand and then drill.

Pic1: Circular pattern of holes, the bigger holes are 1/4-20 tapped and the smaller ones 10-24 tapped.

Pic2: Bearing supports. The top one has 8 extra holes around the outside for the motor support screws.

Pic3: The motor will spin the top shaft with has a 28 tooth pulley on which spins the 72 tooth and the 28 tooth below, this 28 tooth then spin the other 72 tooth on the bottom which should give me 6.25:1 reduction. I think I calculated that correctly.

The 28 tooth pulley on the middle of the final gearshaft will turn a long open ended belt that runs the length of the long axis. This shaft will extend to the other long axis to turn a 28 tooth pulley running another open ended belt. A belt on each long axis will reduce or eliminate racking.

Jason

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jason's 5x5 Router Build-grsides-jpg   Jason's 5x5 Router Build-gr_bearing_supports-jpg   Jason's 5x5 Router Build-gr_assembly-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I did a quick assembly today to test the new calculated center distance and after two attempts got it right. I am not sure if the tension is right. Is there supposed to be a little give in the belt or is the belt to be very tight.

Jason

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jason's 5x5 Router Build-tempassenbly-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Got the new gear reduction assembly done today. Used a center distance of 123mm and it works just fine.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jason's 5x5 Router Build-newgrassembly1-jpg   Jason's 5x5 Router Build-newgrassembly2-jpg   Jason's 5x5 Router Build-newgrassembly3-jpg   Jason's 5x5 Router Build-newgrassembly4-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Jason, looks like some good progress! Is this assembly as shown the final design or are you planning to make some changes? I'm wondering about the stepper mount. Does the stepper seem pretty solidly mounted when you twist on it?

Jerry

JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The mount as shown is stronger than I expected but I am going to use aluminium round stock center drilled by a latheman for the motor standoff.

The design will stay close to the pics. The oly thing to be added are the bearing runners for the long belt

Jason

Downloads
    Uploads

Jason I have a quick question, how do you find the belt setup as compared with say acme thread, I know you are using belts because of the sheer size of the machine, whipping of leadscrew etc, but I was wondering about using them on my machine (1200mm by 800mm) would there be any advantage over using acme thread ?

And no I cannot afford ballscrew's (yet)

O.K. so it wasn't THAT quick of a question

Oh yeah, almost forgot... nice work btw, keep the pics comin

Russell.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Russell,

Thanks for the encouragement. I would use acme thread on your machine based on the dimensions. Belts will complicate your build.

Jason

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool, I was kinda hoping you would say that, I have my head around the acme thread, didn't want to get any more confused

Russell.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have changed the design yet again and will now use "I" beam to run the bearing on. I have no pics at this moment but hopefully I will get a piece of the beam this week, adjust the bearing assembly and post the pics.

Jason

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Your 4x8

I cannot find any new posts, have they been moved are just at a stand still?
    Dan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Dan,

I have been between so many minds that I have ground to a halt , at least for now.

The I beam idea sounded great but in reality it was a pain as the it had small imperfections which inhibited the smooth rolling of the bearings.

I may possibly have the long belts (all 26 feet of them) by the end of this month as an uncle is visiting from MD. I was thinking of getting motors as well but with the passenger luggage weight restrictions on the planes I will ship them seperately.

Homeshopcnc has some new monster steppers with the largest nema 34 rated at ~2500 oz/in torque at 8A . I think I want those

I have a design for the linear bearings which I think I will stick to, so the new sticking point is the Z axis design. I want to use materials that I have at home and this is making it somewhat harder.

If I push myself I will be able to post some results in the coming weeks.

My plan was to build a large router that could be built fairly easily but its fighting me all the way. When I am done I will make out a parts list to see what the actual cost will be.

Jason

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Don't give up

I know what you mean.

I have been holding up because of the lack of money, I have a friend that is building one to make doors for the front of logs homes, I told him to take a look at your, as I knew that when you got done it would work.

Good luck, and we all hope you can get back on it soon.

Dan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Dan.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I finally got a Z / X axis looking like its close to completion. Here is a pic of it on the floor. I will try to get it mounted temporarily on the hollow section for a better view.
    The bearings are moving very smoothly on the hollow section although I have them rather tight. Its a lot heavier than I thought it would be at around 40 lbs.
    The gear reduction is a 6.25 to 1.

The room to house my machines is not fully cleared yet but a significant start has been made.

Jason

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jason's 5x5 Router Build-dscf1002-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Good to see you are still going Jason, sometimes it may seem there is always something getting in the way, but if you keep at it, one day it will be built... at least that is what I keep telling myself

Russell.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Nice work

Is there any way you can post a larger picture where we could see more details of your unit?
    Dan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Russell. I will try to make this the final push towards completion.( How many times have I said that before )

Hey Dan here are some more pics, hopefully they are good enough for you.
    The hollow section is 120x80mm and 6mm material, its quite heavy at 70lbs and added to that the 40 lb Z/X its a bit of a chore moving it around.

Jason

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jason's 5x5 Router Build-dscn0010e-jpg   Jason's 5x5 Router Build-dscn0012e-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is an extreme closeup of the gearing.

The shaft that will connect to the motor turns a 28 T pulley which in turn turns a 70T pulley which is in turn connected to a 28T pulley on the other side and that turns another 70T pulley along with the final 28 T drive pulley. The white idler along with one on the other sidewill mesh a 7' open belt with the 28T final drive pulley. I have wider and longer belts as well as the pulleys to match for the final drive so there may be some changes to the current setup.
    The blue bearing holders each house seperate shafts

Jason

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jason's 5x5 Router Build-dscn0015e-jpg  

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast