WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle

Page 1 of 91 12341151 ... LastLast

Thread: WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle

Default WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle

WOW!
    Its been a long time sense my last build log here on CNCZone!
    Much has happened in my life, some good, and some bad! Many of my family members have passed away, and my arthritis, which had made me stop my projects, has gotten under control! My workshop was unused for over a year

So instead of sitting on the couch watching re-runs, I have been reading and searching the web for the latest CNC stuff! One item which has caught my attention is the 2.2Kw Water Cooled VFD spindles from China! These look like a good place to start another project, although this project is NOT going to be a Mini-Router! In fact there is nothing MINI in this project at all

I have purchased several hundred dollars worth of 3”x3”x ¼” wall steel tubing, along with some 2”x2”x ¼” wall tubing. Several lengths of 16mm round supported steel rails (SBR16), with open bearing trucks. Several lengths of ½”x½” 20-pitch rack gears & pinions with belt drives from cncrouterparts.com The Z-Axis will have HSR15 linear rails, and an Anti-backlash Ball Screw! The spindle will have a submersible pump in a new steel take made for hydraulic fluid reservoir.

This router will have a maximum travel of 96.5”x49”x8” That’s enough room for a full sheet of plywood or MDF
    Its been difficult to acquire the steel, as it’s only sold in 24-foot lengths, so I have made arrangement with a local shop to receive the truckload, and rough cut the tubes for me! Then ill get it to my garage for some preliminary machining prior to welding! This is the next problem, moving 9-foot long steel tubes to & from the welder! Hopefully I will have enough of the parts ready, so the welder can make a stop in my garage!

I will make the CAD file available when all the bugs are gone J

Its time to make chips……………..

Widgit

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_000a-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_000b-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_000c-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_000d-jpg  

Last edited by widgitmaster; 06-08-2013 at 08:06 PM. Reason: added Link
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

Today I started milling the steel end plugs (20 pieces. ) for the 3" steel tubing, they will be pressed into the ends, welded, and machined square!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_001-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_002-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_003-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_004-jpg  

WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_005-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_006-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_007-jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Great to see you back in action..

Downloads
    Uploads

Ditto.
    Looks like this one is going to be a Monster.

Lee

Thanks guys!
    It's good to be back in the Zone!

Here is a picture of my garage floor, after I removed all the machines and drew a line to get perspective on the routers size!
    I have placed some scraps of tubing in the four corners !

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_008-jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome back widgitmaster!!

MDF sheets around here measure 49" x 97". Make sure that you have that much travel + any extra needed for limit switch operation + the distance from your router bit to the rear of the gantry where it hits an end stop. The moving gantry occupies some of the available rail length. I have 12' rails and racks but maximum cut length is 11'4". 6" is lost to the gantry space.

I'll be watching....

CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Like an old friend showing up, you know lots of us will follow your thread:})

Welcome back

Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi widgit
    Great to see you back. I am glad that they finally got the arthritis under control.

Mike

Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome back Eric...it is great to see you back at it again. Your projects are always fascinating. I can already see clones of your Maxi project appearing.

Howdy Carv'e!
    Thanks for the heads up on the MDF!
    Hopefully the shop that's cuttin the long tubes will leave me an extra 1/4" or more!
    Widgit

www.widgitmaster.com

I've been busy all weekend shopping for stuff, looking for deals!
    I now have one of those Super Dust Shoes from KentCNC, I think his use of Magnets is perfect!
    Today I'll go to Grainger to get a 4-ft sample of e-chain with mounting ends, so I can add it to my CAD file!

Its really good to see all the familiar names popping in to my Build Log!
    Thanks Guys!
    Widgit

www.widgitmaster.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

typing in e-chain at grainger returns this:

MP BIOMEDICAL Goat Anti-Human IgE, Chain 2 mL - Secondary Antibodies - 10H456|0855218 - Grainger Industrial Supply

for the life of me I can't figure out why you would need that, but I hope you get well, soon.

Downloads
    Uploads

This is where I got mine from. Nice stuff and ships fairly quick.

Industrial & Scientific : Chains - SourcingMap

Not bad on pricing either.

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by kuroguy View Post
    typing in e-chain at grainger returns this:

MP BIOMEDICAL Goat Anti-Human IgE, Chain 2 mL - Secondary Antibodies - 10H456|0855218 - Grainger Industrial Supply

for the life of me I can't figure out why you would need that, but I hope you get well, soon.

OOPS!
    It's actually an Energy Chain or Wire Track or Cable Chain ......
    Depending on who makes it!

www.widgitmaster.com

This has been a busy day!
    The SBR16 Linear Rails showed up this morning, and the cut steel was dropped of around 5 pm!

WOW, my back hurts just looking at it

The shop that did the cutting for me makes Air Boats, what a fun place to visit

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_009-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_010-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_011-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_012-jpg  

Last edited by widgitmaster; 06-10-2013 at 05:42 PM. Reason: mo text
    www.widgitmaster.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by widgitmaster View Post
    Howdy Carv'e!
    Thanks for the heads up on the MDF!
    Hopefully the shop that's cuttin the long tubes will leave me an extra 1/4" or more!
    Widgit
    I spoke before reading the whole thread title. 5' x 9' should have travel enough to cut the MDF sheets edge to edge.

CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Today I worked on the Gantry side frames.
    First I milled the riser tube to length, then I drilled & countersunk a fillet around the hole for welding!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_013-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_014-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_015-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_024-jpg  

WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_025-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_026-jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Then I band sawed a 45 deg on the gussets, and milled them to length.
    Next I cut a few 1" diam. round plugs, and champfered them in the lathe.
    The plugs will be welded in the cross holes, and machined smooth prior to drilling & counter boring for 3/8 SHCS.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_021-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_022-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_023-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_027-jpg  

www.widgitmaster.com

Next I milled the Long Y-Axis end stops to length, and drilled & tapped the holes for the limit switch setscrew stops.
    Then I drilled & Counter Bored the hole which will attach the stop plates to the ends of the long axis tubes!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_016-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_017-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_019-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_018-jpg  

WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_020-jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Great to see you back in action ! Look forward to watching this build.

Cheers.

Russell.

Page 1 of 91 12341151 ... LastLast