New Machine Build 80/20 extrusion router build - Page 5

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: 80/20 extrusion router build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 80/20 extrusion router build

Not cnc related but I picked up a festool domino on eBay for a decent price. Barely used. I contacted the seller and purchased his entire stock of tenons for less than half retail price. Been looking for one but the domino is too expensive to buy new. Mortise and tenon joints are now quick and simple. I only buy one major tool a year so this is my birthday present to myself. A nice addition to my woodshop.
    80/20 extrusion router build-imageuploadedbytapatalk1410067812-552811-jpg
    80/20 extrusion router build-imageuploadedbytapatalk1410067831-152233-jpg
    80/20 extrusion router build-imageuploadedbytapatalk1410067842-602400-jpg
    80/20 extrusion router build-imageuploadedbytapatalk1410067852-752102-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah the domino system is pretty kewl. But I find doweling joints to be much cheaper, and pretty much as strong.

Not saying I wouldn't like the domino, don't have to setup and jigs or anything to use it properly.

Festool makes some really nice hardware, but so freaking expensive!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 80/20 extrusion router build

This is my first festool and don't plan on getting anymore. Nothing else in their line up of tools really interest me at all. Like you said to darn expensive. I have a beadlock loose tenon jig that I used before but the alignment wasn't too accurate. It would always drill at a slight angle. Plus it is only one size tenon.

One good thing about festool is that they have a really high resale value. I can probably sell the domino for close to the price I bought it for if I don't need it anymore. The majority of the unopened bags of domino tenons that I got in the deal, I plan to eBay to get a few bucks back. I don't need thousands of them!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a bunch of Festool stuff. Great stuff....you get what you pay for. If you have no need for anything else than you should not buy any more. I used to dowel and stopped when I got the domino. There is a guy that made his own domino machine using a router. Many people make their own dominos. So there are as usual, many ways of skinning a cat......though I am in awe that you only buy one major tool per year..........I wish I could do that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by the4thseal View Post
    I have a bunch of Festool stuff. Great stuff....you get what you pay for. If you have no need for anything else than you should not buy any more. I used to dowel and stopped when I got the domino. There is a guy that made his own domino machine using a router. Many people make their own dominos. So there are as usual, many ways of skinning a cat......though I am in awe that you only buy one major tool per year..........I wish I could do that.
    I do already have a pretty well equipped shop. 25 years on the making so things really only get replaced if they fail. Last year I made my gantry cnc which was pretty expensive. Didn't really buy anything expensive for workshop this year until the domino. Although consumable items like sandpaper, paint, stain, wood, metal etc does add up...but that doesn't count.

Downloads
    Uploads

80/20 extrusion router build-imageuploadedbytapatalk1410188881-518967-jpg

Made these drink coasters last week. I was given a bunch of thin stock that was to small to make something big out of. I think it is poplar. Cut them 3.5"x3.5" and Vcarved engraved with team logos. They all got sold pretty quick to my customers at my bar.

Had to be inventive with trying to hold down the pieces so used my vacuum veneering pump and some gasket tape. Made a small vacuum hold down jig out of mdf. Worked pretty well.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by the4thseal View Post

I do have to admit that festool does make really great hardware. When I go to woodcraft you just have to marvel over the festool display. I suppose if one of my dewalt sanders dies, a nice festool might replace it. Although the dewalts have been going strong for over 10 years now.

Downloads
    Uploads

First "bowl" I ever made. A friend wanted a shallow dish so I made this about 14"x6.5"x1.25" out of Cherry. Rough/finish carved using the CNC but lots of tool marks that needed to be sanded out. Finish coat is general satin top coat.

80/20 extrusion router build-imageuploadedbytapatalk1410816413-272803-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Start of my big gantry CNC version 2. I'm building this cnc for my woodshop. It will be wall mounted since my woodshop area is not big enough to have it lay horizontal. I should end up with a 42"x 58" cutting area. It's going to take me awhile to get this together but it shouldn't be to much of a problem. The axis will be servo driven with Minertia motors and gecko320 drivers. I just bought the gecko drives and 8020 extrusion last week. These were the last major components in this build I needed to buy before I can begin. All items were found on eBay which saved a tremendous amount of money.

The frame will be made with 80/20 extrusion. They will need to be cut to length....

Two 72" 4020 for X axis
    Two 60" 1545 for gantry Y axis
    Six 60" 1020 for stiffen up the frame.

The linear rails and ballscrews are...
    Two 66" THK SSR20 for X axis
    Two 48" NSK LS25 for Y axis
    62" 30mm diameter Steinmeyer ballscrew for X axis
    48" 20mm diameter NSK ballscrew for Y axis
    THK KR33 16" linear guide for Z axis

Wish me luck!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

The linear rails, ballscrews and extrusion....80/20 extrusion router build-imageuploadedbytapatalk1411584384-590793-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking forward to that new machine. Wall mounted has facinated me for awhile. away to get a big panel cutting cnc without taking up 1/3rd of the garage. Are you going to start a new thread for it?

