WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle - Page 5

Page 5 of 91 FirstFirst ... 23456781555 ... LastLast

Thread: WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle

Milling the base, or the 3rd datum!

To do this, I needed to rotate the mill's turret, and extend the ram so there was enough travel for the cutter to pass over the entire datum surface. Next I placed my big angle plate on the mill, and bolted some toe-clamps on the side to use as stops. Now the weldment can nest in the corner of the angle plate, squaring both of the previously machined datum's. Once the part & angle plate were in the optimal position on the table, I had to remove them and tram the head in its new location!
    After tramming, I put the angle plate back on location, and used a big square to align it on the table. Then I placed the 3" face-mill in the spindle, and took several light cuts until I had 100% surface cleanup.

Now I have to tear down the entire setup, and put it all on the other side of the mill's table! Because the long tube sticks down under the table, I have to be careful not to feed the weldment into the DRO's linear scales mounted to the side of the mill! Again, I have to tram the head at he spindle's new location, then I can proceed to milling the base of the 2nd weldment!

So far everything has gone perfectly, as all three datum's on both weldments have cleaned up 100%

Now I can drill & ream all the holes with accurate locations!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_099-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_100-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_101-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_102-jpg  

WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_103-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_104-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_105-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_106-jpg  

WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_107-jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

Its getting late, and I'm hungry! But I'll do one more setup!

After removing everything from the mill's table, I put the ram & turret back to normal position & trammed the head one more time (phew !!)
    Then I placed one of the weldments on the table with three 1-2-3 blocks under it so the new datum was parallel to the table! Next, I dialed in the long side, so it was also parallel to the table. Then I used an edge-finder to set the X&Y axis of the DRO to zero. So the front side of the weldment and the base were zero.

Then I moved to location, and drilled two through holes .015" smaller than a .3760" reamer. Then I reamed the holes, creating the 4th & 5th datum's.
    Tomorrow I will finish the next weldment, as its time for food

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_109-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_108-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_110-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_111-jpg  

www.widgitmaster.com

Just a little progress today!
    After I finished drilling & c-boring the 2nd weldment, I flipped them over and dialed them in again. Then I set the DRO to XY-zero on the center of the reamed holes, and drilled & reamed 4x .2501" diam holes .5000" from center. These holes will be for the dowel pins in the end of the gantry beams, the beams went to the welder today and will not be finished for a few days! But the two weldments are now finished and will be the gantry ends.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_112-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_113-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_114-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_058-jpg  

www.widgitmaster.com

Last week I bid on a large steel box for all the electronics, luckily I won it
    Its a new Hoffman Box, 24" x 18" x 6", way more space than what I'll need !

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_115-jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I can almost guarantee that you will fill it up eventually.

CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Quote Originally Posted by CarveOne View Post
    I can almost guarantee that you will fill it up eventually.
    Your probably right Carv'e

I got bored and played in the garage for a few hours this morning, So I managed to finish most of the drilling & reaming on one of the longer tubes!

After all that, I made a mock assembly on the garage floor! Wow, this puppy is gonna be big and heavy

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_116-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_117-jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Widgit!
    That's the box I've been trying to win off of Fleabay! I'm re-engineering (again) my RF45 and decided to switch to a larger enclosure so I can un-pack some of the electrionics. Speaking of which, your going to either have to get a bigger garage/shop or smaller ambitions!
    Great thread (as usual).
    Bill

billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    Hey Widgit!
    That's the box I've been trying to win off of Fleabay! I'm re-engineering (again) my RF45 and decided to switch to a larger enclosure so I can un-pack some of the electrionics. Speaking of which, your going to either have to get a bigger garage/shop or smaller ambitions!
    Great thread (as usual).
    Bill
    How's it going Bill !
    I do admit this project looked much smaller on the computer screen
    But I'm having a blast, as I haven't been able to do anything for a long time!
    Widgit

www.widgitmaster.com

This morning I cleaned the shop, oiled the mill, and decided to setup the 90-Degree head on the mill!
    With the turret rotated 45-Deg., I mounted the 90-Deg head and placed my angle plate in the vise. Next I extended the ram to maximum, and locked down all the bolts! Then I placed a drill chuck in the 90-deg spindle, and clamped a dial indicator to the chuck!

Now I have to tram the head so there are 4-zero's while the spindle is rotated by hand. With the head trammed, I used a 3" face-mill to square up the ends of the 9-ft long tubes. Because the tubes are s heavy, I decided to finish all the drilling & reaming on each end.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_118-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_119-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_120-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_121-jpg  

WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_122-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_123-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_124-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_125-jpg  

www.widgitmaster.com

While I have the mill setup for finishing the ends, I'll finish the front & rear tubes! All the holes have been drilled, tapped and reamed, and all dimensions came from the center of the tube's length. There is about 1/16" material remaining! So I took a light cut, and used my depth-mic to measure from the end to the side of the pin. My calculations say the distance is .4375". So after a few light passes, the two tubes are 100% finished!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_126-jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Now for the moment of truth, will all the pieces fit?
    So I muscled all the tubes over to the other side of the shop, placed the long tube off to the side, and started attaching the legs! This thing is so heavy, that I had to remove some of the tubes just to get one corner up on blocks! But with a little elbow grease, I managed to flip it into its upright position

Wow!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_127-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_128-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_129-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_130-jpg  

WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_131-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_132-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_133-jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Eric,

Good to see you back in force!

Shipping USPS Flat Rate Priority Mail might be a little tricky.

Have a most awesome Independance Day,

Jeff...

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Eric,

Good to see you back in force!

Shipping USPS Flat Rate Priority Mail might be a little tricky.

Have a most awesome Independance Day,

Jeff...

Hi Jeff, Long Time No Chat!
    Widgt

www.widgitmaster.com

Well, it looks like it's round two of the eBay debacle! I won a 2.2Kw water cooled spindle on eBay, they sent me a 2.2Kw inverter along with a 1.5Kw spindle! So after a week of Chinese noodles, they sent me a replacement spindle! Only problem is they didn't package it properly, and it was damaged in shipping

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-damagedvfd-spindle01s-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-damagedvfd-spindle00s-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-damagedvfd-spindle02s-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-damagedvfd-spindle03s-jpg  

www.widgitmaster.com

Today I used a 2-ton screw jack to lift the ends of the assembly, then I screwed in the dual-wheel locking casters. This way I can roll this beast out in the driveway and turn it around, or just work on it outside in the fresh air!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_134-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_135-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_136-jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Next I setup the mill to square the ends of the 2" x 2" gantry rail support tubes. To do this I measured for the 1/8" reamed hole I made a few days ago.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_137-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_138-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_139-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_140-jpg  

www.widgitmaster.com

After milling the tubes to length, I need to drill & tap a 3/8"-16 hole in the center of each tube, along with 4x .2490 diam. reamed holes for dowel pins!
    Next I brought the two tubes to the other side of the shop, and assembled the gantry components! I'm please with how everything has gone together so far

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_141-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_142-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_143-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_144-jpg  

WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_145-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_146-jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice work.

Are you going to have some bracing at the bottom of the legs? A shelf for stock storage?

With the spindle, is it just a broken barb?

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    Very nice work.

Are you going to have some bracing at the bottom of the legs? A shelf for stock storage?

With the spindle, is it just a broken barb?
    Yes, I have some angle iron to brace the corners. Not going to add them until I get allot of other stuff finished!
    As for the dropped spindle, I'm not going to accept it! There is no way of telling how much damage is inside, and I'm not going to open it up as that would really mess the eBay claim up!

www.widgitmaster.com

Happy 4th of July everyone!

Being the obsessive person I am. I worked about 4hr this morning on my project
    First I separated the steel rails from the aluminum supports. Then I cleaned out all the screw holes on the steel rails with compressed air. They were all filled with dirt & chips! Then I gave all the rails a close inspection, and they all are straight and scratch free! Now the supports are another story! They are made from 01-Aluminium extrusions, and all the holes were full of nasty burrs! So I cleaned them up with a file and a scraper!

Now, my goal is to cut the supports so the longest section is in the middle of three, this allows me to place two steel rails on top so the splice is not on top of a splice in the supports! The process was not difficult, as I cut the center supports so the cut was between the mounting holes. This balances the the pieces so the splices in the supports are between the mounting holes!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_152-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_151-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_150-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_149-jpg  

WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_148-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_147-jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Page 5 of 91 FirstFirst ... 23456781555 ... LastLast