Downloads
    Uploads

The plan is to wall mount it since I don't have any floor space left. It will be angled a bit, similar to a panel saw at Home Depot. The Z height travel will be minimal, maybe 4" to try to keep low profile. Wasn't planning on starting a new thread. This one became a running log of what happening in my shop.

Spent the last couple days ordering all the misc hardware like t-nuts, cap screws, bearings etc. Need some aluminum plate too.

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool, just wanted to know if I would keep watching this thread, or look for a new one when it pops up

Looking forward to your build

Downloads
    Uploads

Side project for my nephew 7th birthday. Finished putting first coat of General TopCoat satin. It's a 30"x40" Lego play table sized to fit twelve 10" square Lego sheets. Base/trim is mahogany and the top play surface is 3/4" oak veneer plywood. First project to use the Festool domino. Loose tenons to connect the legs to the stretchers.

80/20 extrusion router build-imageuploadedbytapatalk1411927964-577619-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

And Lego tables can double as Thomas the Tank Engine type tables too! Either way, they are always too small ...

Paul Rowntree
    Vectric Gadgets, WarpDriver, StandingWave and Topo available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Just a couple recent eBay finds.,,

German Albrecht 1/2" capacity keyless chuck for $85. Its in almost new condition and came in original plastic packing sleeve container. Pretty good deal on a very expensive keyless chuck.

80/20 extrusion router build-imageuploadedbytapatalk1412486609-973515-jpg

Noga magnetic base mount for $30 in really good condition. The adjustablity of this is so much easier and faster than the cheap chinese mag base that I had before. Well worth the cost to have one around the shop.

80/20 extrusion router build-imageuploadedbytapatalk1412486688-872616-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

It's has been a busy winter at work so haven't had a chance to get much done in the workshop. I did find some servo drivers on ebay. Bought 4 applied motion SV7-S-RE drives for $60 each, new unopened sealed package. These are nice industrial brushed/brushless drives that have step/dir inputs. Website lists these at about $500 each, so I got a good deal. I tested one last night and was pretty easy to setup and run. Big CNC#2 will now be servo driven with these instead of the Geckos. I will be installing the geckos on gantry CNC#1, replacing the stepper drives/motors.

Would be nice to find some good brushless motors but they all seem very expensive.

80/20 extrusion router build-imageuploadedbytapatalk1426079471-155955-jpg

Last edited by jfong; 03-11-2015 at 12:52 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

http://i.imgur.com/LdCeFHJ.jpg
    Hooked up one of the Applied Motion SV7 drives to a Parker CM231ae brushless motor I found on eBay for $40. Took a little bit of searching to find the cable color wire hookup to the DB9 connectors. Was able to find the 3 phase power, encoder and hall inputs correctly with the help of my niece since I am color blind. The tuning software is easy to use and had the motor spinning rather effortlessly.

First time using a brushless motor. I have used gecko320's and brushed servos on my other CNC's but the SV7 drive is alot nicer. You can really fine tune the digital PID values so the motor is really stiff but no overshoot. I have never been able to tune a gecko servo drive this well.

Downloads
    Uploads

Picked up a bigger nema34 brushed servo motor for the big gantry x axis ballscrew. 80/20 extrusion router build-imageuploadedbytapatalk1429240153-537829-jpg

Electrocraft E661 27oz-in per amp torque rating with 550oz-in peak torque at 20amps. 500line encoder. $29 ebay price including shipping. Good deal for a big servo. Tested out just fine with gecko320 driver. It's pictured next to the smaller Minertia 17oz-in (200oz-in peak). servo that I was planning on using. After doing some torque calculations, the minertia was to small to drive the big Stienmeyer .66tpi ballscrew. The electrocraft should give me 570 pounds peak thrust at 20amps vs 158 pounds that the minertia will. I will be using 4:1 pulley ratio. I didn't think 158 pounds was enough.

The electrocraft has a 8mm shaft so I could fit a smaller diameter gear to get 4:1. The minertia was 3/8" shaft so 3:1 was the highest ratio I could use with GT3 pulleys. I really wanted a brushless servo but a compatible parker SM233 sized motor is running about $150 on eBay. A little bit to much for a servo motor.

The calculated rapid speed is 660ipm with 4:1 pulley @ 1750rpm. Much more than I need for this CNC.

Downloads
    Uploads

You should not even be considering what the motor will do at 20amps. The peak ratings are only good for a few seconds. If the motor tried to push that many amps for any longer it would be smoked. You should try to size the motors from there continuous rating. Probably 5-7 amps for that motor. The peak is only for acceleration and should not be reached even then. Basically on a industrial machine that shows percent of motor load the 100% Mark is based on its continuous rating.

Ben

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast